TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster Videos

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by Roadster, Feb 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

A quintessential Tesla Roadster 2.5 trailer by AutoMotoTV.

2. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Schwarzenegger introduces Eberhard who unveils the Roadster at the 2006 L.A. Auto Show.

3. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Behold... the Roadster HPC > Model S unicorn horn.

4. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

Fascinating talk by Marc Tarpenning @Tesla Co-founder. About early days and pooling motivations about how to change minds, globally: he worked in Saudi and wanted to rid the world of 'oil politics' other co-founders were interested in #climatebreakdown

Its affirming to hear Americans think Big and Positively, cf some cynical, negative Brits

5. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

I've got one of these HPC Roadster to Model S adapters (bought in US with a used HPC)
    .. BUT .. I'm in UK and Model S in has a different Plug (type 2).

Question/request: does anyone have the pin-out diagram for the US Model S charging plug (as on cable in video). ?? This is so that I can cut off the plug and replace it with a EU Model S charging plug

6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

It doesn't have enough large wires to supply 3-phase. If you're only going to be charging a Roadster from the new Type 2 connector with an adapter then that won't be a problem.

7. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

Thanks Henry - no not 3 phase.
    My Roadster HPC will give 70Amp max on single phase. Good for roadster. Also better than I can get into the Model S at home (the tesla home model S charger, and others here in UK, will only give 32Amp maximum).
    So being able to go from 32A upto 70A for the model S would be nice.

That 'roadster HPC charger to Model S cable' in video was never available in the UK, as 2 years delay before we got Model S in 2014 - I got mine (used) in the USA, which is why I need to swap the plugs: MS US to MS EU.

8. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

9. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Hoovies Garage explains why the 2010 Roadster 2.0 Sport was a total failure.

10. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

So now we have complete Roadster newbies who've done nothing more than read a Fortune article and browse our forums, explain things?

There are so many factual errors, it's hard to list them all. From dates of when things went wrong, to that Tesla never made money on Roadster, to somehow that current TPMS failures are indicative of early problems with drivetrains, to even his assertion that the Roadster has a lower center of gravity than the Elise since its electric, not to mention that he thinks 41K miles is "way above average" for these cars, etc. etc. etc.

But that's the internet for ya. Anyone with a camera can spread misinformation.

• Like x 1
  11. gregd

gregd Active Member

Just to document this, in case anyone else is confused... He claims that the ideal range of 160 miles is 80%, representing a 20% degradation. No, it's not. He's comparing Standard vs Range mode, something foreign to Model-S/X/3 owners. My car is similar (2010 model, 49k miles, 162 miles standard charge), which represents about 13.7% degradation, as I get about 214 miles in range mode, vs 248 original spec. The only thing he got right in this regard is that 160 miles is an 80-ish % charge, which is what standard mode does.

12. backmost

backmost Member

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Walkaround + overview of a RHD 2011 Roadster Sport.

14. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

2012 Roadster at the 2012 Toronto Auto Show.

15. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

22 Roadster rally in Geneva in 2012.

16. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

Odd Chap :D

• Funny x 1
  17. DrivingTheFuture

Goo
    Good ol JB... He'll be missed

18. DrivingTheFuture

My friend takes his R80 roadster sport on the track (footage starts at 5:16 in)

19. Gabner

Gabner Member

Comparing my lotus Elise to my Tesla roadster.

• Like x 1
  20. DrivingTheFuture

What are you using for your phone mount in the Tesla and what is it attached to? One of the things I'll have to solve in my 2008