Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roanoke VA to Haymarket VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Roanoke but travel to Haymarket frequently via I-81 and I-66. Has anyone made this trip? Can it be done on a single charge? In winter?

I want to get a Model S, but this drive is a frequent need of mine and is making me hold back on the purchase.

In Google maps it says thats 204 miles. Even in really cold/hot an 85 kw battery Model S can make that trip. We are always comfortable with 250 miles. (non-mountainous). But then you need a plan for a full recharge. Overnight with a 14-50 (240 volts and 40 amps) will work, like 9 hours. This can be campgrounds or some friends with good connectors. A J1772 at some store (like you find on Recargo) would only be about 200V at 24 to 30 amps. This is more like 15 hours. So quick answer is yes, one-way, 85kwh battery. But you need a charging solution to return.

The Superchargers are only on the main drag I-95. So you could use those (washington soon and Richmond very soon) but your mileage and time would be much more. Looks like 300 miles with a mid trip 30 min SC charge.

If you're reasonable with your speed then it should be fine. The real question is where to charge in Haymarket. Are you overnighting there or is it a day trip? If overnighting, are you staying in Haymarket, where there are no charging options, or Manassas where there are quite a few?

As a point of reference, I do a Boston drive every month which is 170 miles. Similar terrain as on 81. With a range charge, and driving 75mph, I have about 70 miles to spare on arrival. Haven't tried in the winter or with snow on the ground but I expect it won't be an issue. I can do a day trip since there is a public charger in the lot near my office and a 10 hour charge gets me more than enough range to get back home.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a charging point in Haymarket at my parents, but I would probably have to install another 240 V line or high power wall charger. The Manassas charging point Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee is right off 66 and free which looks like a good option, but not super convenient. If I can find a good fast charging spot near a Starbucks along I-81 that would be great too.

A bit of an old request, but at 205 miles I would want at least 250 mile reported range before tackling this trip in winter. I am finding the range gets whacked pretty hard in the cold. I think this is mostly in the initial miles as the battery does warm up after a while, but it takes a lot longer than a regular car.

If you have a 240 volt outlet of at least 30 amps you can precondition the car before your trip. This warms up the battery and gets you back some of the lost range.

Then the really good news is the new Supercharging station in Haymarket is open and working great. The bad news is I've discovered what they mean by the Sheetz Restaurant and it's not impressive. There are other places to eat, but all fast food unless you cross the large and rather busy intersection to a shopping center or walk a half mile the other way to a restaurant.

Of course there are Superchargers at Strasburg, Mt Jackson and Lexington as well. But since this should be a chargeless trip not needed.

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl