Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ongoing thunderstorm now slows the offensive actions a bit. Some of the units that sustained combat damage are recouping. For the whole day today Russia was counter-attacking on Makarivka. It is an area where Ukraine has the most success so far. All failed, UA retained control of the settlement.

I'm a tad undecided on who caused the dam failure, but Ryan McBeth has an interesting video, where he paid for sat footage to backup his claims, that the dam wasn't bombed or blown up by internal explosives, but it was a failure of the structure itself due to mis-management (Russian).

Dam failures don't cause sharp seismic events. It was explosives. The Russians purposely filled the reservoir to max levels before they demolished it in order to maximize damage downstream. Now they lie about it. Surprised?

Last edited:
Dam failures don't cause sharp seismic events. It was explosives. The Russians purposely filled the reservoir to max levels before they demolished it in order to maximize damage downstream. Now they lie about it. Surprised?

Then where is the 2nd seismic wave?

Seems when looking at the same seismic wave, the guys at Stanford don't agree with the guys in Norway.

Seems when looking at the same seismic wave, the guys at Stanford don't agree with the guys in Norway.

You're looking for confirmation of something that hasn't been demonstrated to be required. How about look for another seismic recording of a known dam collapse. This '2nd wave' argument is dubious w/o support.

You're looking for confirmation of something that hasn't been demonstrated to be required. How about look for another seismic recording of a known dam collapse. This '2nd wave' argument is dubious w/o support.

I've watched Ryan for a couple years now, he does his homework. You are free to disagree and your argument has merit. But I noticed everyone counterpointing is focused on a very noisy seismograph, and completely ignoring the other points to his argument in the video.

I'm undecided, but ultimately it is Russia's fault though either mallice or incompetence.

First we had autonomous driving experts, then tax code experts, then foreign policy experts, then the Ukraine war brought us strategic warfare experts...and now we have added another major competency to Tesla Motors...experts in the field of seismic activity!

I'm blown away at the collective knowledge here.
Thing is.. while making generalizations about a population is always going to be fraught with errors regarding the outliers, the people who buy Teslas tend, I believe, to be people who think. That's not as common as one might expect.

People who do that tend to get degrees in stuff. Again, there's tons of variations and exceptions here, but I'd be surprised to find out, say, that the proportion of people around here with BS's, MS's, PhD's, and similar was less than the proportion of the same in the general population.

So.. You're probably going to find more Experts on X around here than, say, in the general pickup truck forums.

Last edited:
Needs to be verified by other sources, but if correct we may be seeing the return of Russian generals exiting to the netherworld:

Nitpicking, but I hope it's just an old photo, as the officer in the picture has a full colonel rank not a major-general (O-7 equivalent, brigadier general). And the shoulder tabs look to me like artillery not paratroopers, but that may be just the angle... Maybe he just got promoted to major-general, that's a 1-star for russian/soviet ranks. The name is consistent though in the article with the picture as well as the unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPlug
Nitpicking, but I hope it's just an old photo, as the officer in the picture has a full colonel rank not a major-general (O-7 equivalent, brigadier general). And the shoulder tabs look to me like artillery not paratroopers, but that may be just the angle... Maybe he just got promoted to major-general, that's a 1-star for russian/soviet ranks. The name is consistent though in the article with the picture as well as the unit.
Former US military here and don’t know my way around other national ranks, so couldn’t read Russian insignias to save my life.

His death is now confirmed with multiple other sources. Wikipedia is also updated in posthumous form now:

Sergey Goryachev - Wikipedia

It seems to me that the precise mechanism for catastrophic failure is less important than is the fact that Russian cynical destruction of civil infrastructure is part of their long-standing tactics.
It will be valuable to know precisely what happened, but that does not alter a consistently wanton pattern of war crimes.

Is that not the real point?

That title should more accurately be "Seismologists observed seismic wave from Kakhovka dam".

As a scientist myself, I can say they should not jump immediately to conclusions, they should just report the data itself. There was a single wave event, not two, reported.

Pictures don't lie either, the dam was over-topping with water in the days before the failure. That's the worst possible thing you can do, for any dam.

Some dams are designed to allow water to top them, but unless they are designed for that water topping the dam can lead to failure. But for this discussion the Kakhovka dam was not designed for that.

I'm sure we will know more about the dam failure in the coming weeks.

Most likely real. I've seen stories about this happening for months. That sort of thing does fit the Russian MO.

I think this puts it into context. Anyway time to hit the road now..

1686639816969.png

An excellent summary of the first week of the offensive from the Economist via archive.org. It's short and it's all good. I wanted to quote most of it.

Ukraine is counter-attacking in multiple directions, with mixed results
  • Full-frontal fighting along the Orikhiv-Tokmak axis there has been hard going, [...] with Ukraine taking significant losses of armour and personnel. “More than dozens” of soldiers had fallen, [...]
  • Ukraine [...] has struggled to cope with Russia’s traditional strengths in building fortifications and in electronic warfare [...]
  • “We haven’t committed our main forces, and the Russians haven’t committed their main forces.” Both were involved in a “chess game” to draw out each others’ reserves [...]
  • Rain is predicted for much of the next week, which could stall some of Ukraine’s advances [...]
  • Ukraine will only go as fast as the conditions allow, an intelligence source said. “We need to hurry, but slowly."