Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the Russians have started shooting (supposedly) hypersonic missiles to butcher some barnyard animals? 😁

Or that wasn't really a Kinzhal and really something else. The article also points out that the video doesn't show any secondary explosions, which you would expect from a destroyed ammo depot.

There are stories of a decline in Russian air and artillery activity. We may have entered the vaporware phase of the war where the Russians claim a bunch of successes that didn't really happen.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Or that wasn't really a Kinzhal and really something else. The article also points out that the video doesn't show any secondary explosions, which you would expect from a destroyed ammo depot.

There are stories of a decline in Russian air and artillery activity. We may have entered the vaporware phase of the war where the Russians claim a bunch of successes that didn't really happen.

Yes, that was the point raised in the BBC article I posted. This is really, really unbelievable.

Russia was supposed to be a superpower. Instead, it is looking like a very big version of Pakistan. If not North Korea. Lots of nukes, (of questionable quality, like you have repeatedly mentioned) but little else.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
It seems Russia's use of hypersonic missile/s has been confirmed by US officials. Where, and whether the intended target was hit wasn't specified. I don't think Russia has enough of these new missiles to make a huge impact in Ukraine.
The only source I found that says that is CNN and it says:
"US officials confirmed to CNN that Russia launched hypersonic missiles against Ukraine last week, the first known use of such missiles in combat. The US was able to track the launches in real time, the sources said."

This does not match with Russian claims that they fired it just this Friday though.
US officials confirm Russia has used hypersonic missiles against Ukraine

The only source I found that says that is CNN and it says:
"US officials confirmed to CNN that Russia launched hypersonic missiles against Ukraine last week, the first known use of such missiles in combat. The US was able to track the launches in real time, the sources said."

This does not match with Russian claims that they fired it just this Friday though.
US officials confirm Russia has used hypersonic missiles against Ukraine

Though the missile isn't all that new. It's basically an Iskander missile adapted to be carried by an aircraft.

Another logistics thread from Trent Telenko

The Russians are losing trucks at a staggering rate and he predicts that is going to skyrocket soon as all the abuse those trucks are getting is going to catch up with them. He talks about the abuse US trucks got in Iraq and Afghanistan with the US strict maintenance schedules and care for their drivers. After a couple of months of war there were a lot of broken down trucks.

Putin can't have any of the soldiers involved in this war coming home and telling people back home what they did. I suspect he's going to try and rescue the situation by throwing more troops at it for a bit, but his plan C when that fails will be to abandon the entire army in Ukraine, close the border and tell the Russian people they were successful. Maybe throw a parade with a few troops who never went to Ukraine. This after cutting off internet access to the outside world and hope the truth doesn't leak in.

I saw that earlier. The Ukrainians have taken vehicle losses, but they don't need them as much as the Russians. They also seem to be getting a steady stream of replacements from captured Russian vehicles.

The Russian losses look crippling. Even the low estimates are bad.

What's even worse for the Russians is the losses to their senior officers. Their "bench" of officers capable of command is pretty shallow to begin with. What's left of the army in the field must be dissolving into chaos.

One elite unit called SOBR lost all its senior officers in one attack:
Elimination of enemy colonels: Losses of Russian troops in Ukraine (20.03.22 11:06) «War in Ukraine - CANADA TOPNews.MEDIA

On page five of this morning’s Toronto Star are two stories concerning the results of an EKOS poll (to be published online this weekend).

Executive summary: the less doses of COVID vaccine one has, the more one is against any Canadian response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The stories detail how the same anti-vaxxer “dogma” is being repeated by the same segment of the Canadian population as pro Russin “dogma”.

I can confirm this via anecdotal evidence with people I personally deal with.
Screenshots of those two stories: D9E06163-EEAB-43FA-A0DA-C81F2A02B887.jpeg3222B97C-88FB-42AA-B57C-4194FF73C7B2.jpeg

I saw that earlier. The Ukrainians have taken vehicle losses, but they don't need them as much as the Russians. They also seem to be getting a steady stream of replacements from captured Russian vehicles.

The Russian losses look crippling. Even the low estimates are bad.

What's even worse for the Russians is the losses to their senior officers. Their "bench" of officers capable of command is pretty shallow to begin with. What's left of the army in the field must be dissolving into chaos.

One elite unit called SOBR lost all its senior officers in one attack:
Elimination of enemy colonels: Losses of Russian troops in Ukraine (20.03.22 11:06) «War in Ukraine - CANADA TOPNews.MEDIA
That's why I believe the Russian's communication network is completely penetrated. Far far too many top people getting popped.

Haha, easy way to deal with this: just tell'em its a PROTEST CONVOY to Kyiv. They'll prolly even donate. :p

Cheers!
I have asked, diplomatically, more than one of the pro convoy folks why none of them have been standing side by side with Ukrainian Canadians as they protest for the freedom form their countrymen.

The reply is always the same: ”It’s their (Ukraines) fault…”

Putin can't have any of the soldiers involved in this war coming home and telling people back home what they did. I suspect he's going to try and rescue the situation by throwing more troops at it for a bit, but his plan C when that fails will be to abandon the entire army in Ukraine, close the border and tell the Russian people they were successful. Maybe throw a parade with a few troops who never went to Ukraine. This after cutting off internet access to the outside world and hope the truth doesn't leak in.

You believe he would abandon the entire army he sent into the Ukraine? Don’t see how anyone could spin that as a percentage play, Putin included. Think he would more likely set off a couple of tactical nukes and send the army in to steamroll despite the radiation rather than abandon his army. And I don’t see him doing that either.

The whole point of hypersonic missiles is to threaten nukes with them. No one can stop “standard” missiles in the Ukraine at the moment. There is no additional threat by having faster missiles there. The threat is that a hypersonic will take out far away targets (Europe, US) with nukes before the targets can even begin to respond.

But these are also empty threats. Any nuclear exchanges would quickly escalate to worldwide Armageddon and the polar ice caps taken out as well, unless Russia has enough hypersonics to take out 98% of the nukes and targets in the world before anyone knew it, including the mobile ones like the submarines underwater. This is a fantasy scenario that would still result in the collapse of civilisation and probably extinction.

That sounds like something out of Stalin's playbook. I think it's exceedingly unlikely that none of the Russian troops in Ukraine will be coming home alive. Very imaginative scenario though. If we're lucky, Putin won't even be in power when this invasion is called off.