Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe v3 Superchargers would mean so much power and high amperes that a watercooled cable and plug is required. CCS 2.0 has that in their standard. Makes sense to follow that. In Europe, they would then also be able to open SuC for commercial us with other car brands.

Another thing, WLTP is coming to Europe, and Model 3 is WLTP certified. X and S are not yet, and I have searched quite extensively for those figures. The X and S should have been WLTP-rated within Sept 2018! So the interesting thing is how come they are not WLTP rated by now? Well, one can postpone WLTP-rating if the car is an outgoing model, "end of series". Then you can sell it until sept 2019 with the old NEDC rating only! 3-6 months anyone?
Interpretation is that Tesla claims S and X models to be "end of series" in EU and we will soon see a new model of both, or they just don't care about following regulations, or I overlooked some other reason that excempt the Teslas from WLTP certification.

Source: WLTP introduction: when will the changes take place? | WLTPfacts.eu

I believe v3 Superchargers would mean so much power and high amperes that a watercooled cable and plug is required. CCS 2.0 has that in their standard. Makes sense to follow that. In Europe, they would then also be able to open SuC for commercial us with other car brands.

Another thing, WLTP is coming to Europe, and Model 3 is WLTP certified. X and S are not yet, and I have searched quite extensively for those figures. The X and S should have been WLTP-rated within Sept 2018! So the interesting thing is how come they are not WLTP rated by now? Well, one can postpone WLTP-rating if the car is an outgoing model, "end of series". Then you can sell it until sept 2019 with the old NEDC rating only! 3-6 months anyone?
Interpretation is that Tesla claims S and X models to be "end of series" in EU and we will soon see a new model of both, or they just don't care about following regulations, or I overlooked some other reason that excempt the Teslas from WLTP certification.

Source: WLTP introduction: when will the changes take place? | WLTPfacts.eu

Right on time for a switch to 2170 batteries. S120 anyone?

Great points @daktari, thank you.
Right on time for a switch to 2170 batteries. S120 anyone?
There was the S130 rumor even...
4. Big battery. Looking beyond current car features and firmware hacking, there is the rumor of 130 kWh battery being tested in Model S or X with the speculation following that 21-70 cells might fit in the current pack dimensions in that configuration (see. e.g. 200 kWh new Roadster in a Model 3 sized car). There was also the past-year incident of 75 kWh cars shipping with 85 kWh, which might point to a plan boosting Model S/X battery sizes in general. Given the Gigafactory woes related to Model 3 21-70 batteries, In a curious case of potential trolling, a "P100D" Model 3 also appeared on TeslaFi recently. In the end that was merely a human cock-up, reminding us to keep on our rumor-mongering toes. :)
Definitely if much/most/everything happens that has been speculated e.g. in this thread (a summary of mine quoted below), it sounds like it could be called a "new series" for WLTP purposes.
Is this what a Model S too might look a year from now (charger connector setup depending on the market of course)?

Tesla-Model-SX-design-refresh-electrek-1.jpg

model_s_ccs_mockup-jpg.351151

Tesla-Model-3-china-charge-port.jpg

Tesla-Model-SX-design-refresh-electrek-3.jpg

hud-jpg.267636

1st: Supercharger V3
2nd: Autopilot HW3
3rd: 2170 battery in Model S/X
4th: Model S/X interior refresh
5th: HUD (uncertain)

@daktari

Interesting points and hearsay over on the Model S range and interior update imminent? thread. This again would certainly fit with your speculation above that a Model S/X facelift due to WLPT certification should happen by September 2019.

Of course, the Electrek rumor of interior facelift timeline/pictures from last year also pointed to Q3/2019 as has been discussed and linked to earlier in this thread.
That jives with the info I have as well, the interior and some exterior elements get a redesign third/ fourth quarter this year and the battery/ model 3 motors get put in first half of 2020
Perhaps already answered here, but have read quotes from Tesla execs saying battery upgrade to 2170 unlikely to be soon for MS because size difference requireing redesign/retool of bettery enclosure, hints of locked-in longer term contracts, etc. Also found quoted comments about soonest real MS updates to be Q3/2019. My hunch those q3 updates will exclude battery tech, so maybe 2020/2021 more likely for real battery updates to S/X, to coincide with expected competition. I can hunt down quotes again if you wish. Again hunch this year they will focus on H3, software, and solidifying global manufacturing infrastructure for M3 and Y and semi, and just possibly pickup.

It will be fun to watch and see how wrong we can be.;)
Thank you @CraZ8 and @VValleyEV as well. Keep up the great speculation and information gathering, people!

To not crash current car values, I would expect capacity to increase in small steps over time. So 110 now, 120 later, etc.

Would that matter if Tesla renames the batteries in Model 3 style and removes numbers?

It is not impossible there could be an intermediate step before 2170 like renaming batteries to Standard and Long Range while keeping them initially as 18650 batteries maybe ~80 kWh and 100 kWh for example to continue on the depopulated 100 kWh line of thinking. The Standard Range product would then have slightly better public specs and higher price as 75 did but not yet be a sea change. [100 kWh would simply be = Long Range battery in this idea. Eventually these would be replaced by 2170 products with better specs but same names.]

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I believe Tesla eliminated as much cars as possible end of Q4 but yes I get your point.

That said if new cars simply say Long Range and Standard would the average consumer really care as much as the numbers are not visible...

Since the first question from ICE folks is "how far can it go?", my guess is yes. That being said, over 250 miles of range, it becomes less and less of an issue to the average user.