Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough ride on My PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MY PUP a couple of days ago and wasted no time in swapping out the Uberturbines for 20’ TSS Sportlines.

I didn’t care much for the look of the Uberturbines and was expecting to gain some range and improve the ride, but to my disappointment, the ride didn’t improve and it feels pretty harsh.

Has anyone noticed that the ride is very firm and can something be done in the software or options to soften the experience?

• Helpful
Reactions: Prof
Nothing can be done in the software to change the ride feel. In my opinion the ride is actually very soft and smooth. I am coming from a low sport suspension on my Golf R though. My 92 year old Grandpa who likes floaty boat Cadillacs drove my Model Y today and he said it rides nicely.

Reactions: Kelr316
I picked up my MY PUP a couple of days ago and wasted no time in swapping out the Uberturbines for 20’ TSS Sportlines.

I didn’t care much for the look of the Uberturbines and was expecting to gain some range and improve the ride, but to my disappointment, the ride didn’t improve and it feels pretty harsh.

Has anyone noticed that the ride is very firm and can something be done in the software or options to soften the experience?

Unfortunately the PUP has stiffer lower suspension springs vs other Y, Performance or not.
I have changed from the stock 21 Überturbines to 20", and settled down with 19" wheels with 255/40 tires.

Noticed less jarring ride more so on 19s, but not much less on 20s vs the 21s.

There may be softer springs, aftermarket, in the future just like for Model 3 to replace the stiffer Y PUP springs.

Last edited:

Let's see a pic of the new wheels. I have the 21's also and am trying to decide if I want to stick with the 21's or go down to 20's. I am coming from an M235i so the ride for me is much smoother than what I am accustom to.

Let's see a pic of the new wheels. I have the 21's also and am trying to decide if I want to stick with the 21's or go down to 20's. I am coming from an M235i so the ride for me is much smoother than what I am accustom to.
T Sportline 20" TSS Flow Forged wheels in gloss black.
IMG_1346.jpeg IMG_1348.jpeg IMG_1351.jpeg IMG_1356.jpeg

If anyone is regretting getting the performance model, I will trade (plus cash). Just picked up my non-P and am wishing I would have sprung for the performance. After driving the model 3 for 2 years, the Y seems sluggish.

I think there's a pretty good chance you'll have the acceleration-boost to get you 1/2 way there sometime. Personally, the MYP didn't feel any faster than the M3 AWD. Both are violent enough to make me feel ill. Tires will likely last longer on the AWD as well.

I think there's a pretty good chance you'll have the acceleration-boost to get you 1/2 way there sometime. Personally, the MYP didn't feel any faster than the M3 AWD. Both are violent enough to make me feel ill. Tires will likely last longer on the AWD as well.

If your model Y Performance doesn't feel any faster than a non-P Model 3, then you can imagine how slow the non-P model Y feels in comparison :)

I have both the Model 3 Performance and Model Y Performance.

I noticed the same thing. The Model Y Performance is significantly more harsh than the model 3 performance. I brought the tire pressures down to 40 and it's still a gongshow of a ride. Model 3 performance on the other hand is just fine.

Could be the pirelli tires (running PS4's on the M3). Either way, I agree. Super harsh/bumpy ride!!

i agree, took my family out for a trip, and my MIL had to vomit after we had a stop... of course i didn't stop hearing it from her on the way home. the ride quality is pretty jarring, i think it's a combination of the weight of the battery pack, stiffer springs, and 21" rims.

• Funny
Reactions: captanzuelo
I was running 40psi. Just dropped to 38psi and seems to be significantly better.

On another note I can no longer find the option to reset the TPMS pressure warning zone. Has tesla removed it from newer software versions?