Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, the loaner P85D he was driving in that video did not have Ludicrous mode, it was just "Insane". And judging by his reaction, he felt that term was spot on. [emoji6]
It's interesting how some people react physiologically to the rapid acceleration in Insane mode. They can get blurred vision, dizziness, nausea; none of which you want to experience while driving. I test drove a P85D in Insane mode early this year and happily did not have those reactions under max acceleration. But apparently many people do.

My inner ear is very messed up, I can't fly without dramamine under any conditions. One thing that can trigger motion sickness in those prone to it is a sensory disconnect. I know people who have become ill in IMAX theaters because of the brain's confusion between what the eye is taking in and what the inner ear feels. From the review in Consumer Reports, the guy who test drove the P85D the first time in Insane mode said it was the most terrifying thing he'd ever done in a car and he's driven some of the highest performance sports cars in the world. He said what made it so terrifying was the disconnect between the acceleration and what you heard. With ICE sports cars that can pull big gs, you have the audio sensation of the engine screaming, but the P85D is quiet and that can scramble the brain used to the noise.

Compared to what someone would experience in a fighter, the 1 g the P85D can produce is not that much. A WW II dive bomber would usually pull out of a dive at around 5gs. WW II fighters could do 7 and modern fighter pilots need to be rated to 9gs. The planes can often do more than that. A USN catapult launch is about 2.5gs.

But all these things are done in environments where there is a lot of experience and in many cases you have a lot of room to do something if something goes wrong. Even launching from a carrier you are well away from the ship by the time you know there is a problem and there is always a rescue helicopter in the air if you need to punch out. With a car accelerating that hard, unless you're on a test track, there is the added risk that if something ends up in front of you, things are going to go pear shaped very quickly combined with the silence. Because of the silence, people who might step out into the road, or an animal, or another car can't hear the noise and know someone is hot rodding.

You experience significantly more G jumping off a wall. From head height into concrete without shoes or bending your knees it can be as high as 60G.

The p85d sustains a G for several seconds which is enough time for the blood to move upwards and yes it does feel very strange. I haven't lost my vision yet.

ps free fall on a trampoline despite the lower de-acceleration feels very strange on my head.

You experience significantly more G jumping off a wall. From head height into concrete without shoes or bending your knees it can be as high as 60G.

The p85d sustains a G for several seconds which is enough time for the blood to move upwards and yes it does feel very strange. I haven't lost my vision yet.

ps free fall on a trampoline despite the lower de-acceleration feels very strange on my head.

I chose those examples because they are sustained enough to cause black outs or at least gray outs. The American Navy dive bombers had an auto pilot for pullout to keep the plane flying for a bit until the pilot could wake up. By late 1944 a lot of American fighter pilots were being issued g-suits to keep them from passing out during tight turns. With g-suits some pilots returned with popped rivets in the wings.

Different people will begin to feel the g-forces before others. Modern fighter pilot training tests people for g tolerances. On average taller people have problems before shorter people and women can tolerate high gs better than men. Though there are exceptions all over the map.

Except much less risk of explosion.

(Fuel explosions are always due to vapors, not liquids, so an almost-empty gas tank is actually more dangerous than a full one.)

Until I saw this, I was going to post in the "ICE cars are dangerous thread." A family of four was tragically incinerated on highway 10 in Quebec over the weekend in an accident with an empty diesel tanker.

Except for the huge tanker fire, nothing confirmed, but here is the tanker company's version of the events:

1) A road-rage fight resulted in a man being knocked down on the highway.
2) Tanker tries to avoid him, ends up overturning.
3) Cars pile-up into the tanker.
4) One of the cars catches fire and the flames ignite the fumes in the empty tanker.
5) One vehicle was stuck under the tanker and its occupants had no chance.

Highway 10 crash near Granby killed Montreal family of 4 - Montreal - CBC News

After watching the latest video, I was looking though Facebook, and saw this post from Tesla Motors...

Screenshot_2015-08-03-11-55-22.png

I took a neighbour for a spin in an ordinary 85D. Later he told me that he used to fly second seat in an F18. He said the first time I accelerated onto the freeway in a slight curve and floored it from maybe 15mph, he felt for the first time in a long time like pulling G's in a fighter plane again. I guess the no sound to moderated G's disconnect throws some people off. Similar with a plane, you do not need to open the throttle pull some G's.

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged Tesla videos finally convinced me to place an order but for a 'cooking' 90D though rather than the insane or ludicrous variants!

Thanks Robert, hope to meet you at a Supercharger sometime :)