Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you guys want to try a fun experiment, tape the entire hatch gap shut all the way around with blue painters tape...as close to perfect as you can get.

When I tried this, at first I assumed it generated improvements in all Teslas because the air gap was eliminated and no air could get in past the seal when bumps were hit. I later realized, it is because the tape is strong enough (when placed all the way around) to prevent (or at least reduce) the hatch from RISING whenever it hits a bump. The adjusters primarily control the downward compression stroke of the hatch, but the only thing that controls the upward expansion stroke is the tension on the hatch latch. The hatch is large enough that there is almost always some play there. The blue tape peals right off so no damage to the paint, etc. I have sometimes wondered if manual hatches are any different than power hatches in terms of how tightly they latch, etc.

If you try the tape, I recommend a night time test drive...just to avoid the embarassment of driving around with the hatch all taped up!

Last edited:
Ha! Drove around in the '60's with MASKING tape on the chrome on a Dodge Dart while I was painting it. Never could get that stuff off due to leaving it on over the summer!:oops: Don't think blue painters tape existed then. After that, I'm all embarrassed out :)

You bring up a good point though. Power hatch vs. non powered?

PUP here so powered. Sounds as if it's being pulled tight due to the sound of the motor straining. Could be an issue for others?

Really? So a 100 pound plus hinged hunk of glass and aluminum bouncing every time you go over a bump is that difficult to believe doesn't have an impact on ride stability?

So go get a kid to jump up and down, just a little, on your rear bumper. Do you believe you won't feel it while sitting in the drivers seat?

I hope this is the solution folks were seeking, I'm just saying it's hard to believe that such a simple adjustment would fix an apparent suspension issue. And by the way, your analogy is a bit overblown. The hatch isn't bouncing up and down like a child would be bouncing on the rear bumper. There might be a bit of play, but not enough to cause the type of motion you speak of.

I hope this is the solution folks were seeking, I'm just saying it's hard to believe that such a simple adjustment would fix an apparent suspension issue. And by the way, your analogy is a bit overblown. The hatch isn't bouncing up and down like a child would be bouncing on the rear bumper. There might be a bit of play, but not enough to cause the type of motion you speak of.

How then would you explain that after raising the middle hatch bumpers, reducing the flexing (bouncing action) the issue on my car was drastically reduced if not eliminated? As I stated when I first posted about it, I too found it hard to believe, but can't dispute the results. And I also said a child bounding "just a little" which is not overblown and was carefully worded.

Not attacking, just defending observed results ;)

Why not crank your adjusters all the way in and see what you get, and then form an opinion one way or another...

I have an early p85d the 4th in Canada. I didn't get to test drive that model before purchase. It was punishingly stiff. Dangerously so. I was afraid to hurt people by driving on ordinary roads. I was stopped by police for driving too slowly. They probabIy suspected drunk driving. I don't drink, my back hurt. I previously drove Volvos which are not Cadys but ride well. A friend said it rode like an empty garbage truck and from then on my friends referred to it as the electric garbage truck. I complained at the SC with no results. Which is what the SC does best. They said you had to have that stiffness to handle the HP. I told them a Lambo doesn't ride this bad. I deflated tires which helped a little. I went on a factory tour a few months later. I asked to drive a regular 85. They determined I had a P85D and asked me why. Just for comparison. It rode well and didn't hurt. They asked how I liked my P85D, I said the worst ride I had ever had, my back ached all day after a 10 minute ride to work on roads I had traveled for decades in Volvos without noticing.
Upon my return much to my surprise they called me to replace my suspension at no charge. It took months to accomplish but was a big improvement. I suspect I was not the only one they did this for. Of course they no longer offer a car this stiff. I think they just made a mistake. I am an engineer and had measured G force in preparation for a lawyers letter and found it extraordinarily high as much as 7X compared to other cars. I didn't have to proceed because they fixed it. Never the less I love the car and pickup a replacement P100D tomorrow.

Wish I could get them to replace the suspension in my March 15 P85D. Stiffest ride I've ever owned by far. It's like a go cart with wheels attached directly to the frame. I've driven dozens of high end performance cars on track days and have owned nearly a dozen myself always with the stiffest most track ready suspension option you can get. They all ride like Cadillacs compared to my P85D. Even the P85+ loaners I've had have a far more compliant ride.

Interestingly,
Our weather warmed up for the first time since I've had my car. Today we are in the 40s.

It rides significantly better now. It's like a completely different car.

It's still rough, but a rough ride I'd expect with a sports car, not the headache inducing jackhammer effect.

I have no idea what that means.

Warmer weather means lower viscosity on the shock fluid passing through the valving.
I remember a long time ago, several years, reading about someone with a stiff suspension problem on the teslamotors forum and that they had found that the shock valves had not bee released or something wasn't removed that is supposed to be when their being installed. I searched for hours trying to find that thread but there is no search feature on that forum and I never did find it. I was before I bought mine so I didn't really take note of it.

I've driven around for a few days now after adjusting the trunk hatch adjusters and I've got to say, the ride quality is really improved! It's still firm, but the really harsh gut wrenching jolts are gone. I'm having a hard time believing that after 10 months of rough riding, a couple turns of a few rubber adjusters is all it took to fix.. Crazy!

Careful, I'm about to cry mass placebo :rolleyes:

I've done all of that and it made no difference.

So what did Tesla say when you took it back to be fixed, and pointed out similar models did not have the problem?

I get the viscosity issue, but thinking where you are it's not an issue. It's warmer here, but hopefully colder days ahead. Only 3+ weeks into owning the car so not enough time to claim my car is fixed. Damn global warming!

So what did Tesla say when you took it back to be fixed, and pointed out similar models did not have the problem?

I get the viscosity issue, but thinking where you are it's not an issue. It's warmer here, but hopefully colder days ahead. Only 3+ weeks into owning the car so not enough time to claim my car is fixed. Damn global warming!

I've gone around with them 3 times on this with 3 different visits. They're always very polite but the tech just drives the car and says it feels like other P85Ds that he's driven and that they can't find anything wrong.

Mine is in the shop now. They gave me a Chevy Fuze to drive.....and it feels wonderful! The tech I spoke with seemed more open minded about this issue than the last guy. I copied and pasted a bunch of the comments in this thread to show that many people are having the same problem.
If they tell me its suppose to be like this, I'm going to get a written statement from 3 non-Tesla mechanics with their opinion and send it directly to Tesla. So far, every non-Tesla employee that has been in my car has said the ride is crazy rough. Even my four year old mentioned it this week! If they say it's normal, I'm asking for scientific proof that it conforms to specifications. "Feels okay to me" isn't going to cut it.