Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Positive signs:
Yes it is. You could see it early last week, things had changed -velocity. The only thing I'm a bit surprised by now is...well I won't type that. Anyway, it is clear that instead of 100m a day they are going 1km a day or more.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine how the media was back in WWII given how some of the battles were slugfests and extremely heavy on the tolls of life they had.

Sure todays media and “YouTube” experts would be framing it as the US was going to lose to Japan and Germany.
Man, absolutely...this conflict is very interesting on my side of the pond but must be maddening for Ukraine command. Overall the opsec from Ukraine has been brilliant. The arm chair generals...not so much.

I don't think anyone can overstate the importance that Putin brings to the conflict. His behavior and the tone it sets has resulted in a very ineffective leadership in the russian MOD. Very thoughtful analysts basically saying that whatever Ukraine did ...don't kill gerasimov even if you know where he is. Surovikin spent the whole winter/spring preparing Russian forces to fight on defense and they largely succeeded. Now that he has been removed the initial work he's done is wasted as they don't have anyway to adapt battle plans in the event of a breakthrough. they were clearly counting on breaking through in Svatove/Kremina and pulled all the reserves to that area. In 45 more days Ukraine may have a wide & deep enough salient to enable HIMARS strikes to the coast at any point and maybe firing control of 2 of the ports. We'll see but yeah the social media arm chair generals...not helping. Ironic in that in a micro micro way I am a social media arm chair general.

Last edited:
Japan's main problem is their strict immigration policy. It's hard to get into Japan, and like the rest of the developed world there is little incentive to have children as two incomes are needed for a first world lifestyle for two people. The root cause is wages not increasing along with productivity, so a single income earner cannot afford a family.
It's more than just that. Now that women are getting educations and careers, more are opting to not have children or are stopping at only one because having to take time off each time she has a child hurts her career as well as the added expenses for each kid and paying for child care while both parents work [My u.]. [...

There are other ways of solving that problem. In Sweden child care is financed through the tax bill. Parents have to co-pay(?), but these co-pays aren't so 'steep' as to 'inhibit' getting three kids (or more). Wouldn't be surprised if there are similar solutions in the other Nordic countries...

Last edited:
This is a good thread on the situation in the south. I would add only a bit. IF the russians have moved their best division from the attack in the north than that pretty much indicates the seriousness because USA arm chair officials were mostly in agreement that this Ukrainian success in the south would cause the russian army to redouble efforts in the north. Instead the russians pull the best rested and equipped units from that front and send them south. Currently they can do that, short lines of travel.

If you remember we had discussions on fires setting off mines here is confirmation of that from the above threads:

"Frequently, the hidden "surprises" detonate during shelling, triggered by fires that start due to the shelling (weeds, shrubs, and trees catch fire, setting off tripwires). At times, we ourselves discover and call in sappers to clear specific areas."

This substack nicely articulates my opinion about the current reporting on Ukraine in the major media, including NYT, Wapo, WSJ, and FT. All of those have been running assorted 'stalemate' articles that are not at all well founded, and always based on the anonymous 'analysts' in the US.

My simple observation is that all of the US analysts are terrible at their jobs, and we should not listen very carefully to them because they've been factually wrong on nearly every aspect of the war, and at every turn they underestimate the Ukrainians. Two obvious glaring misses are that the war would be over in a few days, and completely missing the breakthrough in Kherson last year. Also the fact that they all missed how hollow and fake the '2nd-largest' army in the world was.

It is far to soon to say anything meaningful about a stalemate or 'forever-war'. At a minimum, we need to wait until end of next summer before it could be that clear. Any talk otherwise is pretending to know the future, and demonstrates a profound inability to learn when presented with new data.

Not all Americans have been bad. Both Ben Hodges and Mark Hertling were calling it for Ukraine a few days into the war. Both worked training the Ukrainian military, A lot of the analysis from the US professionals has been bad though.

I can’t imagine how the media was back in WWII given how some of the battles were slugfests and extremely heavy on the tolls of life they had.

Sure todays media and “YouTube” experts would be framing it as the US was going to lose to Japan and Germany.

The media was censored during the war. The media wasn't allowed to say anything that wasn't cleared.

The hand wringing crowd would be arguing to throw in the towel after Pearl Harbor though.

There are other ways of solving that problem. In Sweden child care is financed through the tax bill. Parents have to co-pay(?), but these co-pays aren't so 'steep' as to 'inhibit' getting three kids (or more). Wouldn't be surprised if there are similar solutions in the other Nordic countries...

Too reasonable. Nothing like that could pass in the US.

Building for survivability is very important. You not only preserve morale because the people in the vehicles know they have a decent chance at survival, but it also makes cold logical sense. A trained crew who survives losing their vehicle now has some extra experience they will apply the next time they are in combat. The Russian crew who were blown sky high when their tank was hit are now lost forever along with their experience and training.

In addition to what others have written:

Not every child has a grandmother...

It could also be the case that the child's parent(s) and grandmother aren't on 'speaking terms'... Situations like those may be uncommon, but they are not unheard of...

Women are having children later now and grandparents may be too elderly to watch the kids. My parents had me late in the 60s. It was unusual then, but one grandmother was 80 and the other was in her 70s. They really weren't up to watching kids. One grandmother also lived an hour's drive away. I remember her watching me a couple of times, but it took some logistical effort to get mew to her or her to me.

More new mothers today have the sort of family age situation my family had.

this may force Germany to cough up the HIMARS cluster rounds awaiting disposal. A full salvo would drop munitions in an area 2km by 100m. In a couple of salvos you could target an entire trench fortification.

Doesn't those rounds still belong to the US? Why can't the US just say that they've changed their mind, and that they would like to have those rounds back? And then do you know what...

A very good analysis of the fortifications in the areas south of Robotyne.

Doesn't those rounds still belong to the US? Why can't the US just say that they've changed their mind, and that they would like to have those rounds back? And then do you know what...

Germany owns them. The US has a say in any transfers to other countries due to the international law about weapons transfers, but they do belong to Germany and they can do with them what they want up to the point of transferring them to another country.

So we are finally seeing some real maneuver warfare. All the bits and pieces we've seen snippets of recently are being employed.

Minefields: Ukrainian forces are using thermal imaging drones to identify clear paths or the shortest route between safe zones. Troops advance rapidly behind mine clearing charges being laid to take out just the weak points in the mine fields.

Russia did not finish building all the second line (likely due to the arrest of the driving force). Ukraine is now facing areas where flanking and encirclement are possible tactics so they avoided minefields, and are starting to avoid dense fortifications and simply flank the fortifications. Velocity is definitely increasing and we now have the salient moving 4km in less than a week. If you refer to the

Than this makes much more sense,

My expectation here is that soon we will see the Ukrainians widen the salient. Once that is done Ukrain will be able to bring all the airfields in between the salient and the Sea of Azov under HIMARS range. Cluster GLMRS rounds fired from a MLRS system would completely devastate an airbase, one salvo of 2km by 100m or however they wish to create the geography (1km by 1 km) will take out the helicopter base there in Berdyansk for example.

So we are finally seeing some real maneuver warfare. All the bits and pieces we've seen snippets of recently are being employed.

Minefields: Ukrainian forces are using thermal imaging drones to identify clear paths or the shortest route between safe zones. Troops advance rapidly behind mine clearing charges being laid to take out just the weak points in the mine fields.

Russia did not finish building all the second line (likely due to the arrest of the driving force). Ukraine is now facing areas where flanking and encirclement are possible tactics so they avoided minefields, and are starting to avoid dense fortifications and simply flank the fortifications. Velocity is definitely increasing and we now have the salient moving 4km in less than a week. If you refer to the

Than this makes much more sense,

My expectation here is that soon we will see the Ukrainians widen the salient. Once that is done Ukrain will be able to bring all the airfields in between the salient and the Sea of Azov under HIMARS range. Cluster GLMRS rounds fired from a MLRS system would completely devastate an airbase, one salvo of 2km by 100m or however they wish to create the geography (1km by 1 km) will take out the helicopter base there in Berdyansk for example.

One of Ukraine's secret sauce in keeping the HIMARS intact has been to keep them out of Russian artillery range, or if they get into Russian artillery range, they are only there for a short time. Before we see much deployment of HIMARS in the salient, I would expect Ukraine to widen to salient so there is an area in the middle where HIMARS can be outside Russian artillery range.

BTW the USS Gerald Ford arrived in Turkey a few hours ago. The US is showing the flag. Some have said the Ford is flying the flag of Ukraine. It just happens the Ford's pennant uses the same colors as the Ukraine flag:
AV8R Stuff - Military Patches & Emblems