Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chip on side window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to dashcam including side cameras, I was able to calm down (plus the fact that it didn't hit paint). I thought someone threw a rock at my car because i heard a loud ping when I came to a stop at a light. I thought maybe it was the cyclists. Turns out, it's a freak coincidence that one of the cyclists ran over a rock, shot it up and right at my car, thankfully not striking paint but the corner rear side window. It put a rock chip in there but I much rather take that than paint damage.

Scroll to around 13 seconds:

Amazing that you figured it out. I circled the pebble in red.
Pebble.png

This is why I preach PPF on as much of painted areas as a budget allows. Flying debris can strike anywhere anytime and I have experienced paint chips on just about every panel on a car 20+ years.

Yeah, I think I will definitely do this on my next car I buy new. This one is a lease so it didn't make sense for me to do all that. But I was really about to stop and yell at the cyclists....you see me pause a bit there because I was looking at them to see if they acknowledged doing something but it didn't seem like they did, so then I figured it must have been someone else in another car that threw something at my car. I can't believe a bicycle tire going over a small rock could do that. pretty crazy...

I have done that exact thing myself while bicycling. Really all you can do is be extremely apologetic. It's not like you can swerve to avoid every pebble, and it's true... when you hit them just right, they shoot out like a BB.