Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to articulate a logical sounding rebuttal, but its late and I’m tired…

If Ukraine was as unprepared as you imply, the Russian campaign to conquer the whole country would have indeed been the three day rout that was being touted by some Russian controlled media sources.
They were not at all "unprepared". I posted a link earlier, Ukraine had been working feverishly to change the armed forces into a western model. Hard hard work. They succeeded. They had been preparing prior to 2014, by 2015 it was really moving.

His prewar stuff is nothing but brilliant. His execution despite not reading the room very well got him into this mess. Prior to all the weapon support and Ukrainians were not very well collected, they had a chance to negotiate for the Donbas region and Crimea. However their cockiness landed them a cake with poop filling blowing up in their face.
You are confusing brilliance with sadism. He's sadistic and cruel and immoral. Yes. Have you seen Aleppo? Grozny? People disappearing. Murders, blatant murders all over the world. There is no brilliance just utter darkness for whatever he touches. You understand that the russian army of today, that thing that is a clear sham was a creation of putin. A shell that created impact by brutality, with weapons that are antiquated, corruption at unparalleled levels compared to any Western entity. All of this was behind the curtains. Now there is a hole in the curtains and Ukraine may pull it completely off.

Last edited:
FDR saw the wars coming and was determined to get a corps of experienced aviators. He couldn't do that in Spain but he could in China. The combat experienced avaitors formed the basis of the US naval training instructors and it's a key reason why the US had very high success rates in encounters with Japanese Zero's. They understood the lack of armor, climbing, diving abilities, etc. It also enabled a new splurge of aircraft designs.

I think we are seeing the same with armed drones today. This is the testing ground and I believe the first country to really digest and employ the lessons here will change the balance of power in the air.

Sort of, but not exactly. The AVG was based in Burma to keep the Burma Road into China open. They only faced the Japanese Army aircraft. The fighters were a mix of Ki-27 Nate fighters which had fix landing gear and an open cockpit and early models of the Ki-43 Oscar. The Chinese did capture a Zero almost intact before Pearl Harbor, but it took more than six months to get back to the US. A Zero that was recovered almost intact near Dutch Harbor, Alaska during the Midway operation (the attack on Alaska was a diversion to try and lure the US fleet away from the Hawaiian islands) was evaluated before the Chinese captured Zero.

The AVG did find that high kinetic tactics would beat the Japanese fighters rather than dog fighting them. Separately the USN fighter pilots began to figure out that the F4F Wildcat was a poor dog fighter against Japanese fighters, but if a pilot kept the speed of the encounter up the Japanese planes couldn't maneuver.

John Thatch is credited with coming up with the Thatch Weave
Thach Weave - Wikipedia

But that's probably not very relevant to this conversation.

I cannot help but laugh at the American posters who want a "fair" vote for Crimea, when their own electoral system is being compromised by the day with trumpers who gauge electoral integrity by the winner and actively circumvent the courts when they cannot compromise them.

It will be quite the irony if UKR becomes a functioning democracy and the USA degenerates into a fascist autocracy a la Russia

If the US went fascist it will be very grim for the rest of the world.

"Losing to Nato is more honorable" is stretching. There's no indication that Putin is considering driving that narrative vs escalating to triple down.

You know better than anyone what Putin did was idiotic and doesn't have the numbers. Have we seen in the past 8 months any shred of strategic brilliancy from the man?

The only shred of brilliancy I find from Putin is all the prewar stuff. Driving polarization in thr Donbas area using propaganda and fake news, driving polarization in the US. Almost had a president willing to pull out of Nato. Making sure EU is very energy dependent on Russia, and strategically became more and more sanction proof.

However everything after the invasion started was nothing but stupidity. So we are now all hoping this stupid person will one day wake up and do what is best for his country while sacrificing his own power and admit stupidity...kind of a stretch.

Putin is a politician and a chess master in that world. On military strategy, he's an idiot. Just like Elon Musk is brilliant at innovating technology but has a horrible track record on social media, putting his foot in his mouth frequently.

Putin did the invasion of Ukraine as a political move, and it would have been if Ukraine collapsed under the pressure. When Ukraine decided to put up a fight, Russia was toast. The Russians brought the wrong army that was too small for the task it ended up with.

Your observation reminded me of this upcoming SCOTUS case:

The implications are terrifying, but odds are high it will lose at SCOTUS. The fact this is in front of the court at all is way too close.

Brilliant in the eyes of fools who could not see through the lie that 100k troops massing on the UKr border was a prelude to invasion.

I knew the invasion was coming and the Russians were in trouble because they didn't have enough troops. No army in history has done a build up like the Russians did without launching an invasion.

While that is true, this war has confirmed the emergence of Drones as a very important weapon, likely to become increasingly important.

One consideration is it costs a lot of money to train pilots, good fighter/bomber pilots are in short, supply, planes are expensive to build, operate and maintain.

Drones come in all types and sizes some of them cheap. The will probably not replace planes, but I could see some air-forces downsizing the fleet of planes and investing in more drones.

The next step is anti-drone weapons, the challenge is economic, the cost of locating and destroying a drone should be no more than the cost of the drone.
FSD ......... sense and avoid ........... sense and (not) avoid .........

No Birthday party for Putin. Boo hoo. Probably a good thing, as 70 little candles could have started a lot of fires from what we've seen recently...

"The Kremlin has deemed it inappropriate to stage celebrations of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s birthday because "it has become clear that now is not an appropriate moment for celebrations".

No Birthday party for Putin. Boo hoo. Probably a good thing, as 70 little candles could have started a lot of fires from what we've seen recently...

"The Kremlin has deemed it inappropriate to stage celebrations of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s birthday because "it has become clear that now is not an appropriate moment for celebrations".

I'm sure Putler will find some little children to steal candy and ice cream from just so he can celebrate his big boy day. A kleptocrat's job is never done until there is nothing left to steal.

This caught my attention - A hotline and call center for Russian soldiers to surrender.

How would one deal with that? Do you dedicate resources you don’t have to holding defecting soldiers captive?

I suppose the alternative would be to turn them around back to their command for admonishment and potential desertion charges.

How would one deal with that? Do you dedicate resources you don’t have to holding defecting soldiers captive?

I suppose the alternative would be to turn them around back to their command for admonishment and potential desertion charges.

…. what takes more resources? Holding POWs or fighting soldiers?

Turkey is keeping Ukrainians for Russia. I’m sure Poland would be more than happy to hold Russians for Ukraine.

I've wondered about the same for a while now. The cynical answer is to hold them in places you do not want Russia to bomb. That way either Russia kills them for you and suffers the PR hit, or the location is spared bombing.
Well presumably if they’re deserters, then they would be considered persona non grata and bombing would take care of two problems with one strike for them.

This is a politician being a politician. He is claiming he will lose 50% of his countries' GDP by preparing for war? Ukraine haven't even lost that much in GDP 8 months into the war getting bombed out.
If Ukraine openly prepared for war prior to the invasion, Putin could have played that as a good reason to attack Ukraine “because the Nazis in Ukraine were preparing to attack Russia“ or some other propaganda.

Also, like the reactions after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour, the Russian invasion was unannounced and unprovoked and Ukraine secured worldwide sympathy and support (excluding the few countries that supported Russia).

If Ukraine openly prepared for war prior to the invasion, Putin could have played that as a good reason to attack Ukraine “because the Nazis in Ukraine were preparing to attack Russia“ or some other propaganda.

Also, like the reactions after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour, the Russian invasion was unannounced and unprovoked and Ukraine secured worldwide sympathy and support (excluding the few countries that supported Russia).
I don't see how that will provide Russia with any new propaganda as those reasons were already used and beyond, from Nazis are about to attack Russia to Ukraine doesn't deserve to be its own country. Putin threw any made up thing he can think of so openly preparing to defend an impending invasion just in case is the smart thing to do. I don't know why people here are arguing that preparation for doomsday scenario when literally every Western intelligence are begging Zelensky to prepare is a bad thing. It's a political F up and Zelensky is just trying to spin it as if it was 4D chess which we see every politician on the planet do when they were caught F-ing up.

• Disagree
Reactions: madodel
Ukraine participated in the genocide of its Jewish population in WWII. It is relatively easy for those born after the genocide to be tolerant, since there are only 5 - 10% left.

Here is a reasonable excerpt from wikipedia. Ukraine started with 1.5 million Jews before WWII. It is now somewhere in the 50k - 150k range. Is genocide "progress" ?
The Nazis were pretty efficient but local help was needed. Look at the ones where only 3 or 4 out of 100 survived. My grandparents got out in 1907.