Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run Flats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, we're just about to pull the trigger on an MY with 20" Induction wheels. Does anyone know whether the Induction rims will support run-flats?

Also, with the 2023 MY, has the lack of USS been solved with the cameras? Will they warn the driver if you're about to hit a hidden object?
Cheers
PH

Hi Moa99
So you're sure about that? So what's the procedure (do they have to notify) if they decide to drop it in Aus too. I don't want to order it and get a car without it while the cameras can't do the job.
When they dropped the front radar from Model 3, people with existing orders received a notification about the time when the VIN was assigned. They had to agree to the removal before the delivery would progress. So, assume the same will happen when they remove USS.

When they dropped the front radar from Model 3, people with existing orders received a notification about the time when the VIN was assigned. They had to agree to the removal before the delivery would progress
And people in the EU with existing orders got a similar notification about the ultrasonics being removed, so there's no chance of a sensorless car turning up in Australia without prior warning:

TeslaVisionEU.png

Hi all, we're just about to pull the trigger on an MY with 20" Induction wheels. Does anyone know whether the Induction rims will support run-flats?

Also, with the 2023 MY, has the lack of USS been solved with the cameras? Will they warn the driver if you're about to hit a hidden object?
Cheers
PH
I don't know the answer wrt tyres, but the ride in a model Y is harsh enough with normal tyres. I suspect it would be much worse with run-flats. Extrapolating from my experience with a Mini Cooper Paceman.

I can't answer with respect to the run flats. They are fairly expensive so I just carry a spare in the boot that I strap to the baby car seat mount.

We still have USS. I've seen a few youtube reports of the Tesla Vision update being very hit-and-miss. It doesn't look reliable enough to replace USS and it obviously can't detect objects below the bonnet that it hasn't seen previously (i.e. a pet or a child walking past).

I don't know the answer wrt tyres, but the ride in a model Y is harsh enough with normal tyres. I suspect it would be much worse with run-flats. Extrapolating from my experience with a Mini Cooper Paceman.
Thanks! yes that is a concern, however even though there is a wheel change kit available, my wife would be completely incapable of doing that and to be fair, with my knees, I'd really struggle too. So what do you do if you get a puncture in a Tesla? I live in a QLD regional centre, not a capital city, so calling road service is less an option.

Thanks! yes that is a concern, however even though there is a wheel change kit available, my wife would be completely incapable of doing that and to be fair, with my knees, I'd really struggle too. So what do you do if you get a puncture in a Tesla? I live in a QLD regional centre, not a capital city, so calling road service is less an option.
Call Tesla roadside assistance to provide you with an loaner tire (changed for you roadside) or tow you to the nearest tire place

Reactions: Power Hungry
I’ve had several punctures in my model s, which is similar tyre pressure to the 3 and Y. On every occasion I’ve been able to drive easily to a servo and top up, then head home to book in a repair. On one occasion home took 30 mins and due to the significant pressure, I still had sufficient air in the tyre. I also carry a tesla tyre goo inflator, but have never had to use it.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Call Tesla and ask about roadside assist coverage in your area. The service is brilliant. I used them recently after a small pothole destroyed a tyre on my brand new MYP. These tyres are going to be a nightmare.