Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THAT'S the way it should be in some repressed countries if not everywhere! Instead of just mumbling at their invisible friend on Sunday mornings or whenever in Mosque or whatever, and saying meaningful things like "god willing" via a system of mind poisoning like we have in the US, imagine if all the little girls and women in Afghanistan and Iraq and even India were armed like this to stand up for themselves, or at least if they were all military trained and enabled like in Israel.

What does this mean?

That Russia gets Georgia if they withdraw their troops from Ukraine?
This was in answer to the question of, "What does it look like if NATO lets Russia win in Ukraine ?". The succinct answer I gave was that Ukraine would end up looking like Georgia.

The more complex answer is that Georgia is a post-Soviet state that the USA encouraged to think could become a truly post-modern democracy, and an independent nation-state, and a member of both EU and NATO. Then when the Georgians tried to turn that into reality the USA and NATO cut them loose and hung them out to dry. The fine words from Bush et al were cheques that could not be cashed. (The EU, as usual, keeps trying to pick up the pieces but that is a thankless task and they are not thanked for it by anyone). As a result Georgia is once again a client state of Russia with a Russian (Putin) puppet regime running the show. And two frozen conflicts that Russia can use and abuse if anytime Georgia were to try to break free. But now the Georgians know what the dream means; and also know not to trust anybody; and also know that power crushes; which makes it even sadder. And anybody who pays attention knows that these cancers spread, witness Syria, Mali, now Ukraine.

We need to make sure that this does not happen to Ukraine. Then we need to right the wrongs in Georgia and also in Moldova. Then we need to help the Balkans also reach their dreams. Then others, where Chechnya deserves a mention as it was the precursor, but there are many others. But first Ukraine.

@wdolson Just realized I had my blinders on...actually the gold standard in collapse should be the 1967 and 1973 Israel wars. Shouldn't have, feel I let the thread down by omission.

Other good examples, though Arab culture is different from Russian culture. Russia is xenophobic because of all the armies that have invaded over the centuries. Russian mythos is that they always defeat their enemies in the end. When they lose, it tends to destabilize their society. It happened in 1906, 1917, and 1989.

Much of the Arab world was occupied by somebody for centuries. Before the French and British "protectorates" most of the ME was controlled by the Ottomans. It was part of the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire before that. During the Crusades they eventually drove the Europeans out, but lost a lot of battles before that happened.

Losing to Russians is an existential crisis while losing to Arab culture is something you roll with. Additionally the Israelis are essentially a western army (many Arabs see them as a new crusade by proxy) with western weapons and tactics. Losing to a better force is easier to justify than losing to an army that should have folded like a cheap suit on day 1.

Russia also sees Ukraine as an inferior cousin. The Russians bear should always be able to beat up Ukraine without really working up a sweat.

The Europeans are trying to move away from Russian oil and gas and Modi is talking about buying more. It's sort of like the difference between owning a Yugo and trying to get rid of it compared to going out and buying one knowing the reputation.

Great assessment. The only question that remains is how long can Putin’s $300 billion in reserve buy itself some needed time? If China will help in any form? And whether India or others will buy Russian oil, which will also give Russia more time. From the beginning of the invasion reporters were questioning Biden if his $1 trillion sanction will work, his reply: wait a month and you’ll see the unprecedented effect.

Putin doesn't have access to a large portion of his reserves. Countries around the world have frozen them. They have virtually no international currency to work with.

India won't be able to get any of the oil they have agreed to buy until the war is over. The port to load the oil is shut down because of the war. I doubt India is going to agree to buy oil now with a delivery date that is completely unknown and could be many months.

Just as important as the military lifeline, how much will Putin pump into his own economy? When will the average Russian middle class start to really feel the economic pain and their savings evaporate? Military experts have stated the war is costing Russia up to $20 billion a day, I think that number is too high. Base on the lack of logistics, it might be closer to $1 billion a day. If we split the cost of financing the military and Russian economy at $1billion a day each, the Russians theoretically have 150 days or less, barring any income from oil exports, before they completely have to fold. If Putin does fold before he runs out of cash, how much time will $200-300 billion buy him before the Russian economy collapses? Then there’s this question: how will his military/young men who saw the fighting first hand, shooting of their own wounded soldiers, act of terrorism against Ukraine, being lied to and forced into battle, etc. react when they come home in massive numbers. They surely will be telling their parents, relatives the truth. And ounce the Russian economy feels realPAIN, that’s when things will get interesting.

The $20 billion a day comes from leaked meeting notes from a meeting with Putin around day 4 of the invasion. The notes just said "20 billion) with no currency mentioned. I assume they were talking about it in rubles. The exchange rate was about 89 ruble to the dollar then which would make it about $225 million a day. Since then the ruble has dropped relative to the dollar, but since all of this is internally spent money comparing to dollars at this point is sort of moot.

With their main oil port effectively closed by the war, the Russians have no options to sell more oil as long as the conflict is going on.

Another grim possibility is that when the war situation becomes untenable, they leave the army there to get ground to dust and either go into captivity or die. That solves the problem of soldiers coming home and telling the stories of what happened.

Also most Russian soldiers in the field are not aware of the destruction of civilian property they are doing. Most of the destruction is being done by artillery, air, and long range missiles. The only people who see any of this are the aircrews, but they are detached from it. Bombing from the air is disassociated from the personal damage they are causing on the ground.

The Russians may refuse to take back their POWs at the end of the war. Russians have a kind of 1940s Japanese attitude about prisoners. There was a story told by a retired US general who had been head of the command in Europe. His troops were renovating what had been a prison camp during the war (for some sort of museum or something) and they came across a cemetery. A bit of investigating and they discovered that it was for Russian POWs who died in captivity.

They did some sprucing up because Americans take war dead seriously. A Russian general was visiting and he offered to take the Russian general to see the cemetery and the general declined stating that the cemetery had to be full of Belarusian and Ukrainian POWs because Russians never surrender.

I can't recall if is was the same retired US general or another one who said he worked with Ukrainian peace keeping troops and they observed how the western armies honored their war dead. It was a new concept for them, but the Ukrainian army adopted the practice. The Ukrainians up to that time were more Russian in their approach which was to dismiss their war dead almost like they were losers and move on.

My partner and I were discussing this the other day. The Ukrainians are ultimately European in their outlook. Europeans do things like honor their war dead, as individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. The Russians are a hybrid between more eastern cultures and the west.

Individuals in east Asian cultures like China and Japan circa WW II had the normal attachment to family and individuals they love, but the government policies for care of their soldiers both living and dead is/was something westerners would consider amazingly brutal and heartless. The Russian approach is more like these eastern countries in this regard.

I think there is quite a bit discussed already about India’s reliance on Russia for arms they have been reducing.

BTW, at one time USSR supplied majority of India’s oil imports. Since now it’s only 3% - it has already done a lot.

Unlike Europe that kept getting Russian gas for so long.
Not exactly, India is moving in the opposite direction recently in trying to buy some of the cheap oil Russia is offloading:
Russia may have found a buyer for its cheap oil: India
This is while India has lots of other choices that are still viable for them (while EU is more restricted due to their geography).
Whats your point ? At least it’s not helping KSA starve a million kids in Yemen.

The point that was made there was media has different standards - yes I agree with that point.

Ps : looks like condemnation to me.

Abstaining and not mentioning Russia at all in that statement is condemnation of Russia? By that standard China has "condemned" Russia already given their rhetoric about respecting the territorial integrity of countries (without mention which country is violating which country's integrity), but I don't think you will find anyone that will agree with you.

Your logic reminded me of this exchange during a Taiwan legislative session between DPP Legislature President Zhenchang Su (abbreviate as ZCS below) and KMT Legislator Mingcai Luo (abbreviated as MCL below). DPP being anti-China and KMT being closer to China to the point some are parroting the non-condemnation of Russia (and implicitly blaming NATO/US for "starting" the war by not respecting Russia's security concerns).

MCL: We sincerely look forward to world peace and hope that the Russian-Ukrainian war will be stopped as soon as possible and international security will be restored.
ZCS: Member, how come I didn't hear a single sentence condemning Russia?
MCL: War is wrong!
ZCS: What about Russia?
MCL: It's wrong to start a war!
MCL: One should not start a war lightly!
ZCS: I still haven't heard Russia mentioned.
MCL: I am not familiar with Russia.
ZCS (expression of exasperation/disbelief)
MCL: I made it very clear that I am a lover of peace...

台灣會不會戰爭?蘇貞昌「沒聽到你一句譴責俄國」 藍委:俄羅斯我跟它不熟啊!
蘇貞昌4問「不譴責俄羅斯?」 羅明才:我跟它不熟啊! | 自由電子報 | LINE TODAY

Your statements sound exactly like the talking points China's mouth pieces tend to use, which is to blame western media for hypocrisy (a classic Tu quoque argument), while skirting over the fact they are unwilling be critical in any way of Russia's transgressions.
"When it comes to civilian casualties and humanitarian situation, I wonder if you were equally concerned about the civilian casualties in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and Palestine. Do these civilians mean nothing to you? Do not forget Serbia in 1999, or the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Did you show any care about civilian casualties there? If not, then you are in no position to make accusations against China."
Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian’s Regular Press Conference on March 17, 2022_Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America

Last edited:
Not exactly, India is moving in the opposite direction recently in trying to buy some of the cheap oil Russia is offloading:
Russia may have found a buyer for its cheap oil: India
This is while India has lots of other choices that are still viable for them (while EU is more restricted due to their geography).

Abstaining and not mentioning Russia at all in that statement is condemnation of Russia? By that standard China has "condemned" Russia already given their rhetoric about respecting the territorial integrity of countries (without mention which country is violating which country's integrity), but I don't think you will find anyone that will agree with you.

Your logic reminded me of this exchange during a Taiwan legislative session between DPP Legislature President Zhenchang Su (abbreviate as ZCS below) and KMT Legislator Mingcai Luo (abbreviated as MCL below). DPP being anti-China and KMT being closer to China to the point some are parroting the non-condemnation of Russia (and implicitly blaming NATO/US for "starting" the war by not respecting Russia's security concerns).

MCL: We sincerely look forward to world peace and hope that the Russian-Ukrainian war will be stopped as soon as possible and international security will be restored.
ZCS: Member, how come I didn't hear a single sentence condemning Russia?
MCL: War is wrong!
MCL: It's wrong to start a war!
MCL: One should not start a war lightly!
ZCS: I still haven't heard Russia mentioned.
MCL: I am not familiar with Russia.
ZCS (expression of exasperation/disbelief)
MCL: I made it very clear that I am a lover of peace...

台灣會不會戰爭?蘇貞昌「沒聽到你一句譴責俄國」 藍委:俄羅斯我跟它不熟啊!
蘇貞昌4問「不譴責俄羅斯?」 羅明才:我跟它不熟啊! | 自由電子報 | LINE TODAY

Your statements sound exactly like the talking points China's mouth pieces tend to use, which is to blame western media for hypocrisy (a classic Tu quoque argument), while skirting over the fact they are unwilling be critical in any way of Russia's transgressions.
"When it comes to civilian casualties and humanitarian situation, I wonder if you were equally concerned about the civilian casualties in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and Palestine. Do these civilians mean nothing to you? Do not forget Serbia in 1999, or the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Did you show any care about civilian casualties there? If not, then you are in no position to make accusations against China."
Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian’s Regular Press Conference on March 17, 2022_Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America

India won’t condemn Russia. Plain and simple.

If you read some previous posts on the subject, you might start to see why.

TLDR : A large % of military hardware is Russian. Diversification is happening but will take time.

If your entire military readiness would be in jeopardy tomorrow, you’d think twice about what you want to do too.

They could do without the Russian oil, though. I hope they don’t buy it, but then, there are many European countries which won’t stop buying either.

The Russians are activating their reservists. This is them:

Those guys look like they're in their 40s and their gear is a mix of stuff found in a surplus store. The guns are AK-Ms that were phased out in the 1960s and the helmets are the pattern used in WW II. Some of those backpacks are WW II style too.

This is the team that is going to be replacing the incompetent troops that were lost in the first three weeks. What we saw was their A team.

I found an article on the Russian Battalion Tactical Group doctrine. It's on my other computer, I'll try to remember posting it later. They redesigned their front line units to be based around BTGs in (I think) 2012 instead of the less flexible division. But they integrated a lot into these units like artillery and AA units. This is a flexible useful force in the hands of a well trained and coordinated military, but managing this array of arms with the poor training and leadership the Russians have just exposes their weaknesses in combat quicker. They have a Swiss army knife of a unit but can't figure out how to get it open.

Now these older men are going to be shoved into those shattered units and they are going to attempt to pull off highly complex coordination tasks with no training against a military that is now seasoned, well armed, and ready for a fight.

Next up, the C team: 12 year olds with sling shots and socks full of marbles.

The Russians are activating their reservists. This is them:

Those guys look like they're in their 40s and their gear is a mix of stuff found in a surplus store. The guns are AK-Ms that were phased out in the 1960s and the helmets are the pattern used in WW II. Some of those backpacks are WW II style too.

This is the team that is going to be replacing the incompetent troops that were lost in the first three weeks. What we saw was their A team.

I found an article on the Russian Battalion Tactical Group doctrine. It's on my other computer, I'll try to remember posting it later. They redesigned their front line units to be based around BTGs in (I think) 2012 instead of the less flexible division. But they integrated a lot into these units like artillery and AA units. This is a flexible useful force in the hands of a well trained and coordinated military, but managing this array of arms with the poor training and leadership the Russians have just exposes their weaknesses in combat quicker. They have a Swiss army knife of a unit but can't figure out how to get it open.

Now these older men are going to be shoved into those shattered units and they are going to attempt to pull off highly complex coordination tasks with no training against a military that is now seasoned, well armed, and ready for a fight.

Next up, the C team: 12 year olds with sling shots and socks full of marbles.

Wow. It took less than 4 weeks. I wonder what options Putin has anymore, to save face.

Is there anyone doing the war gaming and trying to look for the end game here?

Now would be a good time for Japan to start a special military operation to liberate the Kuril Islands.

I mean if other nations start invading Russian territory, then that's when the nukes will start flying. Japan isn't suicidal and they are not a nuclear state, but they are covered by the American nuclear umbrella which means that when the Russians nuked Tokyo, then the Americans will fire their nukes and the Russians will fire the rest of theirs and then it's the Fallout scenario and the end of human civilization.

For those who don't know what Fallout is:

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
The US call with China was kind of anti-climatic, but I guess that was expected. Basically both sides repeated their own points. Biden warned there would be consequences if China aids Russia. Xi repeated the talking points about NATO responsibility for the conflict, and need for dialog to solve the issue. China did once again pledge humanitarian aid to Ukraine (as mentioned in the summit with France and Germany), but still nothing concrete on that front (nor were other actions mentioned).
Biden warns Xi of global backlash if China helps Russia's attack on Ukraine

I'm not seeing any signs that China will play any game changing role in the Ukraine issue. China has their own internal problems with a recent surge in Covid cases, there are signs the economy is a bit shaky this year, and Xi is running for relection so he needs everything to go well this year in China, which means he is unlikely to want to play a very active role in the Ukraine issue (neither too pro-Russia and drawing possible sanctions, nor going pro-Ukraine with sanctions against Russia).

The US call with China was kind of anti-climatic, but I guess that was expected. Basically both sides repeated their own points. Biden warned there would be consequences if China aids Russia. Xi repeated the talking points about NATO responsibility for the conflict, and need for dialog to solve the issue. China did once again pledge humanitarian aid to Ukraine (as mentioned in the summit with France and Germany), but still nothing concrete on that front (nor were other actions mentioned).
Biden warns Xi of global backlash if China helps Russia's attack on Ukraine

I'm not seeing any signs that China will play any game changing role in the Ukraine issue. China has their own internal problems with a recent surge in Covid cases, there are signs the economy is a bit shaky this year, and Xi is running for relection so he needs everything to go well this year in China, which means he is unlikely to want to play a very active role in the Ukraine issue (neither too pro-Russia and drawing possible sanctions, nor going pro-Ukraine with sanctions against Russia).
Xi "reelection" is already a fait accompli, there is no one left in the Chinese Communist Party who can oppose him. He purged anyone who he thought was a potential enemy years ago during those trials for "corruption" early in his first term as President. He is the most internally powerful Chinese leader since Mao and can basically stay in power until the day he dies like Mao did. This is something the Americans need to pay attention to, because we change our President every 4-8 years but Xi will occupy his Presidency until he occupies a tomb. He can afford to think long term as in the rest of his natural lifetime, American Presidents only think at most 4 years out if even that.

Because he is thinking ahead longer than the next election cycle, he can actually think about what he wants for China in 10 or 20 years. And right now, fortunately for the West, he is thinking that he can turn Russia into a client state who supplies him with energy for pennies on the dollar because he can force Russia to accept yuan as payment. This is also why the Saudis are threatening to stop using the dollar too for oil payments, everyone sees an opportunity to break the power of the petrodollar and by doing do break the back of American influence with the dollar as the world's reserve currency. So Xi will not provide military aid to Russia, that would give Russia a chance to win and he wants Russia to lose so he can force Russia into becoming his energy slave.

However this is also unfortunate for the West because a Russia dominated by China means that China will have much more energy independence than they do now and more freedom to expand Belt and Road to create more client states. This is the modern version of mercantilism that China is playing and the goal is create an economic sphere dominated and controlled by China to oppose the American economic sphere which dominates the West. Having an exclusive source of energy is an important step towards establishing this new Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, and if you know what I'm referring to without Googling it then you know your history.

America and the West really needs to stop buying literally everything manufactured on Earth from China but by the time they realize how much China dominates the world, it will be far too late. I can speak Mandarin fairly well but I am far from fluent. I would do well to work on that until I'm as polished as a native speaker with the way things are going.

Xi "reelection" is already a fait accompli, there is no one left in the Chinese Communist Party who can oppose him. He purged anyone who he thought was a potential enemy years ago during those trials for "corruption" early in his first term as President. He is the most internally powerful Chinese leader since Mao and can basically stay in power until the day he dies like Mao did. This is something the Americans need to pay attention to, because we change our President every 4-8 years but Xi will occupy his Presidency until he occupies a tomb. He can afford to think long term as in the rest of his natural lifetime, American Presidents only think at most 4 years out if even that.

Because he is thinking ahead longer than the next election cycle, he can actually think about what he wants for China in 10 or 20 years. And right now, fortunately for the West, he is thinking that he can turn Russia into a client state who supplies him with energy for pennies on the dollar because he can force Russia to accept yuan as payment. So he will not provide military aid to Russia, that would give Russia a chance to win and he wants Russia to lose so he can force Russia into becoming his slave. However this is also unfortunate for the West because a Russia dominated by China means that China will have much more energy independence than they do now and more freedom to expand Belt and Road to create more client states. This is the modern version of mercantilism that China is playing and the goal is create an economic sphere dominated and controlled by China to oppose the American economic sphere which dominates the West.

America and the West really needs to stop buying literally everything manufactured on Earth from China but by the time they realize how much China dominates the world, it will be far too late. I can speak Mandarin fairly well but I am far from fluent. I would do well to work on that until I'm as polished as a native speaker with the way things are going.
Sure, it's not like there will be anyone that can seriously challenge him, but he seems to still want "legitimacy" especially given the next term would be against previous term limit norms (even though they did repeal them for him). Having China be in a bad spot (or appearance to the domestic population of such) in taking up this term would look really bad for him, and I think he is very conscious of that and wants to avoid that.
I agree he is trying to build himself as the next Mao, even using similar tactics like "Xi Jinping Thought".
Xi Jinping Thought - Wikipedia

stopcrazypp said..
"America and the West really needs to stop buying literally everything manufactured on Earth from China "

Agreed, but how? Maybe in 1979 it could have been stopped..but Corporations and the CEO's loved the cheap stuff, the profits, but not so much the people here getting laid off, not so much. It would take years to rebuild the Manufacturing that was done here..but yeah..I agree.

Wow. It took less than 4 weeks. I wonder what options Putin has anymore, to save face.

Is there anyone doing the war gaming and trying to look for the end game here?

The Pentagon war games everything, including some pretty far out scenarios. In the 1930s they had a series of war scenarios all given color codes. War Plan Orange was the Japanese expansion in the Pacific. They even had a war plan for if the British decided to take back their wayward colonies in North America.

They had a war plan for Putin invading Ukraine and as per normal procedure they are looking at it and revamping it daily. This is probably a heavy influence on NATO and US policy. They have determined how much help NATO can give Ukraine without triggering Russia into going nuclear and they are staying just inside that line.

This is probably the closest the world has ever come to a full blown nuclear war.

The end game is clear, there are two offramps from this: end of Putin's world and Russia takes a heavy hit that will take a long time to recover from, or the entire world becomes a nuclear hell-scape. Putin may manage to hold on somehow, but he will be dramatically weakened. At best like Saddam Hussein after Gulf War I.

Because he is thinking ahead longer than the next election cycle, he can actually think about what he wants for China in 10 or 20 years. And right now, fortunately for the West, he is thinking that he can turn Russia into a client state who supplies him with energy for pennies on the dollar because he can force Russia to accept yuan as payment. This is also why the Saudis are threatening to stop using the dollar too for oil payments, everyone sees an opportunity to break the power of the petrodollar and by doing do break the back of American influence with the dollar as the world's reserve currency. So Xi will not provide military aid to Russia, that would give Russia a chance to win and he wants Russia to lose so he can force Russia into becoming his energy slave.

However this is also unfortunate for the West because a Russia dominated by China means that China will have much more energy independence than they do now and more freedom to expand Belt and Road to create more client states. This is the modern version of mercantilism that China is playing and the goal is create an economic sphere dominated and controlled by China to oppose the American economic sphere which dominates the West. Having an exclusive source of energy is an important step towards establishing this new Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, and if you know what I'm referring to without Googling it then you know your history.

The pandemic woke up a number of companies in the US to the need to bring more manufacturing back to the US. It's just starting, but the US is re-industrializing right now. With advances in automation a lot of manufacturing can be done just as cheap or cheaper in the US than in China (especially when considering the shipping costs too). Elon was one of the first to see the potential when Tesla built the first Gigafactory.

In China there is a thing called the Mandate of Heaven that is over 3000 years old. The idea is the gods bless the rulers of China with the Mandate of Heaven to rule the country and their dynasty rules until the gods decide to withdraw the mandate. When the mandate is withdrawn the country sees natural disasters, peasant revolts, plagues, and other things to destabilization society. These continue to get worse until the current dynasty falls and is replaced by a new one.

The CCP suppresses any talk about the Mandate on social media, but according to some westerners who lived in China for many years and left before the pandemic, there was a lot of person to person talk about the mandate that kicked into a higher gear around 2019. The Chinese economy really started getting wobbly and on top of that the crackdown on Hong Kong was causing a lot of protests.

Many in the west don't know it, but China is also affected by the yearly monsoons that hit India. China's monsoons are usually milder than India's. In 2020 the monsoons were the worst seen since the 1930s. The Three Gorges Dam, the world's largest, got close to over flowing and a number of smaller dams failed. Large swaths of the rice crops were too flooded and the rice died. And to make things worse the part of the country that didn't get the monsoons had an epic drought.

Around the same time China had an outbreak of African Swine Fever and they had to put down almost their entire herd of pigs. They are trying a crash program now to rebuild the herd, but they didn't get rid of the Swine Fever and they have been buying up all of the world's spare grain to raise the pigs.

There are a lot of grumblings in the street about the Mandate of Heaven being withdrawn. That could bring down the CCP and China will decide to do something else for a government.

The issue with the pigs is going to make the grain shortages from Putin's war all that much worse. Under normal conditions the US, Canada, and Australia could at least partially make up the shortage by drawing from grain stored in silos, but those silos are empty because the Chinese bought it all. Let's hope the US ad Canada have bumper crops this year.

The Arab Spring happened when there was a world wide grain shortage that made food too expensive in the poorest parts of the world. In that case there were a number of crop failures back to back. One year Russia had wild fires that burned up a lot of the wheat crop, another couple of years Australia had a bad drought that prevented their growing enough grain to export, and the US had a couple of severe winters that flooded a lot of farm land in the Midwest until the end of planting season. The crisis took a couple of years to develop because most of the export countries had grain stored to make it through the first couple of years.

This year could be Arab Spring on steroids. The grain shortage is going to hit hard and fast.

2022 could be the year of the toppled dictators all over the world.

A fairly conservative sitrep

A more positive sitrep

Signs of Russians digging in

About a week or so before the (smallish) reinforcements from the east arrive

Russians towing (!) damaged helicopters out of Kherson, where seemingly yet another general has been killed, the fifth. Apparently this is the #2 out of the c.15 or so running the invasion

and

But Mariupol is really struggling to hold out.

Last edited:
stopcrazypp said..
"America and the West really needs to stop buying literally everything manufactured on Earth from China "

Agreed, but how? Maybe in 1979 it could have been stopped..but Corporations and the CEO's loved the cheap stuff, the profits, but not so much the people here getting laid off, not so much. It would take years to rebuild the Manufacturing that was done here..but yeah..I agree.
Locally produced very low cost renewable energy is going to shift the world in a fascinating ways, robotics another, and age another. In the first Tesla is a leading reason for that success. Chinese wages are still sub world standards, literally a cook in lago nigeria makes more than a one in Shanghai. Housing is at the other end, a good apartment in Shanghai is about the most expensive in the world. Only in China do we have such an odd dichotomy and it is because they manufactured the economy, it is not natural. Frankly, I think it is in some ways a house of cards but that is another story and a terrible way to describe things. The state needs to find a way to pull out of the economy so that markets can guide the deployment of capital. They are actually doing the opposite, it had gotten a bit better. It's getting worse. The economy is shifting, value in the future is not where it used to be, and China is getting old, fast. Something demographers had spotted 30 years ago. China will have plummeting working population in 20 years. This is, I believe, what concerns Xi. This is China's moment because in 20 years China has major major issues.