Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the reason Putin hopes for escalation is probably to switch the domestic publicity spotlight from Ukraine to NATO where the people are more firmly brainwashed? It's really best for NATO to just let Putin bleed out on this one ...

Putin could want to draw NATO in because he can more easily frame a nationalistic narrative of rallying around an existential threat of NATO compared to a failed annexation that puts the blame squarely on his shoulders.

Putin could want to draw NATO in because he can more easily frame a nationalistic narrative of rallying around an existential threat of NATO compared to a failed annexation that puts the blame squarely on his shoulders.
His conscripts and their families are getting some of the reality of this back home, could cause problems for him.

Exporting emissions is a thing. If you stop producing stuff and import most of it, your emissions will reduce.

And the great recession of 2008 helped ...

Add back embedded emissions and see what happens ...

ps : How do CO2 emissions compare when we adjust for trade?

Hmmm. If we don't export it, someone else will take our place. And maybe someone not so nice as us, leading to tyrants getting more power and oppressing more people. The US is emitting less (burning less) because our middle class continues to get richer and larger; The richer we are, the more time and resources we can allocate to saving the planet. The more EVs we buy.

The irony is that there is a huge part of the world that is still poor and is decades away from caring about the planet. They need cheap fuel to richen their lives now, build a middle class, and then they will have time to think about the planet's future just like we do. Solar panels and windmills are doing it. If nuclear power is held back, then we wait for fusion. In the meantime, we rely on efficiencies to gradually lower emissions..

Reactions: UncaNed
What if, this is just another #teaparty?

As Corporations Pull Out of Russia, Koch Industries Pushes On

"The Koch industry operates as a Trojan horse operation trying to destroy good institutions and they have pretty much the same agenda as the Russians," one of the staffers who signed a statement distancing themselves from the article told Politico.

#followthemoney

His conscripts and their families are getting some of the reality of this back home, could cause problems for him.
With a complete lock on the media, that impact may be limited however. Just saw a video where someone who just had a small card that says "two words" was arrested within seconds. A lady that followed and asked to be interviewed as a pro-war side, was also promptly arrested shortly after.

If you don't think total media control can keep a population largely complacent, look no further than China, major difference being China's economy is generally doing ok (or at least China is able to convince people of such). Russian's economy is not, but if the government can fool most of the population into thinking this is just from the West trying to ruin Russia for a legitimate military operation, then it may not threaten Putin's hold on power and people way be fine with putting up with the impacts (maybe even proud). You can look to North Korea for a model on that.

Exporting emissions is a thing. If you stop producing stuff and import most of it, your emissions will reduce.

And the great recession of 2008 helped ...

Add back embedded emissions and see what happens ...

ps : How do CO2 emissions compare when we adjust for trade?
We can't really impact emissions much, you say the recession helped. It caused huge loss of life and forced hundreds of thousands or millions into bankruptcy which has its own terrible string of consequences. At this point we are waiting for battery factories to come on line. That's it. Nothing you can do today that moves the needle much. Well, put up solar panels but even then that can be tough. Mostly, we wait on battery factories and we plan to build more and put pressure on to build more. In this regard, the conflict has been a huge impetus for the EU to shift to renewables. Putin has been trying to forestall that for the last 20 years. From halting nukes in germany to funding nimby anti wind, to funding the german utilities that lobbied against solar. That's all Putin. Just wiping him clear of Europe will do wonders for a sustainable transition. But in the short short term...we wait on battery factories.

another cool video that can provide some historical context of conflict; a map of Europe every year from 200 BC:

I was struck by the low population numbers for most of the history (not a surprise really) along with how fragile that population looked. There were a few years where the top population country was invaded, its population split between the conquering and conquered nation, and the combination being a significant % lower than the population before the invasion. Had me wondering if they were going to make it or not :)

Also by the Ottoman Empire - its borders were pretty stable for like 8 centuries or something? I don't know anything about their living conditions relative to the rest of their contemporary world, but they were clearly doing something right - that was many, many generations of power being handed off with the borders remaining pretty stable.

Okay - "only" 6 centuries.

In all this and most others commentary people may be ignoring what may be the most intractable problem for Putin's Russia now.
That is lack of developers and other IT professionals. By one reliable source I am informed that some half million have already emigrated and as many more may do so soon. A huge proportion of Russia's expertise has dual nationality. This problem is critical right now and is impairing ever military and economic sector.

This, to the extent that it is true, is inhibiting every single component of human activity that is dependent on automation even computerized records.
The consequences are already obvious, are they not?

Thus far communication links are still functioning, including internet. Messaging to/from Russia still works quite normally.
What will happen when some node, somewhere breaks?

Their brain drain has been bad. Additionally the Russian school system has deteriorated so they don't have well trained kids coming along who can take those positions.

The Russians were good at IT after the fall of the USSR because while the USSR was not strong on tech, they did put an emphasis on STEM education and all those well trained kids were well poised to jump into IT in the 90s.

From what I've observed of Ukraine's ability to rally resources for this war, I think they have continued to teach STEM in schools which leaves them well poised to become a powerhouse in the EU once they rebuild.

How many of the russian army, looking at what is happening at home (assuming they have roaming access to unrestricted internet), Russia becoming (more) police state, how many want to go back? They should maybe declare independent and join the likes of the other batallions already fighting in Ukraine, to free Ukraine.

The troops in the Russian army are in the dark. One of the things they did was confiscate all personal electronics before the invasion.

If there is any truth to this, it would be pure insanity on the part of the Russians. Do they really think they are in any position to invade the west? Do they think that airstrikes into NATO countries would not elicit a response from NATO? I can only think that NATO would be forced to neutralize Russian strike capability via conventional means. With the whole world hoping that Russia wouldn't respond to this with nuclear weapons. Regardless, if Russia thinks this is World War 3, NATO best be preparing for this now and ready to meet the threat.

My partner came across something yesterday about Russian forces on the border of the Baltics getting more active. Her opinion was that Putin was going to start a war with the west to give him an excuse for losing. He was in the position of having to admit defeat to a smaller country, but if he can blame the US for crushing them he might be able to hold on in a neutered Russia like Saddam Hussein did in Iraq after the first Gulf War.

it looks like their decision making is even more delusional than that. I think the scenario most like is #3. And the US has the best offensive cyber attack ability in the world. If Russia tries to cyber attack the west, the US will fry the entire Russian internet in response.

One thing I've observed starting back in the 1990s. One thing most European countries have zero tolerance for is war on European soil. It's what triggered the unusual NATO intervention in the Balkans in the 1990s. The European reaction to the war in Ukraine has been similarly strong. NATO has not been able to act directly, but they have gone all in on everything possible minus direct military intervention.

There may be a little waver here and there among NATO members to Russian threats. Hungry is most likely, but I think the division is going to be vastly less than Russia expects.

I was also confused at the first part of the letter where he was talking about war between Iran and the US. I had already forgotten about the missile strike on the US embassy in Iraq. The US is not interested with a war with Iran right now and so they accepted Iran's apology and moved on.

I wonder if the calming of tensions between the US and Iran have changed their analysis any?

This ends one of two ways: full scale war between the world and Russia, or Putin gets retired (possibly no longer breathing, possibly in a dacha somewhere in Siberia).

If the war doesn't turn nuclear, Russia will not last long. Their military will be wiped off the map in a matter of days to a couple of weeks and they will be left with nothing. Sort of like the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

If it turns nuclear either we'll find out Russian maintenance of their nuclear stockpile has been poor and they will drop a number of dirty bombs on western cities from the missiles that make it out of the silos and the western nuclear powers will wipe Russia from the map. Or if the Russian nukes do work, it's pretty much game over for the human race. Some people will probably survive, but it won't be a life worth living.

I sincerely hope Putin gets retired before it gets to full scale war. That's the worst case scenario I was concerned about last week.