Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Audi

The Audi Resonances and ISD values are all greater than the Tesla.
Yes I agree, but when you look at the wavelength spacing, the tesla it is very concentrated in regular periods. In the audi you feel it in one wheel at a time all the time. In the tesla the whole car bounces.

The test is hard to repeat in acceleration, speed, track, etc. It may also have been that the phone was not as well secured in the audi. However, in multiple tests, consistently the audi showed "noise" and the tesla showed "waves".

My complaint about the tesla is that it bounces. In the audi you feel the road but the kids don't get sick in the back seat, my wife doesn't get a back ache, and the head rest doesn't pound the back of my head.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Interestingly,
Our weather warmed up for the first time since I've had my car. Today we are in the 40s.

It rides significantly better now. It's like a completely different car.

It's still rough, but a rough ride I'd expect with a sports car, not the headache inducing jackhammer effect.

I have no idea what that means.

I thought the same a few months back at the start of summer, but eventually it would go back to rough-riding. I suggest capturing some VibSensor plots while it feels smooth so you can compare when it goes back to rough. I'm doing the same.

Do you have air suspension? If so, could you cycle through the 4 heights, then see if the roughness returns?

Was holding off adding to this thread. Since realizing the hatch adjusters were not set properly, and fixed them, the day I did that was warmer, and local really bumpy roads as well as the 100 miles road trip, the ride was 99% improved.

Monday it was cooler, and while the ride was not as harsh as my first 200 miles on the car, it was noticeably different. Hoping it get cold here again, but the next 10 days are looking to be around 50. Never thought I'd be hoping for cold weather.

Maybe we got California shocks on our cars...

I have to admit my car has been behaving much better as well. Even my kid said it's not "bouncy" anymore. I did adjust the frunk and trunk which were both way out. I also broke 2000 miles. With the warm weather my tires have been at 44psi. Reserving judgement, I will try and get a baseline "smooth" ride.

Found a part # on my front right shock DMS2 E4-FD1 Z230B06 PINK

Attachments

• 20170118_201529.jpg
    20170118_201529.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 98
I've driven around for a few days now after adjusting the trunk hatch adjusters and I've got to say, the ride quality is really improved! It's still firm, but the really harsh gut wrenching jolts are gone. I'm having a hard time believing that after 10 months of rough riding, a couple turns of a few rubber adjusters is all it took to fix.. Crazy!

I find it difficult to believe that trunk hatch bumpers would have any impact on ride quality, which is a suspension issue. This just doesn't make any sense lol

Really? So a 100 pound plus hinged hunk of glass and aluminum bouncing every time you go over a bump is that difficult to believe doesn't have an impact on ride stability?

So go get a kid to jump up and down, just a little, on your rear bumper. Do you believe you won't feel it while sitting in the drivers seat?

I find it difficult to believe that trunk hatch bumpers would have any impact on ride quality, which is a suspension issue. This just doesn't make any sense lol
I'm with you, but it's the only thing that's changed. Well, also updated to 2.52.22. I waited a few days to see if it would revert but it's held up. The things that annoy me greatly are gone: spine compressing jolts, jackhammer headrest, watching the frontend bounce up and down like a hooptie.

I finally convinced my wife to get back in the car. She said it's much smoother but must not be a rough road. I said it's the same rough road that was killing us before... hard to believe but the stability of hatch and hood seems to have made a huge difference. I did not use Vaseline , but torqued them all pretty good trying to get better surface alignment with the other panels.

I have a winding road up a hill that I take every day on my commute home from work. There is one turn that has a bump in the road and when I take it at a spirited speed it used to always have an unsettling shimmy left and right when I hit the bump. Today it was planted and rolled over the bump like it didn't exist. I'm a happy camper!