Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating my own tires, will this cheap 3-ton jack do the trick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys,

I want to rotate my own wheels. I've always done it, as I don't need an appointment with myself, but since my move to the US, am out a floor jack and tools. Is the rumor that rotation is included with the car? Or is that with service plans?
Anyways, I want to get a good jack, that is easy to get to the right jack point, and interfaces well with the car. 3 tons seems like plenty.
Then Harbor Freight sends me this, at 80$:
image_23401.jpg

3 ton Low Profile Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®

Hey guys,

I want to rotate my own wheels. I've always done it, as I don't need an appointment with myself, but since my move to the US, am out a floor jack and tools. Is the rumor that rotation is included with the car? Or is that with service plans?
[...snip...]
the prepaid service plan does include tire rotation at a service center, it's written in the service plan agreement. don't know if it's free without the plan.

coincidentally I'm looking for a floor jack too to do winter wheel swaps (thinking ahead, as I don't actually have winter tires yet...). I already picked up a nice breaker bar, torque wrench and 21mm socket on sale at Canadian Tire - do you miss shopping there, @e-FTW? :)

don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anybody know if Torin floor jacks are any good? in particular I stumbled upon this 2.5 ton-rated one at a Walmart while on a short road trip to Seattle. didn't buy it at the time, but wondering if the Torin jack is worth considering, it almost seems too cheap. Seems people like Harbor Freight jacks but not sure if I can get them up here

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
Thoughts on the best tools for the lug nuts? From what I read elsewhere around here, they are capped and a touch fragile.
In case you haven't come across this in other threads, rotating tires can be a problem with only a floor jack because there is no way to get a jack stand under a given corner once jacked up. There is no central jack point to use to lift the car while placing the stand under the jack point.

Not an issue if doing a winter/summer swap as there is an extra wheel to allow you to swap one corner at a time.

In case you haven't come across this in other threads, rotating tires can be a problem with only a floor jack because there is no way to get a jack stand under a given corner once jacked up. There is no central jack point to use to lift the car while placing the stand under the jack point.

Not an issue if doing a winter/summer swap as there is an extra wheel to allow you to swap one corner at a time.
I was just coming back to ask about jack stands...
Hmm.

This is why I'm currently evaluating bottle jacks. Something without wheels.

Tire rotations are free as long as the tires match OEM, but I'd rather do it myself going forward.

So it looks like 2 bottle jacks, 4 hockey pucks, 2 jack stands, and 2 wheel chocks just for good measure.
You add the jack stands because you rotate in an X pattern?
From a previous post here, looks like there are no good spots for jack stands...

You add the jack stands because you rotate in an X pattern?
From a previous post here, looks like there are no good spots for jack stands...

Good catch. Habit, really, as to not rely upon any single point of failure (e.g., the jack). My plan is to fashion a wide (wider, relatively speaking) platform for the top of each jack stand and to insert both directly adjacent each jack. That way, if the jack fails and I'm near the car, there's something to take the load. Worst case is there's battery damage. Given the potential alternative, it's an acceptable risk.

Hadn't thought of the sharing idea... Maybe something to suggest to the local Tesla owners club?

Was thinking the same thing. And in a perfect world, a region of clubs might arrange a groups discount, but one thing at a time. These would be perfect things to have as club loanables (jack, jack stands, ChaDeMo adapter, maybe a tentsla, a set of snow tires/wheels, and the list goes on).

And before you know it... Dues, structure, a Sergeant at Gear, and everystuff.

So, reading that other thread (thanks @f-stop ), looks like you might be able to get one side high enough to be able to place a standard jack stand under the innocupied jack point. Check out the yellow caliper pics.
So one stand, and a jack. Not perfect, but can work. I would definitely add wheel chocks. That would allow a front to back wheel rotation. No X pattern.

Or spend 300$ for a fantastic solution that looks very well engineered.

Last edited: