Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Tesla Model S Facelift in 2016 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will mention my personal experience with this. Originally I ordered my model s 90d (placed order in October 2015) and selected an April 2016 delivery date because of two things (coincide with my 45th birthday and also allowed me to get funds in order to pay for vehicle outright). On a visit to dealership in November the service manager mentioned in passing that she saw I had an April 2016 delivery date and as such might get a new styling (hinted maybe like the model x nosecone). I actually was not a fan of the nose cone of model x so actually did not want that to happen (I called tesla directly and they denied any change but said if such change occurred would likely get the old nosecone since I ordered it that way or have ability to choose new one). The point became moot for me as I came across some extra funds and got the car delivered early as a Christmas present.

i think the Model 3 will be same as the previous model S OR the is inferior to Model S p85d p90d, since its price is cheaper than the before model. But expecting the Model 3.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying Tesla will simply rebadge the current S as a 3 when the next gen S is launched?

I know some manufacturers continue to sell previous gen cars as discounted options under a "classic" or sometimes in extreme cases a whole new product name, but this would be a very strange move for Tesla, and I can't see how it makes any business sense.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying Tesla will simply rebadge the current S as a 3 when the next gen S is launched?

I know some manufacturers continue to sell previous gen cars as discounted options under a "classic" or sometimes in extreme cases a whole new product name, but this would be a very strange move for Tesla, and I can't see how it makes any business sense.
The Model 3 will just be recycled Model S CPO cars that didn't sell. Re-badge and sell for $35k. LOL.

How do you think they will treat people who ordered with original design but production scheduled for after face-lift?

If I was in their shoes, by adding better standard goodies in the facelift model, which I'd have crept up in price, thus adding a sweetener to the deal.

Both sides win. Tesla can switch over production wholesale, and the customer gets a bit of a "discount" as well as more goodies to offset the cosmetic changes. (And let's be clear an X style loss of nose cone is no way guaranteed, the changes may be much more subtle.)

The more I've thought about it, the more I think they will try to be conservative here, IF they even do release a facelift.

On one side they have a bunch of RVGP owners ripe to turn into new car customers (if they don't go X) so it needs to be obvious they've bought a new car.

On the other they have resale to think about, which they are carrying part of on their balance sheet in contingent liabilities, so they can't make it so different to hurt values too badly.

Some bumper rework, a slightly less prominent nosecone inching towards the X, some changes to the lights and bright work, and call it a day would be my guess if indeed 2016 sees any changes.

There is no such thing as a 2016 Model S. It's a Model S which is being continually improved. The first Model S built in 2016 will very likely be identical to the last Model S built in 2015. Changes in components or new features can happen at any time through the year.

Of course there is a 2016 Model S. If you don't think so, just ask your DMV. Even the certificate from Tesla that you present to the DMV states the model year. Any Model S built between January 1st, 2016 and December 31st, 2016 is a 2016 model year.

That is correct from the DMV's point of view. But I'm sure you appreciate that traditionally, and continuing up to now, all other car manufacturers use the "model year" concept where they concentrate their design changes such that they occur together when the manufacturer starts selling what they call the next "model year" car several months before the calendar year changes, and consumers all over the world are told through massive marketing campaigns that the new "model year" cars are redesigned and incorporate many many changes. In fact, over and over again car manufacturers use the term "all new" to describe their latest models, even though in reality they are never "all" new.
As you know, Tesla does not follow that traditional paradigm. So sure you can say that a Tesla built on Jan. 1, 2016 is a "2016 model year car" but that has little to no meaning from Tesla's point of view, and Tesla does not market their cars that way.
It all comes down to how one defines the car term "model year". The DMV defines it one way. Car manufacturers define it a different way, since they start building "new" model year cars before the calendar year changes for the purposes of product marketing. Tesla doesn't really use the term at all.

Of course there is a 2016 Model S. If you don't think so, just ask your DMV. Even the certificate from Tesla that you present to the DMV states the model year. Any Model S built between January 1st, 2016 and December 31st, 2016 is a 2016 model year.

Is that built or first titled?

Here in the UK it's "first registered" (as I understand synonymous with titled). Irrespective of any VIN letter shenanigans, or model years, or.. .

From our POV it will be the date Tesla entered the first owners details into the DVLA computer system.

I actually find it quite an strange concept to have cars all being lumped into a bracket based on model years. Cars here are more often referenced by their "series" or "mark" or "internal code" or some distinguishing feature of the car.

I guess in the way here on TMC we would say "2013 Model S" or "2014 Model S (Classic)" vs "2014 Model S (AP)", you might see an advert here for a "2008 BMW 3 Series (Angel Eyes)". It's probably a legacy of how there are three prime buying times here not 1. (Jan 1st, Mar 1st, and Sept 1st are all significant dates due to either it being a new calendar year, or a change in the licence plate numbering scheme).

This just leads to a steady stream of new cars or face-lifts coming onto the market throughout the year. In that way Tesla not sticking to model year designations feels 100% normal! :D

I guess us being RHD and the lag to production also makes this less important.

It still makes more sense to buy an early-2016 "model year" Tesla, than to buy a late-2015 "model year" Tesla.

In 5 years and 2 days, when you go to sell it in 2021, someone purchasing the car will say "well 2021-2016 = 5 year old car. 2021-2015 = 6 year old car. The 6 year old car has to be cheaper, as it's older". Not every private seller will be able to keep up with all the changes Tesla is doing, and if you're trading it into a dealership, most of them wont care. What they will care about is checking NADA resale value, and the 2016 model will be listed as more expensive than the 2015 model.

If we assume a new snout involves no new body work (i.e. metal panels, new frame), then, Tesla might be in a position to give purchasers a choice of old or new snout. This might also make it easier to retrofit older cars for those so inclined, but this is all just conjecture on my part.

On a visit to dealership in November the service manager mentioned in passing that she saw I had an April 2016 delivery date and as such might get a new styling (hinted maybe like the model x nosecone).

And some wonder why DS people are the least informed - they cannot keep their mouths shut :)

For the record I don't think there will be any changes made to S except headlights and new nose cone option. If nose cone option happens, it's a high possibility it'll be interchangeable with the old one (same mounting points) since otherwise it could nullify some crash tests(?) (EDIT: what omarsultan already said).

If we assume a new snout involves no new body work (i.e. metal panels, new frame), then, Tesla might be in a position to give purchasers a choice of old or new snout. This might also make it easier to retrofit older cars for those so inclined, but this is all just conjecture on my part.
I think it more likely that Tesla will at some point in the near future simply switch over -- without pre-announcing it -- to a new S nose and front bumper design (possibly all one piece) without changing the exterior aluminum skin.
I think it's fair to say that the nose one is the most criticized exterior design element on the S, and a relatively easy thing to change. The lack of a black nose cone on the X is a tacit admission by Tesla that the nose cone had to go, even though Tesla has stated in the past (can't recall if Elon or Franz said this) that different Tesla models would not have a standard look, but that they could be very different.
If Tesla does change to a new front end look on the S, I do not expect it to be an "option" that the buyer can select, and if not selected they will get the current style. Seems unnecessary to provide such a choice and is unlikely to result in more cars being sold.

Is this what you think or do you have a source? How do you think they will treat people who ordered with original design but production scheduled for after face-lift?

I am saying that this is what is going to happen. Believe me, or not, Idc. Not just a new nose, but newer lines. and some changes to the rear like no more Japanese-eyes taillights. Myself, I'm not waiting; I'm putting on Unplugged's visage, if they significantly discount it.

Tesla must announce and then allow a delay. First, people need to know what they're ordering, and second, all those redesigned cars in the factory parking lot won't be noticed? You kidding?

What happened to the guy who took delivery Monday and thought he's getting the redesign? What did I tell him? And what happened?

If Tesla does change to a new front end look on the S, I do not expect it to be an "option" that the buyer can select, and if not selected they will get the current style. Seems unnecessary to provide such a choice and is unlikely to result in more cars being sold.

I think transition period from old to new nosecone makes sense. There are some people who have not warmed up to 'electric' cone and would gladly order S with old nose cone before it becomes extinct.

It still makes more sense to buy an early-2016 "model year" Tesla, than to buy a late-2015 "model year" Tesla.

In 5 years and 2 days, when you go to sell it in 2021, someone purchasing the car will say "well 2021-2016 = 5 year old car. 2021-2015 = 6 year old car. The 6 year old car has to be cheaper, as it's older". Not every private seller will be able to keep up with all the changes Tesla is doing, and if you're trading it into a dealership, most of them wont care. What they will care about is checking NADA resale value, and the 2016 model will be listed as more expensive than the 2015 model.
What Tesla owner would ever go back to a dealership?