Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocker panels gone beige on my M3 AWD white new may 23.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, thanks for your replies. Here is a picture just taken. Car's a bit dirty, but I'm sure you can see the issue.

Attachments

• M3 long range awd rocker panel driver's side .jpg
    M3 long range awd rocker panel driver's side .jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I can blow the picture up but it looks like at the far left edge there is a seem like this is a piece of PPF?
No, that's just a leaf from the road. No edges sticking up/out. But, yes, the edges upwards towards the doors are pronounced, all the way from front to back, on both sides. I thought it was ppf as well, but it is not something I have done, car is new, from May 23, driven 15000 km only. I have just requested a service appointment with Tesla here.

I have seen several threads over the years about this PPF-like film over the rocker panels. I don't know if it is an actual self-healing PPF or some cheaper clear plastic film.

I think checking with Tesla is the right thing to do. If Tesla doesn't give you helpful info, I personally would try the following:

Assuming a normal car wash does not remove the yellowing, I would first try a PPF cleaner such as Xpel PPF Film Cleaner:

If that doesn't work, I would try 99% Isopropol Alchohol, but I would first do a very small test spot to make sure the alcohol does not damage the film.

If that doesn't work, I might try a stronger all purpose cleaner such as Optimum Power Clean diluted 3 to 1:

Finally, if that doesn't work, then I might consider a PPF-specific polish such as Gyeon PPF Renew and do a light machine polish:

Reactions: jbm1