Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The data for the slide on the right comes from the Russian Central Bank. The slide excludes the most recent week, which showed a rebound to 585m. That's equal to May 13, but we can't say reserves stabilized at +/= 585m because two months is too short a period for a number this noisy.

Is Putin worried? If so he's not showing it. He's cutting back on gas exports to Europe. This paper claims he's the dependent one in that relationship, yet he's the one walking away. What's his game? Is he gambling on a winter price spike? Or is there something these numbers don't show, e.g. hidden reserves?

People talk about sanctions bringing down a regime by encouraging revolt, but that's rarely the case. Sanctions have other effects that help the rest of the world though. Russia is now in a tight bind with very limited economic maneuver capabilities. The war is costing Russia a lot of money. I think I saw recently it's around $400 million a day. Their defense industry is hamstrung by the sanctions and brain drain, so they are struggling to replace all the ammunition they have been burning through. It was unknown how much artillery ammunition they had at the beginning of the war, but it is known that they had about 5 million rounds of fresh ammunition (newly made or re-manufactured) and they have fired 8 million rounds.

Putin is faced with trying to scale up Russia's defense industry while under heavy sanctions with few skilled workers to do the job. One area where Russia is very weak is the chemicals needed to make explosives and gun powder. They started the war with a very small domestic chemicals industry. They bought most of what they needed from Ukraine and Germany. One of their main chemical plants burned down a couple of months ago.

They probably are working to scale up the munitions industry, but it's probably going a lot slower than it would during peacetime.

Putin's primary skill is as a spy. I believe he was in counter-intelligence. One of the tricks of counter-intelligence is to make your enemies think what you want them to think. His only play to win this war is to scare the west into stopping supply to Ukraine. And to do that he needs to convince the west that Russia is so string that this war is not really putting much of a strain on them at all and they can outlast everybody.

But the details show Russia is failing and can't keep this up for that much longer.

A friend in Finland was telling me about what the Finns did in the Winter War. Near the end they were running out of everything, but they fought hard with what they had left to convince the Russians their supplies were a lot deeper than they were.

During a siege a few centuries back the city under siege was running out of food. They had one cow left and they slaughtered it then catapulted it at the enemy. It convinced the enemy that the city had plenty of food and they left.

Psychological warfare is a very old thing.

News sources seem to track HIMARS and related system deliveries. But one thing I have not come across is munition supply numbers for these vehicles. Anyone have a source?

Reportedly individual rockets cost ~$100,000. That's pricey, but they are so accurate and battlefield proven, they have shown their worth with taking out much higher value items: ammunition depots, command centers, or even S300s.
I've seen a variety of sources which are very clear that the West is only feeding MLRS launchers into Ukraine at a rate which can be effectively utilised, i.e. trained personnel, munitions, and all the accompanying stuff. That includes the logistics tail, and the force protection, and the targetting and C3I suite. So overall the indications are that the West is fully on top of this aspect, and ditto Ukraine.

Ukraine now has a 3-4 layer artillery system that can reach beyond the corresponding Russian one. That makes things very much safer for Ukraine's force assets, and very much riskier for Russia's force assets. (Given Russian air assets are - in practice - unable to intervene effectively at depth).

Hungary is still objecting to every EU initiative to support Ukraine, or deal with the Russian sanctions. Yesterday, "A longstanding adviser to Viktor Orbán has resigned in protest at “a pure Nazi speech” the Hungarian prime minister gave that was “worthy of Goebbels”."

The Kherson offesive that has been onging for several weeks now is ticking up a gear

The context of the below is that c.28 April 2018, Boris Johnson, then UK Foreign Secretary, attended a social event in Italy where one of the other guests was Alexander Lebedev, a former KGB agent. He went to Italy straight from some sort of NATO summit and 'shed' his security detail en route (without their agreement). The following day he was seen "looking as if he had slept in his clothes" at the airport in Italy. Now read on - and as always with DAG posts the comments from the readership also are worth reading.

The phrase "I was so wrecked I can't remember anything" comes to mind, and other more damming ones accompany it.

As is to be expected the comments on this DAG post have grown (now 68) and include some fascinating ones about Johnson-the-liar et al

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
Kremlin propaganda fail:

Credit goes to (in Swedish):

It looks like the Russians are in for a tough time supplying their troops in Kherson
Thread by @DefMon3 on Thread Reader App

He ran some numbers in another thread

Among the world's largest armies, the Russian army is probably the worst at logistics, and now they have a logistics problem that would vex the best in the business. Kherson will be getting very interesting in the next few weeks.

The real impact of sanctions. Russia has lost most of it's ability to make high tech anything. They can't even make cars anymore.
Thread by @PhillipsPOBrien on Thread Reader App

As the war continues, Russia' military is going to regress to more and more primitive equipment while Ukraine is modernizing to equipment that is front line in the most advanced armies in the world today.

Russia is throwing money at people to entice recruits. Military pay in some cases is up 10X from before the war. They are paying high death benefits to the families of the fallen too. At least when they admit someone was killed.

That is flooding money into some of the poorer regions of Russia, but there is nothing for those people to buy.

They can't train new troops anymore, so they are fielding a bunch of overpaid idiots who will generate more cash going back home to their families when they're killed.

A lot of the money Russia is making from selling oil and gas is ending up in a dead end going into the pocket of provincial families who are getting rich, but have no goods available. This is an unstable system that will likely fall apart at some point.

Russia is a gas station with nuclear weapons. GDP per capita is close to Mexico. Putin's Russia resents losing the past robust ability to bully neighbors. Even with allies like China that power relationship has flipped.

In military parlance, there is the concept of "a force in being". The fact that a force exists and could counter somebody else's move makes would be aggressors more cautious. In WW I the naval forces of the UK and Germany were both forces in being. They only engaged in force once. But the fact both sides had a large surface navy ready to react kept the other from getting too aggressive navally.

Nuclear forces have always been forces in being.

Before this war, the Russian army was a force in being. They did a lot to convince the world they were more capable then they really were, but the fact they had a large army that could react to somebody else's aggression was enough to make people cautious doing things on Russia's borders.

Once the army was committed to Ukraine, it ceased to be a force in being and became committed to one operation. The army is now unavailable to do anything other than fight Ukraine. If the Chechens decide to make another play for freedom, the Russians will have a much tougher time countering them. their only force in being left are the nuclear forces.

BTW, came across this map, it's an interesting breakdown of the battlefield
Operational Map Ukraine