Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Germany to donate Marder infantry fighting vehicles and a Patriot missile system to Ukraine.
...] Germany didn't specify how many Marder vehicles would supplied, but Der Spiegel reported it could be as many as 40. [...

Last edited:

The AMX is more like a heavy armored car than a tank.

Germany to donate Marder infantry fighting vehicles and a Patriot missile system to Ukraine.

The unilateral ceasefire is a political move, but probably happening because they are running out of everything and are trying to rebuild.

In winter weather fully tracked vehicles are going to handle the frozen ground better than wheeled vehicles. The AMX is probably OK for summer, but it's going to slip around on the ice. It also looks top heavy which is not helpful on ice. Lighter guns are probably adequate for the war at this point. Most of the Russian vehicles are lightly armored BMPs which can be taken out with a heavy machine gun if hit in the right spot, or something like the 57mm AA guns the Ukrainians are mounting in pickup trucks.

The tanks Russia is deploying now are older with weaker armor, smaller guns can punch through that armor. A 105mm gun was an effective gun for taking out armor well into the 70s. T-55s and T-62s without ERA are vulnerable to those calibers.

The Bardley's 30mm auto cannon is going to slice up Russian lightly armored vehicles like a hit knife through butter.

I've been trying to find information on what equipment the US has in storage and I can't find any reliable numbers. I know there are quite a few Abrams in storage and there are some numbers that vary, but nobody has any information on how many other US vehicles are in storage. There are seas of Hummvees and a lot of Bradleys, but I can't find any numbers. Another vehicle that Ukraine needs and the US probably has a lot of is trucks. The humble truck is the backbone of any modern army.

All those vehicles in storage need to be brought out of mothballs and rehabbed before sending to Ukraine. That's probably why the initial shipment is only 50 Bradleys. The Sierra Depot is probably working overtime rehabbing vehicles pulled from storage.

also confirmed by this

The M1 Abrams is a super capable tank, but it's also somewhat of a maintenance nightmare. The Germans had generally superior tanks in WW2, but suffered from the same high maintenance requirements. It's not a big problem when you're a vastly superior force, such as in Desert Storm/Iraq, and can rotate out equipment to maintain it. The German Leopard would be a better fit for Ukraine, imo- though I'm sure they'd be very pleased to get some M1s too. I'm sure they'll make excellent use of the AMX, Bradley M2, and Marder IFVs.

Last edited:
More and more people are realizing Elon's worry about nuclear war is justified:

Thankfully, Americans have a president and national security team who know better. As the individual who understands Putin best, CIA Director Bill Burns, has repeatedly stated, Putin’s threat to conduct a nuclear strike is deadly serious. Why has the Biden administration gone to such extraordinary lengths to prevent Putin from conducting such a strike? Because they understand that this really would set in motion a dangerous spiral that could end in full-scale nuclear war.

I'm sure we can spare at least a few hundred. The design is getting a bit long in the tooth and will probably be replaced this decade.

The US DoD is always looking at it's own needs too. There is a chance the US military may be back in conflict again within a year or two. China appears to be contemplating the lessons from the Ukraine invasion and may be rethinking Taiwan, but the US has to be ready to back Taiwan if things get hot there.

Additionally there is still at least a 50/50 chance NATO ends up in the war in Ukraine. I don't think Putin will cross that Rubicon because he knows it will leave most of the Russian military a smoking ruin. However if Putin is no longer there his successor might not be as careful and may think NATO will run away if Russia attacks it. At that point the gloves come off and Russia will be at war with pretty much all of Europe and North America (minus a few countries).

The US Army doesn't want to deplete its resources too much in case they need the equipment themselves.

And the Bradley replacement is not going to realistically be available in any significant numbers until the end of the decade. Once the DoD makes a selection for a production candidate, the manufacturer will tool up and start pre-production. The Army will get the pre-production batch and do thorough testing to make sure it works within Army doctrine. Once the testing is done full production can begin. Because it isn't wartime, production is not going to be cranking them out at a high rate. Likely not more than a few hundred a year.

The Bradley will be around for a while. By 2026 or so they will start migrating some of the active ones into storage or selling them off to other countries.

I'm sure there are some in storage though and those can probably be given away. The Army will want to keep some for spare parts and replacement for losses, but they probably have more than they need for that. I just don't know how many. The Army uses more Bradleys than Abrams. Tanks get the headlines, but lighter vehicles are the true workhorses.

Clever. Ukraine is split between calendars, with many now celebrating Christmas on December 25 instead of the eastern orthodox date. If Ukraine accepts the cease-fire they delegitimze the western calendar. But propagandists can use a rejection to score points with the orthodox crowd.

I don't think Zelensky has too much to worry about. We hear a lot about how the Russians want a ceasefire to rebuild, and I'm sure that's an even more prevalent message in Ukraine. Any Ukrainians who want Russia to have any help at all are being quiet as church mice about it.

The US DoD is always looking at it's own needs too. There is a chance the US military may be back in conflict again within a year or two. China appears to be contemplating the lessons from the Ukraine invasion and may be rethinking Taiwan, but the US has to be ready to back Taiwan if things get hot there.

Additionally there is still at least a 50/50 chance NATO ends up in the war in Ukraine. I don't think Putin will cross that Rubicon because he knows it will leave most of the Russian military a smoking ruin. However if Putin is no longer there his successor might not be as careful and may think NATO will run away if Russia attacks it. At that point the gloves come off and Russia will be at war with pretty much all of Europe and North America (minus a few countries).

The US Army doesn't want to deplete its resources too much in case they need the equipment themselves.

And the Bradley replacement is not going to realistically be available in any significant numbers until the end of the decade. Once the DoD makes a selection for a production candidate, the manufacturer will tool up and start pre-production. The Army will get the pre-production batch and do thorough testing to make sure it works within Army doctrine. Once the testing is done full production can begin. Because it isn't wartime, production is not going to be cranking them out at a high rate. Likely not more than a few hundred a year.

The Bradley will be around for a while. By 2026 or so they will start migrating some of the active ones into storage or selling them off to other countries.

I'm sure there are some in storage though and those can probably be given away. The Army will want to keep some for spare parts and replacement for losses, but they probably have more than they need for that. I just don't know how many. The Army uses more Bradleys than Abrams. Tanks get the headlines, but lighter vehicles are the true workhorses.

I don't think Zelensky has too much to worry about. We hear a lot about how the Russians want a ceasefire to rebuild, and I'm sure that's an even more prevalent message in Ukraine. Any Ukrainians who want Russia to have any help at all are being quiet as church mice about it.

I think it's pretty unlikely that we'd be sending Bradley's into Taiwan. We might send some to Japan in that scenario, I suppose. Nato has more than enough resources if they get drawn into Ukraine. That would shorten the conflict tremendously.

Last edited:
Last edited: