Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough Power Situation - Should I upgrade? Electric advice sought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge at home from a 30amp 240v outlet (24amp max setting) without any issues. Its actually not too bad. I just unplug my drier in the garage and plug the car in when needed. I am in the same situation as you with the older house.
did you use a special 30amp plug purchased from tesla? or just anything that would plug into your outlet. some say that special plug is needed so that the car knows what amperage to use. i kinda think the car computer can figure it out??

We live in a house with a 100 amp system.

We have an electric car now. A MB B class. With a 40 amp breaker to a Blink charger. We charger between 11p and 6a. As others have noted the install is split phase.

We have NEVER blown the main breaker - we have a 50 amp breaker for the AC system - but we did install a new system last year that maxes at 40amps. So the breaker is now oversized.

We have run the AC, the frig and the car charger all at the same time with zero issues.

I would not worry about it. As long as you're not running the heavy amp users all at the same time - which is not likely.

We did have the AC running over night a few nights this year- and as I mentioned - never blew anything -

did you use a special 30amp plug purchased from tesla? or just anything that would plug into your outlet. some say that special plug is needed so that the car knows what amperage to use. i kinda think the car computer can figure it out??

At first I used a generic adapter bought off amazon. Had to dial the car down manually to 24 amps. I have since then bought a HPWC and plug that into the outlet when needed. The HPWC dials the amperage down itself. Really convenient.

@comanchepilot the question I believe @jbwinton was asking is if it is ok to just make a homemade adapter to plug the car into a 30a outlet and have the car figure it out.

With 100 amp service thats still an important consideration in summer when your AC is running the same time your car is charging and your regular high energy appliances are cranking. A tesla will know it cannot pull more that X amps from a particular circuit when the charger is properly configured for the Amp draw, but it has no idea what you house's max amperage is. . .

Will any adapters not included with car need to be ordered via shop.tesla or will the dealer have any in stock? E.G. a 14-30 adapter

I went to a Tesla store (I don't think they like being called 'dealers' but anyway...) to see if they had any adaptors for sale. They did not, said to order online or drive to the larger Tesla service center in my area, not the smaller mall store I visited. Decided to just order the 14-30 adaptor online, $35 and I think it might've been free shipping. Decided to just go ahead and order now even though I'm probably months away from my car.