Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof box recommendations for m3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yakima RocketBox 11, third year with it.

E227FEF6-DC23-419D-9F6A-84760FAE3AAC.jpeg

Has anyone tried mounting the roofbox backwards and testing your efficiency? I remember reading reports that it helped a fair bit but have only seen anecdotal evidence of that.
I have a Thule Ascent 1600 that I tested mounted with the pointed end forward and the flat side forward (backwards?). With the flat side forward the car was on average 12% more efficient on the same freeway runs. I also tested this driving from Portland to San Francisco. The box was perhaps slightly more noisy, but the efficiency improvement was well worth it.

I have a Thule Ascent 1600 that I tested mounted with the pointed end forward and the flat side forward (backwards?). With the flat side forward the car was on average 12% more efficient on the same freeway runs. I also tested this driving from Portland to San Francisco. The box was perhaps slightly more noisy, but the efficiency improvement was well worth it.
Wow, that's quite an improvement! It makes me wonder why roof boxes are designed the way they are if turning them around increases efficiency so much