Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Bars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a perfect world no they do not, but every Tesla is unique and many a cracked roof has been caused by following the instructions exactly.

Before I bought my bars I researched this very issue, there a few instances where people have cracked their glass roof but this is because their roof is either out of tolerance or because they haven't followed the instructions. There are inserts under the glass which secure the roof if you don't put the clips in these you will break the glass but they are marked on the glass, its pretty hard to miss them and its obvious when they are inserted correctly.

Have you actually installed some bars or are you just repeating something you have read?

Thanks everyone :)

I'm planning on seeing if Tesla can fit them for me. Can't imagine the hassle I’ll have should the worst happen and I need to call and try make the point of tolerances being out as the reason my roof is cracked.

£430 for a set of roof bars is F*****g ridiculous, don’t care if it’s Teslas own it’s a joke :mad:.

I’ll take this hit as I have no choice (currently) on this but Tesla can go spin with the other accessories.

Also, do normal bike carriers (Thule) fit on these or have the brains behind Tesla made their own as well?

Also, do normal bike carriers (Thule) fit on these or have the brains behind Tesla made their own as well?

Thule ones do fit, what I have found is that the T nuts on the Thule do not slide into the slot easily as the rubber is tight and being rubber there is a lot of friction.
I now put a bit of lubricant on the rubber so that they slide more freely.

It's all a bit of a fiddle but it works.

Thule ones do fit, what I have found is that the T nuts on the Thule do not slide into the slot easily as the rubber is tight and being rubber there is a lot of friction.
I now put a bit of lubricant on the rubber so that they slide more freely.

It's all a bit of a fiddle but it works.

I'll give this a try, thanks.

Do Tesla make you wait on the bars or have people had a good turnaround time from point of order?

Ever considered carried the bikes on the tow hitch (if you ordered with tow hitch?). I am intending to buy with tow hitch for this reason so that we can sling bikes on the back rather than on top.
Me too -- unfortunately the tow hitch bike carrier I bought from Thule cost about as much as the roof bars!

There are also reports of a much greater hit on range because you're carrying the bike(s) sideways although with only one bike I am hoping that effect is reduced.