Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sensible summary of EU energy situation now

Yes, good article. Key section:
But if the purpose of sanctions, and consequent pain in Europe, is to cripple Russian revenues, it is not yet working. Oil deliveries in physical terms fell by 13% from May to June, from 18.9m tonnes to 16.5m tonnes, but revenues actually increased a little to €10.5bn (£8.7bn), and are higher than for the same period in 2021. Russian gas exports fell by about a quarter in June compared with last year, but earnings rose to $11.1bn (£9.1bn) compared with $3.6bn.
This is why I keep harping on the sheer stupidity of the energy sanctions. High pain in Europe which erodes support for Ukraine, combined with extra hard currency for Putin to fund his war. We couldn't do worse if we tried.

It's very important for Ukraine to retake Kherson. Demonstrating the ability to retake territory will shore up support in Europe through a cold winter.

From Kamil Galeev with some perspective about the barbarism published yesterday. He provides some useful context about the group responsible and the ideology that spawned it, and the surprising linkage to mainstream Russian “liberals.” This is an evil that runs deeply through parts of the populace. I remember a previous thread from Kamil that explored the ethnic/nationalist parts of Russia and noted that there was no chance for real democracy if Navalny came to power because he had the same elitist underpinnings. That was eye-opening for me.

Ru operational losses to-date per this site (amazing Ukr has captured almost 300 tanks):

btw: Ru barbary to Ukraine Prisoner posted yesterday is sickening.

Russians have committed barbarous acts on orders directly from Moscow, but in war there are always individuals or small groups who to heinous things on their own. Mark Hertling has talked about that. He said as a general in a war zone he had to discipline troops who did things that were barbarous.

I don't know if this exact episode was sanctioned by Moscow or not, but it is horrific. The Russians are not treating POWs very well and that's systemic.

Yes, good article. Key section:

This is why I keep harping on the sheer stupidity of the energy sanctions. High pain in Europe which erodes support for Ukraine, combined with extra hard currency for Putin to fund his war. We couldn't do worse if we tried.

It's very important for Ukraine to retake Kherson. Demonstrating the ability to retake territory will shore up support in Europe through a cold winter.

I understand the desire to get off Russian energy sources. Europe has finally figured out that they were making a deal with the devil tying themselves so tightly to Russian energy. They thought they were guaranteeing peace because only a madman would put a major profit center at risk for their country by starting a war that would anger their biggest customers.

They underestimated Putin's arrogance. Like the world with Hitler, Putin assumed that the rest of the world would continue to roll over as he did what he wanted. Putin is convinced that western democracies are weak and they will always roll over and do what he wants if the people get too unhappy. He has gotten away with a lot in the last 20 years, so he thought he could continue and the world would let him.

Putin and the white Russians in general believe that they are the inheritors of Rome and that the pinnacle of existence is to be Russian. Everyone wants to be Russian, and those who resist are just unaware of it. Because he believes Russia is superior he also thinks he has some kind of divine mandate to make Russia bigger and stronger and the rest of the world will just crumble under his might. This has been reinforced by the two people who he's been talking to the most since the pandemic started. They both have some Loony Tunes ideas about how the world works.

I was listening to a podcast about Stalingrad this week and I was struck by how Russia has repeated almost every mistake that Germany made in the 1940s from arrogance of being superior to everyone else combined with trying to do too much with too little.

From Kamil Galeev with some perspective about the barbarism published yesterday. He provides some useful context about the group responsible and the ideology that spawned it, and the surprising linkage to mainstream Russian “liberals.” This is an evil that runs deeply through parts of the populace. I remember a previous thread from Kamil that explored the ethnic/nationalist parts of Russia and noted that there was no chance for real democracy if Navalny came to power because he had the same elitist underpinnings. That was eye-opening for me.

Kamil Galeev has been talking about how democracy won't take hold in any Russian territory until Russia falls apart and the provinces are free to go their own way. And even then most won't go the democracy route. The liberals in Russia today are liberal compared to Putin, but are extremely conservative by world standards.

He's also talked about the movies and other popular culture in Russia. There is an Alex Jones type guy in Russia who is very popular who claims all world history from about 1400 to 1650 is complete fiction and has made claims most westerners would think were nuts. A lot of Russians believe this stuff.

This is what happens when a population starts living in an alternate universe where the "facts" most people believe are very different from other populations.

Russians have committed barbarous acts on orders directly from Moscow, but in war there are always individuals or small groups who to heinous things on their own. Mark Hertling has talked about that. He said as a general in a war zone he had to discipline troops who did things that were barbarous.

I don't know if this exact episode was sanctioned by Moscow or not, but it is horrific. The Russians are not treating POWs very well and that's systemic.

I understand the desire to get off Russian energy sources. Europe has finally figured out that they were making a deal with the devil tying themselves so tightly to Russian energy. They thought they were guaranteeing peace because only a madman would put a major profit center at risk for their country by starting a war that would anger their biggest customers.

They underestimated Putin's arrogance. Like the world with Hitler, Putin assumed that the rest of the world would continue to roll over as he did what he wanted. Putin is convinced that western democracies are weak and they will always roll over and do what he wants if the people get too unhappy. He has gotten away with a lot in the last 20 years, so he thought he could continue and the world would let him.

Putin and the white Russians in general believe that they are the inheritors of Rome and that the pinnacle of existence is to be Russian. Everyone wants to be Russian, and those who resist are just unaware of it. Because he believes Russia is superior he also thinks he has some kind of divine mandate to make Russia bigger and stronger and the rest of the world will just crumble under his might. This has been reinforced by the two people who he's been talking to the most since the pandemic started. They both have some Loony Tunes ideas about how the world works.

I was listening to a podcast about Stalingrad this week and I was struck by how Russia has repeated almost every mistake that Germany made in the 1940s from arrogance of being superior to everyone else combined with trying to do too much with too little.

Kamil Galeev has been talking about how democracy won't take hold in any Russian territory until Russia falls apart and the provinces are free to go their own way. And even then most won't go the democracy route. The liberals in Russia today are liberal compared to Putin, but are extremely conservative by world standards.

He's also talked about the movies and other popular culture in Russia. There is an Alex Jones type guy in Russia who is very popular who claims all world history from about 1400 to 1650 is complete fiction and has made claims most westerners would think were nuts. A lot of Russians believe this stuff.

This is what happens when a population starts living in an alternate universe where the "facts" most people believe are very different from other populations.
…so their crazed lunacy almost exactly parallels ours in the US then? Gee what coincidence*!

(*I think not)

…so their crazed lunacy almost exactly parallels ours in the US then? Gee what coincidence*!

(*I think not)

The difference is the US has a free media and there are options to get more factually based information. There is a segment of the population that is saturated in propaganda rather than news. In places like Russia the information ranges from propaganda to wacko stuff and you have to work hard to get real news. Since the war started the ability to get real news has gotten tougher.

Gazprom suspends gas supplies to Latvia
The state-owned firm on Saturday [30-Jul-22] suspended gas supplies to Latvia following tensions between Moscow and the West over the conflict in Ukraine and sweeping sanctions against Russia, reports AFP. Gazprom said on Telegram: "Today, Gazprom suspended its gas supplies to Latvia... due to violations of the conditions."

Indeed, and I suspect the below is just the very tip of the iceberg

The Russians have been trying to co-opt any political movement in the west they could, but particularly vulnerable are conservative movements. A healthy conservative party is right of center, but not prone to extremes like nationalism. If a conservative movement radicalizes, it can become nationalistic and a strong man led country like Russia can become a role model for them.

Russia has fed that nationalist streak that exists in conservative parties around the world.

Conservatism became ascendant in many western countries in the late 70s and began to take hold by the 1980s. These movements had goals to counter the more liberal policies that had been active since the 20s or 30s. The older liberal movements had run their course and were mostly out of ideas so the people in these countries were ready for something new.

Now the conservative movements have run their course. They have achieved most of their goals set out in the 70s and 80s and are out of ideas for this era so the people are beginning to gravitate back the other way. At this point just holding on to power is their only goal and authoritarianism offers them that promise to they are moving that way. This has become a problem in a number of democracies. Hungry is probably furthest down that road, Orban has become another Lukashenko just not as tightly tied to Putin's orbit.

In some countries when the conservatives do get power they are incompetent to actually accomplish much of anything. The opposition in these countries haven't managed to get their act together enough to win solid enough majorities yet so the conservative flap around like a fish out of water and not much happens.

The Russians have been able to co-opt some liberal movements too because of their past with communism. The thing with extreme movements through history is that they tend to go extreme authoritarian and socially very conservative, even if some have liberal economic goals and/or talk up a form of liberalism as their ethos.

Ultimately extreme movements aren't really liberal or conservative. They talk one line or another as window dressing, but in the end they are only interested in being in power and remaintaining in power.

Can anyone decipher how much truth is in this video?

It does not seem unthinkable, Blackrock lives on this kind of stuff around the world.

If you want the short version, check out video transcript.

It gets a bit political about workers rights which is a totally different topic.

The German artillery is being pushed to/beyond its limits by Ukraine. Apparently when firing at high elevation the shell is slipping backwards and the gas pressure is creating abnormal wear, requiring early servicing.

Suspicion of sabotage at a ammunition facility within a NATO country. Not the first time.

I always thought a core design of a howitzer was firing at high elevation.
Yes, I did too. But for a given munition there will be a optimum elevation to yield max range. I have seen some info suggesting Ukraine was using higher pressure / longer range shells. So perhaps higher than expected elevations. I have seen other info suggesting that Germany experienced some issues in Afghanistan for similar reasons. And this slippage issue placing the shell further back than designed for. And for sure the usage will be very high. My suspicion is this is normal teething troubles of stuff being pushed to its limits in combat.

I have wondered what has happened to the UK proposals to send the equivalent AS90 to Ukraine. That all went quiet.

People are playing with matches and stacking kindling

1659304791530.png

and

Interesting interview with ex KGB agent. Short version, his opinion is Putin is not going to give up and even if he were taken out the war would continue.

Russia will probably have to give up the war when something internal happens. That could be the economy falling apart, internal conflict as provinces try to break away, a troop rebellion (how things ended for both Russia and Germany in WW I) or just running out of something critical like men willing to die for the cause or ammunition.

This conflict like pretty much all post-WW II conflicts, is "come as you are". Almost all the arms used in this war were made before the war. Russia's military industry is only geared to peacetime levels and is short of just about everything it needs to make new weapons and ammunition. Russia has vast stocks of ammunition and equipment dating back to the Soviet era, but their storage practices are very poor and a lot of it is useless.

NATO also has vast stocks of weapons and ammunition in part because they knew the Russians had a lot. But NATO countries mostly maintain their equipment and regularly check their ammunition stocks to keep them fresh and ready to go.

This gives Ukraine a critical edge. The NATO stocks aren't infinite, but they are deep and almost everything given to Ukraine works as intended. Ukraine also has the morale of a people who know it's fight or lose their homes and their freedom.

Can anyone decipher how much truth is in this video?

It does not seem unthinkable, Blackrock lives on this kind of stuff around the world.

If you want the short version, check out video transcript.

It gets a bit political about workers rights which is a totally different topic.

It's always possible there are western countries looking for an angle, but I wouldn't count the Ukrainians out. They have shown themselves to be well led and not likely to be taken in by snake oil sales tactics.

One of the reasons for this war is Ukraine is sitting on two massive natural gas fields and there is some oil there too. Part is off the Black Sea coast and part is in the Donbas. That's why Russia wants those two areas.

Ukraine will need western help to bring those fields online, but I'm sure they will also negotiate hard to get contracts that benefit Ukraine.

Ukraine is also in a position that after this war they could do what Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea did. They could become the place to manufacture stuff cheap. The world is looking for someplace new now that China has been having problems. Then they can evolve into a place to make more sophisticated things. Ukraine's education level is quite good, their population can readily learn how to make complex things, but the cost of labor there is low, so it's a great incentive for companies to move in and do business.

There will be people looking to take advantage, but I expect Ukraine will come out on top in most deals.

The German artillery is being pushed to/beyond its limits by Ukraine. Apparently when firing at high elevation the shell is slipping backwards and the gas pressure is creating abnormal wear, requiring early servicing.

Suspicion of sabotage at a ammunition facility within a NATO country. Not the first time.

One fault of German equipment is that it can be over engineered. The Germans lost more Tiger tanks to mechanical breakdowns than enemy action. The things were so complex they were a maintenance nightmare.

The explosion was in Bulgaria. Most of the munitions were probably for Soviet era equipment. The Russians are probably trying to eliminate the ability for the Ukrainians to use their ex-Soviet or captured Russian equipment.

It might cause a short term supply problem for the Ukrainians, but they are transitioning to NATO equipment now. That's a more reliable ammunition chain and one the Russians are going to have more trouble messing with.

I always thought a core design of a howitzer was firing at high elevation.

For maximum range, you need to fire at a 45 degree angle. You get shorter ranges at angles above and below that. At angles below, you get a flatter trajectory, at higher angles you get plunging fire from a higher trajectory. The Ukrainians might be firing at higher than 45 degree angles to get plunging fire. The German engineers probably figured that if you're firing at shorter range, you would want to use a lower barrel angle rather than a higher one.

I can see where the shell could slip backwards at a higher angle.

People are playing with matches and stacking kindling

View attachment 835138

and

All we need is for the Balkans conflict of the 90s to kick off again. I had hoped the parties involved had learned that war was destructive and not really got anybody much in the end.

very in-depth article
indeed, the Russian state energy company Gazprom’s published data shows production is already down more than 35 percent year-on-year this month. For all Putin’s energy blackmail of Europe, he is doing so at significant financial cost to his own coffers.
That would be true if the cost had stayed the same. Such a glaring mistake suggests you are reading a very slanted article.