Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Remote Charging Adaptor Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do people recommend for adaptors to remotely charge your Roadster at a public remote charging station at 220v or more? Are there options to charge at a Tesla Charging Station? I see there was a Tesla UMC at one time. And a Henry Sharpe makes a CAN adaptor. What are most people using? Are there any available or do I need to to try and find a used one. I have a 3.0 battery.

I love the @hcsharp CAN adapters. I use the CAN Sr at home for charging from a Tesla Wall Connector and the CAN Jr for charging from the J1772 chargers that you can find out most places.

+1 on Henry's CAN JR and CAN SR. Just wish he made an adapter that worked with 220 RV outlets and Dryer outlets. When I bought my car it did not come with any 220 adapters, including the original Tesla pigtail.

+1 on Henry's CAN JR and CAN SR. Just wish he made an adapter that worked with 220 RV outlets and Dryer outlets. When I bought my car it did not come with any 220 adapters, including the original Tesla pigtail.
If you have a CAN SR, you can just use the Gen2 Mobile Connector that is supplied with new Tesla cars. However, the Gen2 UMC is limited to 32A. If you really need 40A from a 14-50 you can use a Gen1 UMC or a Corded Mobile Connector that has a fixed 14-50 plug.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
Ok hypothetically, if you have a CAN Sr but not a CAN JR could you "daisy chain" a Tesla SAE J1772 Charging Adapter with the Can Sr to charge a roadster from a J1772? (Adapter from J1772 to Tesla and adapter from Tesla to Roadster plugs)
(The J1772 to Tesla is rated at 19.2kw)
Is this completely wrong to do what is the risk level of doing this?
Is this something that could be done semi regularly, only in a pinch, or absolutely never?

Ok hypothetically, if you have a CAN Sr but not a CAN JR could you "daisy chain" a Tesla SAE J1772 Charging Adapter with the Can Sr to charge a roadster from a J1772? (Adapter from J1772 to Tesla and adapter from Tesla to Roadster plugs)
Is this something that could be done semi regularly, only in a pinch, or absolutely never?
Yes, you can do that.

Sometimes it might throw a fault on the connection but it's still will engage charging anyways. I've never had an issue without arrangement. I believe the highest I've been able to connect using this method was an 80A charger.

I asked the same question. Using the masters own words
You can, in fact, use Tesla's J1772 adapter with the CAN SR. I've never tried it, however. The reports I've received say that stacking adapters, as it's called, is slightly less reliable but usually works. It's also harder to troubleshoot if it doesn't work. For that reason I don't support it.

This is what I carry - CAN Sr + Tesla j1772 adapter

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses