Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not so sure that the action has been so one-sided and that the Russians are desperate with regard to time. Pick your own perception in the fog of war.
Did I say "one sided"?

I said Russia's losses "are mounting pretty quickly", for what everyone expected was a sure capture of Kyiv in 3 days.

Weather in Ukraine has been mostly overcast, lots of snow and freezing.
And Ukrainians are receiving more anti-air missiles all the time.

Russians are advancing, but incredibly slowly and very costly.
That is not a guess, the internet is providing hours of visual proof, confirmed vehicle losses near 1000.
(Orxy web site)

Great article on the failure.

Last edited:
If negotiations are in fact going well considering Ukraine is now willing to reject NATO membership.....
I thought i read that they weren't going to be "begging" to get into NATO, but with all the information and translations I could be wrong.

But, let's say they win the war vs Putin and kick them out of the country and then go to NATO and say "Hey guy's we just kicked Putin's butt, think we'd make a good addition to NATO?" and then they get invited to join.
👟
🥷

McDonald's has finally acted. Interesting they likely announced this right as Putin was making his big isolation announcement.

Potentially no McDonald's in Russia ever again. Now THAT'S aggressive geopolitics!
Great. Now the Russians will live longer.... 🤪

I thought i read that they weren't going to be "begging" to get into NATO, but with all the information and translations I could be wrong.

But, let's say they win the war vs Putin and kick them out of the country and then go to NATO and say "Hey guy's we just kicked Putin's butt, think we'd make a good addition to NATO?" and then they get invited to join.
👟
🥷

NATO membership isn't the Holy Grail. Sweden and Finland aren't in NATO. France comes and goes when it suits them.

Right now, Ukraine wants EU membership, and it sounds like they're likely to get it, on an accelerated time frame. This will help with the recovery.

Ukraine war: Poland offers all its MIG-29 fighter jets to US in plan to provide aircraft to Kyiv | World News | Sky News (45 min ago)

In a 3-party deal, Poland will 'donate' all its Mig-29 fighter jets at an U.S. airfield in Poland. The U.S. in turn donates the Migs to Ukraine, and provides F-16s to Poland to replace their donations.

Retired Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges, who led U.S. Army forces in Europe for three years, joined CBS News' Anne-Marie Green and Vladimir Duthiers to discuss Russia's war tactics, Ukraine's resistance and the Russian convoy moving toward Kyiv.

He also wants the West to do more to protect the people of Ukraine.

Still not a peep from PepsiCo. Not investment advice, but they're likely gonna have to act now that McDonald's has. Russia is absolutely huge for them, a full disruption of business there will have a meaningful impact.
Since there are economic sanctions, doesn't that also mean countries that operate in Russia can't repatriate any profits to US ?

Obviously Russian oil/gas embargo is not good for the world economy and may cause a recession. World should tell Russia that the oil/gas embargo ends when you leave Ukraine, and agree that X% of future sales goes toward war reparations.
No don't do the later. That's a lesson from Iraq and more importantly WWI. Penalize upfront, take foreign exchange, gold, etc. Don't have long drawn out sanctions as they develop into abuse, avoidance, and are used by the reclairant govts as excuses and as a point of blame.

McDonald's has finally acted. Interesting they likely announced this right as Putin was making his big isolation announcement.

Potentially no McDonald's in Russia ever again. Now THAT'S aggressive geopolitics!
Could that be the final blow to take down Putin? No more Happy Meals?

Since there are economic sanctions, doesn't that also mean countries that operate in Russia can't repatriate any profits to US ?
I've read an article along these lines (don't have a link though). The idea is that companies that would otherwise be doing pretty good business in the country but don't have a good in-country business to spend that revenue on, its a lot easier for them to shut down their Russian business. Actually as long as getting money back out of the country is difficult or important, that makes shutting down the Russian businesses a good business decision.

Of course the decision won't be couched in those terms - the press release will decry the war on Ukraine and the strong moral fiber of these companies doing their part to stand up to such behavior (touch of cynicism :p).

If there were something similar going on with China (as an example) it would be a lot harder for businesses to shut down operations. Partly because many companies have significant footprints buying parts and/or manufacturing in which revenue / earnings in China can be spent in China. Whether money can be moved out of country or not, as long as manufactured goods / parts can be shipped out then there is a good local place to spend that money.