Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought you were a US citizen. You should know the truth about language requirements: There is exactly zero requirement to take the test in English:
volume-12-part-e-chapter-2
In most of the US one may vote in languages other than English. In Miami-Dade , for example one may vote in English, Spanish or Haitian Creole.
Several people I know took the US citizenship exam without a single word of English.
Many countries do have official languages. For example my own Brazil. No foreign translations here. Brazlian Portuguese is the one and only official language.

Countries have a right tome those decisions as France and Italy did when they became nations, although Spain keeps a half dozen official languages.

All that is simply to say Ukrainians have that right, as do Russians. Like it or not that is the way it works in China, Korea and Japan. The only difference that that Ukrainians are perhaps emulating Israel that resuscitated Hebrew just as Ukraine is doing with Russian.
The citizenship test is taken in English except for when it's waived. The most common cause for failure is failing to demonstrate conversational English. I've been to hundreds.

The citizenship test is taken in English except for when it's waived. The most common cause for failure is failing to demonstrate conversational English. I've been to hundreds.
Then I suppose the ones I know were all waived. As my immigration attorney friend tells me, “you need to choose your jurisdiction carefully. Without question few non-English speakers know how to choose. I don’t argue the nominal rule, but note very high rates of exception in places like Florida, for example. As with many things knowledge is a major advantage.

Depending on where and with whom processing happens makes rules differ.

on topic, we all might not disagree that Russian-speaking v Ukrainian-speaking is fraught. Maybe not so much as Lithuanian v Polish v Russian, but still fraught. The there is Roman v Cyrillic. It cannot escape concern from the Moscow Kremlin that Russianphiliac sentiments are waning in many places. That might well be a major area of frightened sentiments there.

These are probably more durable losses than are Ukraine military ones, even though that disillusionment with Russian has been growing for some time. The good Dr Snyder has had rather a lot of insight on those issues. My views certainly are driven by his Insights.

The problem with that fake attack means that Russia plans to conduct some horrid attack somewhere today.
They have never shown restraint (in fact just the opposite), so the show attack is just window dressing for what would happen regardless. Russian propaganda is often primitive

Last edited:
It was an a amazingly bad farce of a staged event. Super high HD cameras all pointed right at the flag of the kremlin. Tiny tiny bomb, more like fireworks. Putin is of course nowhere close to Moscow when that happens. Much less in the kremlin at night. It is just too sad and they will show this over and over on TV.
That Putin setup this false flag points to him thinking things are going poorly in anticipation of the Ukrainian counteroffensive.

"Sixteen people have been reported killed in Russia’s shelling of the Kherson region today.

[...]

On the morning of May 3, 2023, Russian troops began to massively attack the city of Kherson and settlements across the Kherson region. As of 04:30 p.m., twelve civilians were killed in Russian chaotic attacks on civil infrastructure in the city of Kherson. Twenty-two more people received injuries of various severity levels. [..."

One of my childhood friends was an immigrant from Cuba (in Los Angeles). He was an aeronautical engineering major in college and I pointed out his options would be limited if he didn't get his citizenship so he and his older brother went through the process when he was 19 and his brother 20. They had been in the US since they were very small and both spoke perfect English. My friend criticized his brother because his Spanish had a heavy American accent.

When they arrived for the test, the examiner asked his brother "do you speako Englisho?" and his brother said "yeah, do you?" She threw the toughest questions on the test at him, but he passed with flying colors. At the time he was a double major at Claremont Colleges, English and Psychology.

An fairly good sized ammo depot hit today, cooking off for some time.

The problem with that fake attack means that Russia plans to conduct some horrid attack somewhere today.

My partner said she saw something today that the International Atomic Energy Commission people at the ZPP found that the Russians had wired up one of the reactors with explosives.

Yeah, Nukes in Ukraine would be just about the stupidest thing Russia could possibly do, with the exception of striking NATO.

It would result in short order of:
1) China cutting them off completely, for fear of being in any way (economically, politically) related to what was about to happen to them
2) Being completely cut off economically from the world - the west would go beyond sanctions, we would be talking blockades of ships transiting to/from Russia
3) the mother of all airstrikes on any Russian ship in the Black Sea (this was already warned to Russia if they used nukes)
4) the arming to the teeth of Ukraine with everything in the west's conventional arsenal (M1A1s by the thousands, F16s by the hundreds, ATCAMS, cruise missiles, you name it). Plethora of weapons not only able to allow Ukraine to fend off Russian aggression, but to take the fight to Russian territory.

Did I miss anything?

Did I miss anything?
Putin losing the war, his job, and probably his life as a result.

I agree it would be one of the stupidest things he could possibly do. IMO it would be far worse than striking NATO because in addition to provoking strong NATO retaliation, using unconventional weapons in Ukraine would turn the entire world against him in an instant.

Ukraine is currently in a awkward position because NATO doctrine relies on quickly establishing air superiority. We've held back on this to avoid getting NATO directly involved in the war. Once Putin crosses the line, establishing air supremacy may become essential to limit further unconventional attacks.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
  • Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate