Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolling stops: regen braking (poll)

With Tesla's full regen braking, at stop signs...

• I nevertheless usually come to a full stop using real brakes

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I admit to doing rolling stops even before my Tesla, so I do it now also (not full stops)

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • I do find now with the Tesla I am doing rolling stops more than I did before

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having bought my M3 just a few months ago (Dec 2019), and with Upstate NY winters and generally short distance driving (5mi commutes), I haven't often experienced the full regen braking/one pedal driving paradigm. But it just peaked at 52degs F (going back down into the 20's soon), so I got a better taste of regen braking/one pedal recently. Its too bad that it is so temperature dependent -- it seems like Tesla *could* figure out how to make the regen braking experience consistent regardless of temperature (just dump the charge to the heaters or capacitors if the batteries can't take it).

Anyways, coming from a manual BMW 328xi, I admit I often don't fully stop at stop signs etc, and I typically try to avoid using the real brakes, but just use engine braking/down shifting. With the M3 and full regen braking, that tendency is just as prevalent if not more so -- how else does one avoid brake wear and capture all that energy back? :)

So I wonder if others have found that with full regen brake tend towards the "rolling stop" rather than a full stop using real brakes?

Anyways, coming from a manual BMW 328xi, I admit I often don't fully stop at stop signs etc, and I typically try to avoid using the real brakes, but just use engine braking/down shifting. With the M3 and full regen braking, that tendency is just as prevalent if not more so -- how else does one avoid brake wear and capture all that energy back? :)

So I wonder if others have found that with full regen brake tend towards the "rolling stop" rather than a full stop using real brakes?

It does not matter what temperature it is and how much or little Regen that your Model 3 has, you admitted that you do rolling stops at most if not all stop signs in your BMW 328xi as well as your Model 3. Where are the police when we need them.

I have owned 2 Model S Tesla's since 2015 and do full stops at all stop signs. I have driven Tesla's long enough that I know where to release the accelerator and allow Regen to reduce the speed to about 6 to 9 miles per hour before I press the brake pedal (I have creep turned on). Yes you have to release the accelerator sooner in cold weather. If you are going down a hill in cold weather, you have to use the brakes more than on flatter roads.

My wife constantly does rolling stops in her 2017 Lexus RX-350. I have asked her so many times to do full stops at stops signs but she never does it. I wish there was a police officer watching so when she runs a stop signs that they would give her a ticket.

It does not matter what temperature it is and how much or little Regen that your Model 3 has, you admitted that you do rolling stops at most if not all stop signs in your BMW 328xi as well as your Model 3. Where are the police when we need them.

I have owned 2 Model S Tesla's since 2015 and do full stops at all stop signs. I have driven Tesla's long enough that I know where to release the accelerator and allow Regen to reduce the speed to about 6 to 9 miles per hour before I press the brake pedal (I have creep turned on). Yes you have to release the accelerator sooner in cold weather. If you are going down a hill in cold weather, you have to use the brakes more than on flatter roads.

My wife constantly does rolling stops in her 2017 Lexus RX-350. I have asked her so many times to do full stops at stops signs but she never does it. I wish there was a police officer watching so when she runs a stop signs that they would give her a ticket.
How would you feel if I told you I've buried the needle in a BMW on a public highway?

• Funny
Reactions: AdamMacDon
I don’t brake very differently with an EV compared to an ICE vehicle. Some stop signs really require a full stop, others it’s merely a suggestion. I’m not sure how the available regen really impacts this. I don’t really like how the car drives with a cold battery, so I tend to preheat long enough to warm it up so there’s at least half the regen bar. The power is limited with a cold battery as well, so the car is kinda slow until it’s preheated. That tends to be the priority over the regen power, but single pedal driving is nice. It’s more predictable to use regen for braking than the friction brakes sometimes, assuming the battery is warm.

And there’s really nowhere for the extra energy to go. The max regen power is more than 10x what the heater will take, and there’s no capacitors onboard that hold meaningful energy. It would be possible to use the motor to heat itself, and in turn the battery, but the thermal design of the motor appears to be a bit too limited for this to be practical at moderate energy without a redesign.

None of the above. I'm fastidious about full stops, and always have been. Since we got one-pedal driving a few months ago, most often by modulating the accelerator just right, I come to a full stop right where I should. Sure, sometimes I'm coming in a little hot, or I have limited regen (dots) and use the brake, but that's the exception.

It doesn’t look like you have all the options in your poll.

In general I come to a complete stop using Tesla regen breaking and hold mode.
your survey is missing an option: Full stop using Regen only (not brakes), which is the whole point of one-pedal driving.
I see... perhaps having less than 3mos of driving my M3, I don't quite have the technique down, but at least around here (subfreezing temps), I really don't see how it is possible to do "full stop regen only". Even regen+hold *must* be using real brakes to do the hold plus "when coming in too hot". And that is nearly always in cold temps... regen is rarely enough to do full stop.

But okay I should add the option (if I could) for regen+hold... for the poll, the intention was that that mode was covered under the first option... perhaps I was too winter-centric. Part of why I was calling for Tesla to figure out a way to make the regen braking experience not temperature dependent.

Last edited:
Fellow upstater curious how you confirmed that? The brake lights do turn on during strong enough regen.
1) the feel and sound of regen braking is quite different than real brakes
2) applying add'n braking with the brake pedal, you can guess how much is already being applied
3) turning off hold mode, you can tell how much regen-only braking is available -- the different can only be the action of the real brakes