Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin - new facility coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zaphod

Galaxy President (former)
Dec 10, 2015
Austin, TX
Howdy fellow Austinite TMC members, I came across this article last night. I apologize if this is old news, but I have not heard about this before. I am not yet a Tesla owner, but hopefully in the near future and it always good to hear Tesla still investing in TX. According to the article, the impression that it is pretty much definite, but no official confirmation from Tesla.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/b...-building-a-new-facility-in-austin-after.html

Howdy fellow Austinite TMC members, I came across this article last night. I apologize if this is old news, but I have not heard about this before. I am not yet a Tesla owner, but hopefully in the near future and it always good to hear Tesla still investing in TX. According to the article, the impression that it is pretty much definite, but no official confirmation from Tesla.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/b...-building-a-new-facility-in-austin-after.html
At least that would be a little easier to get to than the Burnet Rd location

[edit]
Looking at Google maps, it looks like it could be 12833 Research Blvd rather than the 12345 noted in the article. The map shows a couple of buildings there, but street view show the demolition had already started.

Last edited:
It's not a rumor, and it's old news reported on this site months ago. The new service center will be at Hwy 183 and Pond Springs Rd.

Maybe that's an easier location for Twiglett, but I'm much closer to the current Burnet Rd. location. They definitely need more space though.

Looking at Google maps, it looks like it could be 12833 Research Blvd rather than the 12345 noted in the article. The map shows a couple of buildings there, but street view show the demolition had already started.

I dug this address up as well. I assume there will be superchargers. I wanted to see nearby eating places. Looks like Jack in the Box and a bakery are the choices.

It's not a rumor, and it's old news reported on this site months ago. The new service center will be at Hwy 183 and Pond Springs Rd.

Maybe that's an easier location for Twiglett, but I'm much closer to the current Burnet Rd. location. They definitely need more space though.
Well, I guess we can have a mod edit the thread title then. I hadn't seen it before.

Someone working at The Domain store hinted superchargers would be there and the new service/sales center in north Houston has superchargers.
A supercharger on 183 would be a odd place to put it, but easier for Tesla as they already own the location.
If there was one between San Marcos and Waco a better location could be the 130/45 intersection in Stone Hill Town Center.
Lots of food options there.

A supercharger on 183 would be a odd place to put it, but easier for Tesla as they already own the location.
If there was one between San Marcos and Waco a better location could be the 130/45 intersection in Stone Hill Town Center.
Lots of food options there.
The distance from San Marcos to Waco along I-35 is 147 miles, a little longer than most spacing, but I agree a supercharger in northwest Austin wouldn't help that. A supercharger there may be useful for service, but in terms of enabling long distance travel it would be solving a problem that doesn't exist. There is very little traffic north of Austin on 183 that isn't local traffic, and most of that non-local traffic begins or ends in Austin. I can think of a dozen better locations in Texas to cover first-- starting with the Baytown gap on I-10 and 281 from DFW to Amarillo so traffic heading west doesn't have to go all the way north to Oklahoma City and turn left.

I can think of a dozen better locations in Texas to cover first-- starting with the Baytown gap on I-10 and 281 from DFW to Amarillo so traffic heading west doesn't have to go all the way north to Oklahoma City and turn left.
You'll get no argument from me there :)
There is so much of Texas that is out of range of a reasonable charging option.

Superchargers are a good idea at busy Service Centers because the desire is to hand serviced cars back to customers nicely charged up - and if you're relying on 9.6kW chargers built into the car, it can become difficult. 120kW FTW!!!

They are also used for charging up demo cars, which can lose a lot of charge when being run into the ground repeatedly during ludicrous test drives.

As for being in a population center, I can only foresee some owners getting cease and desist letters for Supercharging too often :)

All that said... I haven't heard any evidence that there will be Superchargers at this location. Not sure there is the room available, the site isn't that big.

They could put in a supercharger "for official internal use only"...

Have that done that anywhere? I was thinking it would be useful with test drives back to back and such. Much less planning required.

I had to make sure I returned my demo 4 hours before next person to ensure it was charged.

I had a 12v battery replaced under warranty, and decided to Supercharge before driving back to work. (North Houston Service Center)
When I stopped the charging and removed the cable, an Error appeared which turned out to be a fault in the Battery Heater. The techs replaced the heater and said it was fortunate that my random Supercharging "pushed the heater over the threshold" so that if failed right there at the Service Center (not weeks later on a road trip).

Supercharging ain't always about saving pennies or traveling. It can be an important part of a complete Checklist!

Reactions: gigglehertz
Stopped by the new service center yesterday and took some photos..

Attachments

• IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4626.jpg
    IMG_4626.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4631.jpg
    IMG_4631.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4632.jpg
    IMG_4632.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4635.jpg
    IMG_4635.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4638.jpg
    IMG_4638.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4623.jpg
    IMG_4623.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4624.jpg
    IMG_4624.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 82

Zaphod, have you checked to be sure that M3 comes with a double headrest option? :)

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler