Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a tad leery at that presentation, and found my suspicions justified. From data.worldbank.org 2022 GDP.

Rounded to the nearest billion US$, we have:

Netherlands: $991 bn, Belgium: $579bn
to total $1,570 bn

Yes! There was no justification for including Luxembourg in that map.
😂
Darn Luxers always trying to shove their way into international affairs, just because if you go on a bike ride you need a passport and it goes downhill from there.

Last edited:
So Blinken is in Kiev and...suddenly the wife of the Armenian president shows up in Kiev too. Blinken is,btw, responsible for the disastrous treaties that encouraged Ukraine to give up weapons in return for a guarantee of safety from the west. Now after an even more embarrassing and disastrous Obama administration followed by Trump he's trying make amends.

So the wife of Armenia is in town, Azerbijan is sending troops to border with Armenia and Russia is not guaranteeing safety. Azerbaijan being a proxy for Turkey. Edogran just met with Putin. Armenia is just F'd. Just F'd. @DayTrippin might have insight there but gosh it looks like we could see a second genocide.

I don't quite follow this. The big give up of weapons by Ukraine was in the 90s when they traded their nukes for security guarantees. Blinken was a fairly low level functionary in the State Department then.

Unfortunately Armenia is not in a place where western countries can help them. They are boxes in by Turkey, Georgia, and Azerbajan. Georgia has a puppet government friendly to Putin, Turkey wants Armenia gone, and Azerbajan is the aggressor.

It is indeed an excellent read.

Time and Money: those are Putin’s nemeses, and an important insight. Baer’s monetary proposal, to use the $300 billion of Russian foreign reserves to

Tick Tock Tick Tock

emplace, each month, Tick Tock Tick Tock $20 billion into a Ukrainian Redevelopment Fund, is a masterly way to use those nemeses.

On edit, to further discussion: one* would not (*even a Putin, I assert) go to the nuclear route over $20 billion, but - month after month after month and knowing that as far out as the calendar goes, so goes another $20 billion - that is an immensely powerful force.

The walls are closing in.

He could just take the easy way out to where he belongs. But evil people never want to make it easy for anyone else. So he will remain a threat as long as he's alive. Any guesses on what Hitler would have done if they had enough uranium for a bomb?

Hitler probably wouldn't have been able to do much because Germany was way behind on developing nuclear weapons. After the war the allies found out how little progress they had made.

Germany's problem was that pre-war their best Physicists were almost all Jewish. They all escaped leaving the country with a brain drain in the basic science needed to develop nuclear weapons.

If Hitler had nuclear weapons he would have used them. We didn't really come to grips with how awful the aftermath of those weapons were until after the war and we looked at the effects on the survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as well as those exposed during nuclear testing.

My father moved his family out from Michigan to California in the early 50s when they were doing above ground tests in the Southwestern US. They drove through Arizona and New Mexico on the journey. Every one of them developed cancer in the late 60s. His parents died of something else and my father had successful surgery to remove his, but his sister died of it.

Almost two decades too late

Romania

Bizarre

I don't necessarily agree with this article re China, but it will doubtless be of interest to many here. The direct relevance to Russia is that China (or more accurately Xi Jinping) has less room and time for manoeuvre than is often believed in the West. And that in turn matters to Russia.

(the comments below are equally interesting)

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree with this article re China, but it will doubtless be of interest to many here. The direct relevance to Russia is that China (or more accurately Xi Jinping) has less room and time for manoeuvre than is often believed in the West. And that in turn matters to Russia.

(the comments below are equally interesting)

My industry is fairly directly impacted by China real estate consumption of wood products. Markets have been tough, very tough.

This might be a genuine concern. They clearly need more AD systems and likely better quality than the old Soviet systems.

If true, this is some real *sugar*. Supposedly Musk turned off Starlink so Ukrainian drones couldn't attack Russian ships.

CNN —
Elon Musk secretly ordered his engineers to turn off his company’s Starlink satellite communications network near the Crimean coast last year to disrupt a Ukrainian sneak attack on the Russian naval fleet, according to an excerpt adapted from Walter Isaacson’s new biography of the eccentric billionaire titled “Elon Musk.”

MODERATOR in-post edit:
This post is being flagged for its disseminating false material - because long reversed decisions make the post completely wrong. “If true…” does not absolve whatsoever. Subsequent revelations MUST be included - the entire episode has multifacted nuances.

Consider this a public warning not to post misleading, inflammatory, outdated misinformation. The subsequent dozen or so posts attest to what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
If true, this is some real *sugar*. Supposedly Musk turned off Starlink so Ukrainian drones couldn't attack Russian ships.

CNN —
Elon Musk secretly ordered his engineers to turn off his company’s Starlink satellite communications network near the Crimean coast last year to disrupt a Ukrainian sneak attack on the Russian naval fleet, according to an excerpt adapted from Walter Isaacson’s new biography of the eccentric billionaire titled “Elon Musk.”

I don’t think there is any question that this is true… it was confirmed by the Pentagon. I understand not wanting one’s product, technology to be “used for war” but IF you give them something, make a big MARKETING and ALTRUISTIC post about it, and then talk with the Russians / Putin, and then all of a sudden get your Machiavellian conscious back, well that’s on you when ppl find out about it.

CNN —

It's true, and it's also old news. Elon/SpaceX turned Starlink service in that region back on after the Ukrainian govt. contacted them. I'm sure it's a subject that will get dredged back up inumerable times in the coming years.

CNN —

Ronan Farrow wrote an article about this a few weeks ago in the New Yorker:

Elon Musk's Shadow Rule
[may be paywalled]

Last October, Colin Kahl, then the Under-Secretary of Defense for Policy at the Pentagon, sat in a hotel in Paris and prepared to make a call to avert disaster in Ukraine. A staffer handed him an iPhone—in part to avoid inviting an onslaught of late-night texts and colorful emojis on Kahl’s own phone. Kahl had returned to his room, with its heavy drapery and distant view of the Eiffel Tower, after a day of meetings with officials from the United Kingdom, France, and Germany. A senior defense official told me that Kahl was surprised by whom he was about to contact: “He was, like, ‘Why am I calling Elon Musk?’ ”
The reason soon became apparent. “Even though Musk is not technically a diplomat or statesman, I felt it was important to treat him as such, given the influence he had on this issue,” Kahl told me. SpaceX, Musk’s space-exploration company, had for months been providing Internet access across Ukraine, allowing the country’s forces to plan attacks and to defend themselves. But, in recent days, the forces had found their connectivity severed as they entered territory contested by Russia.

IMHO this should not be a big scandal. Was it handled perfectly? No, but in our imperfect world, things seldom are. IMO the root of the problem is that Musk jumped in to help Ukraine faster than the governments and bureaucracies could deal with it or respond appropriately. Farrow goes on to say Musk gave an ultimatum about getting paid for the Starlink services they were providing for free. I did not see an ultimatum or threat. I saw that he asked to get paid and that caused a silly uproar.

If someone has a link to an ultimatum, please share it. People acted like it was an ultimatum because Elon did have the power to turn off Starlink access in Ukraine on a whim. Ironically, what he was asking for that caused the uproar was to be let out of that position of control by getting an actual contract to provide the service.

There are many things Elon does that I strongly disagree with but IMO he was mostly a hero when he provided Starlink service to Ukraine so quickly. Of course, no good deed will go unpunished.

Ronan Farrow wrote an article about this a few weeks ago in the New Yorker:

Elon Musk's Shadow Rule
[may be paywalled]

Last October, Colin Kahl, then the Under-Secretary of Defense for Policy at the Pentagon, sat in a hotel in Paris and prepared to make a call to avert disaster in Ukraine. A staffer handed him an iPhone—in part to avoid inviting an onslaught of late-night texts and colorful emojis on Kahl’s own phone. Kahl had returned to his room, with its heavy drapery and distant view of the Eiffel Tower, after a day of meetings with officials from the United Kingdom, France, and Germany. A senior defense official told me that Kahl was surprised by whom he was about to contact: “He was, like, ‘Why am I calling Elon Musk?’ ”
The reason soon became apparent. “Even though Musk is not technically a diplomat or statesman, I felt it was important to treat him as such, given the influence he had on this issue,” Kahl told me. SpaceX, Musk’s space-exploration company, had for months been providing Internet access across Ukraine, allowing the country’s forces to plan attacks and to defend themselves. But, in recent days, the forces had found their connectivity severed as they entered territory contested by Russia.

IMHO this should not be a big scandal. Was it handled perfectly? No, but in our imperfect world, things seldom are. IMO the root of the problem is that Musk jumped in to help Ukraine faster than the governments and bureaucracies could deal with it or respond appropriately. Farrow goes on to say Musk gave an ultimatum about getting paid for the Starlink services they were providing for free. I did not see an ultimatum or threat. I saw that he asked to get paid and that caused a silly uproar.

If someone has a link to an ultimatum, please share it. People acted like it was an ultimatum because Elon did have the power to turn off Starlink access in Ukraine on a whim. Ironically, what he was asking for that caused the uproar was to be let out of that position of control by getting an actual contract to provide the service.

There are many things Elon does that I strongly disagree with but IMO he was mostly a hero when he provided Starlink service to Ukraine so quickly. Of course, no good deed will go unpunished.
Someone needs to straighten out Denys about CNN & Starlink; at 14:00 he’s rehashing that misinformation from CNN in his latest video: