Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Behold... the Roadster HPC > Model S unicorn horn.

I've got one of these HPC Roadster to Model S adapters (bought in US with a used HPC)
.. BUT .. I'm in UK and Model S in has a different Plug (type 2).

Question/request: does anyone have the pin-out diagram for the US Model S charging plug (as on cable in video). ?? This is so that I can cut off the plug and replace it with a EU Model S charging plug

I've got one of these HPC Roadster to Model S adapters (bought in US with a used HPC)
.. BUT .. I'm in UK and Model S in has a different Plug (type 2).

Question/request: does anyone have the pin-out diagram for the US Model S charging plug (as on cable in video). ?? This is so that I can cut off the plug and replace it with a EU Model S charging plug
It doesn't have enough large wires to supply 3-phase. If you're only going to be charging a Roadster from the new Type 2 connector with an adapter then that won't be a problem.

It doesn't have enough large wires to supply 3-phase. If you're only going to be charging a Roadster from the new Type 2 connector with an adapter then that won't be a problem.

Thanks Henry - no not 3 phase.
My Roadster HPC will give 70Amp max on single phase. Good for roadster. Also better than I can get into the Model S at home (the tesla home model S charger, and others here in UK, will only give 32Amp maximum).
So being able to go from 32A upto 70A for the model S would be nice.

That 'roadster HPC charger to Model S cable' in video was never available in the UK, as 2 years delay before we got Model S in 2014 - I got mine (used) in the USA, which is why I need to swap the plugs: MS US to MS EU.

Hoovies Garage explains why the 2010 Roadster 2.0 Sport was a total failure.

So now we have complete Roadster newbies who've done nothing more than read a Fortune article and browse our forums, explain things?

There are so many factual errors, it's hard to list them all. From dates of when things went wrong, to that Tesla never made money on Roadster, to somehow that current TPMS failures are indicative of early problems with drivetrains, to even his assertion that the Roadster has a lower center of gravity than the Elise since its electric, not to mention that he thinks 41K miles is "way above average" for these cars, etc. etc. etc.

But that's the internet for ya. Anyone with a camera can spread misinformation.

Reactions: DeedWest
So now we have complete Roadster newbies who've done nothing more than read a Fortune article and browse our forums, explain things?

There are so many factual errors, it's hard to list them all. From dates of when things went wrong, to that Tesla never made money on Roadster, to somehow that current TPMS failures are indicative of early problems with drivetrains, to even his assertion that the Roadster has a lower center of gravity than the Elise since its electric, not to mention that he thinks 41K miles is "way above average" for these cars, etc. etc. etc.

But that's the internet for ya. Anyone with a camera can spread misinformation.
Just to document this, in case anyone else is confused... He claims that the ideal range of 160 miles is 80%, representing a 20% degradation. No, it's not. He's comparing Standard vs Range mode, something foreign to Model-S/X/3 owners. My car is similar (2010 model, 49k miles, 162 miles standard charge), which represents about 13.7% degradation, as I get about 214 miles in range mode, vs 248 original spec. The only thing he got right in this regard is that 160 miles is an 80-ish % charge, which is what standard mode does.