Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slashing consumption to deprive Russia of vital energy revenue is the right idea, but his math is way, way off. Just looking at oil, let's say roughly half of oil use is driving, half of driving is >60 mph highway and 10 mph saves 12% (see Consumer Reports real world testing). That's a 3% oil reduction. Europe needs a 35% reduction, from 14m bpd down to 9. So..... a bit short.

If the US and Canada also sacrifice instead of just flapping our gums it's a 14% reduction, from 36m bpd down to 31. That's doable, but still far more than 10 mph provides.

Who else can pitch in? Forget OPEC. They enjoy $100 oil and need a working relationship with Putin. So even if we abandon VZ/Iran sanctions, Saudi Arabia and crew will reduce output to hold total OPEC supply constant. China won't help, except temporarily via Zero Covid. Japan, South Korea, etc. might make rounding error contributions.

So it's all on the west to reduce 14%/5m bpd. We could fill 2m bpd of that gap from strategic reserves while we ramp production 2m bpd, but we still need a 3m bpd cut from today's levels instead of the forecasted ~1m bpd growth. And we can't do that on the commercial side (planes, ships, trucks, etc.) without breaking the economy, so consumers need to cut ~20% from planned levels.

20% is Covid-level reduction. Massive work-from-home, carpooling, biking/walking, altered vacation plans, etc. Wartime rationing is the only way. Are we willing to sacrifice for Ukraine?

Politicians and leaders like Branson think the answer is no. That's why they keep spinning fairy tales.
I got a few things wrong in that post.

Like you write it's 10 mph – not 10 km/h.

And he was talking about the countries in the International Energy Agency (IEA) – not only Europe. And he's also suggesting additional cuts. I haven't found the letter that CNN segment is about...

Another tiny bit of evidence:
My (former) Russian client now has none of the senior executives left in Russia. The last one left last week, with an 'interesting' way out. Also, every single one of their IT professionals are now out of Russia. Most had foreign passports while a few used creative solutions. The numbers were large; I knew quite a few of them, far from all.

FWIW, a fair number have ended out in Israel, mostly not Jewish. The majority have ended out in Nato member countries that were once USSR controlled, since many of them had citizenships or eligibility for such.

We read about that regularly, including evidence that many government functions are weakened because of staff departures. If what I am being told is even halfway accurate the banking system is being total collapse and while insurrection seems unlikely acts of sabotage are now common.

Bluntly I really cannot distinguish between wishful thinking and actual facts at this point. I can say that it is not coincidental that multiple very wealthy Russian entrepreneurs are now publicly dissenting, including my erstwhile client. It seems that almost all the Moscow based corporate aircraft have already gone abroad, not too difficult since nearly all were registered abroad anyway. A number of them have exited through countries that still accept passengers and aircraft arriving form Russia, then quickly move West. Sanctions, such as they may be, seem inadequate to identify these movements, not even the sanctioned people, who may have non-Russian passports with different names than are used by them Russia.

Net: Putin has been pretty nasty about all these defections, enough that he's talked about them. Does that mean anything about threats to his rule?

Paraphrasing the words of the great Auric Goldfinger

"Mr Putin, they have a saying in Chicago: 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action'."​

Getting the🍿 ready:cool:

This is beautiful (not that I would encourage any unlawful behavior), but consider you were a student from Ukraine, studying, and you heard *sugar happened to your family in Ukraine, and you had some like minded friends, maybe make some coctails in various places in Russia to balance things.

• Helpful
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
One might say things are really beginning to heat up in Russia now.

Like a pressure cooker ready to blow.

It isn't to critical mass yet. The problem Putin has is the people with the technical skill to design and make his war material are also the people most likely to have the technical know how to get around the national firewall with a VPN. So the people who know the most about the real war are also those who are technically skilled and some are in a position to do acts of sabotage on important facilities.

The bulk of the population are still believing the BS though.

What's the end game here do you think? Pretense for dropping a nuke?

No, the WindOfChange letters translated by Igor Sushko talk about it. As long as this war is a "special operation" Putin's hands are tied as far as war mobilization. If Russia formally declares war on Ukraine, then they can convert the entire national economy over to a war economy, draft all men between 18 and around 45, and do other draconian measures to try and stem the bleeding from the sanctions.

To do that they are planning false flag operations in the areas of Russia near Ukraine to give them an excuse. They painted large Vs and Zs on many apartment buildings in Crimea and places like Belgorod which will be targets for the false flag attacks.

Russia can play fast and loose with the law sometimes, but with conscription Putin has been very careful to follow the law and in recent years they have scaled back the conscription time requirements because it's extremely unpopular in Russia and he knows he's walking on egg shells if he expands conscription. He can only do it if he gins up a national emergency first.

Russia has a plethora of problems conscripting many more people than they do now. There is a shortage of uniforms, boots, and even basic infantry weapons like rifles. A national emergency would crank up production of those things they still make themselves, but the foreign supplies of some of these may be gone and they will have to start production from scratch. Even for relatively simple things like uniforms that will take months to ramp up, even if they make them in country already.

Russia also faces the possibility of mass rebellion if they do try to convert to a war economy. A lot of people are going to be WTF? about the war, even with false flag attacks if suddenly Putin declares war formally and the economy shifts for a war they said last week Russia was winning.

Russia has a plethora of problems conscripting many more people than they do now. There is a shortage of uniforms, boots, and even basic infantry weapons like rifles. A national emergency would crank up production of those things they still make themselves, but the foreign supplies of some of these may be gone and they will have to start production from scratch. Even for relatively simple things like uniforms that will take months to ramp up, even if they make them in country already.

Russia also faces the possibility of mass rebellion if they do try to convert to a war economy. A lot of people are going to be WTF? about the war, even with false flag attacks if suddenly Putin declares war formally and the economy shifts for a war they said last week Russia was winning.

The people of Russia would finally have equal strength to the secret police once they are armed and in uniforms. I wonder why they wouldn't attack Kremlin, than, instead. Hope Putin conscripts enough of them. Putin is basically playing prisoner's dilemma on Russians vs Ukrainians.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skipdd
Russia has a plethora of problems conscripting many more people than they do now. There is a shortage of uniforms, boots, and even basic infantry weapons like rifles.
The other looming problem is a shortage of hard weapons, Ukraine may now have more tanks, I bet the gap in terms of artillery is closing and they are also getting multiple drone weapons.

Ukraine has also shown itself to be very adept at destroying Russian military hardware of all kinds, but particularly tanks.

Russia is now honest about the true (current) objective of the war, to invade and occupy the East and South of Ukraine.

If may become apparent that that isn't going to be possible. Russia will gain nothing by throwing more people at a war they can't win.

Ukraine can make a return to the Feb 24 boarders and the return of all kidnapped Ukrainians a precondition for a referendum on a wider settlement,.
That is the best deal I think Russia is going to get, the longer the war goes on the more of their army and hardware will be destroyed.

I can't see Ukraine urgently needing a deal, if anything Germany will bow to growing pressure and join in significant arms supplies.
Support for Ukraine of all kinds should keep flowing, a few more wins will boost morale.

Russia really needs to make significant progress soon, morale and public support mist be dropping the longer it goes on.

I can't see Ukraine urgently needing a deal, if anything Germany will bow to growing pressure and join in significant arms supplies.
Support for Ukraine of all kinds should keep flowing, a few more wins will boost morale.

Kyiv gave an ultimatum to Russia that if it holds a staged referendum to “legitimize” its occupation in Kherson Oblast, it will put an end to negotiations.