Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will probably see more NATO troops along the border with Russia in the near future.

In the early 1990s, NATO and Russia signed the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe to minimize building up military forces and equipment near mutual borders.

Russia exited the treaty last week so now NATO is doing the same in response.

NATO suspends key Cold War treaty after Russia pulls out – DW – 11/07/2023

NATO has to do something about those T-34s massing along its border (both of them, lol). A single well-planned and executed B-2 Spirit raid would take out 30K troops bivouacked in Eastern Donbas. And the Russian dictator would pretend it didn't happen (for domestic purposes). But can he ignore the results of a 30-day air campaign? 300K? Run out of mobiks?

Russia is not a credible military threat to the West; it's an economic threat. But with decreasing dependance on Russian oil and gas, the West is becoming more resilient to Russian economic sabotage. This is the scenario Western politicians are squirming to avoid (you-broke-it, you bought-it, a.k.a. Marshall Plan II).

NATO has to do something about those T-34s massing along its border (both of them, lol). A single well-planned and executed B-2 Spirit raid would take out 30K troops bivouacked in Eastern Donbas. And the Russian dictator would pretend it didn't happen (for domestic purposes). But can he ignore the results of a 30-day air campaign? 300K? Run out of mobiks?

Russia is not a credible military threat to the West; it's an economic threat. But with decreasing dependance on Russian oil and gas, the West is becoming more resilient to Russian economic sabotage. This is the scenario Western politicians are squirming to avoid (you-broke-it, you bought-it, a.k.a. Marshall Plan II).
Maybe so, but Russia is more than enough threat to the US's interests through it's proxy wars, so we need to keep helping Ukraine hammer away at them.. Russia's an unaceptable political threat to the US.

Last edited:

While they may not have the numbers once they had when the Gulags were in full operation, I'm sure they can find fresh meat supply in their prisons. I also read somewhere the brainiacs from all over the world who went to Russia over the past decade or 2 for work/study in the Great Mother Ruzzia can be enlisted in the cause to spread "Freedom" to the pagan parts of Europe.

While they may not have the numbers once they had when the Gulags were in full operation, I'm sure they can find fresh meat supply in their prisons. I also read somewhere the brainiacs from all over the world who went to Russia over the past decade or 2 for work/study in the Great Mother Ruzzia can be enlisted in the cause to spread "Freedom" to the pagan parts of Europe.

I don't think so, at least not near the magnitude the Soviets could in the 1940s:
  • 300K young professional men fled Russia in 2022 due to the impending round of conscription
  • Wagner cleaned out Russian prisons, and are now a spent force
  • health and demographics are against Russia as the war wears on
  • information is getting in to the average citizen through the internet and numerous VPN products
So far, Putin has carefully avoided sending home mass causualties to his base of support in white Russia. If discontent begins to spread among the general population in Moscow and St. Petersburg, that will be the beginning of the end for Putin. He'd be just a slip on his tea or a stroll past an open window from exiting the stage. There are still a few Oligarchs left who will ease his passing.

Cheers to Oleg!

...] I also read somewhere the brainiacs from all over the world who went to Russia over the past decade or 2 for work/study in the Great Mother Ruzzia can be enlisted in the cause to spread "Freedom" to the pagan parts of Europe.
How might that work?

As long as the Russian Dictator is waging his war in Ukraine, it unfortunately seems to 'work' in Ukraine with or without any 'brainiac' migrants from other countries...

Reactions: navguy12
Phrasing my question a little more precisely, for decades it was standard in the Soviet Union to present very high educational programs to mostly Third World students - curricula which included an unhealthy dollop of political indoctrination in the expectation that the students would disseminate same upon returning home.

Is the practice referred to in @madodel‘s link any different?

Phrasing my question a little more precisely, for decades it was standard in the Soviet Union to present very high educational programs to mostly Third World students - curricula which included an unhealthy dollop of political indoctrination in the expectation that the students would disseminate same upon returning home.

Is the practice referred to in @madodel‘s link any different?
Using foreign sleepers to spread the word of the Ruzzian greatness is one thing, but sending them to near certain death doesn't strike me as the same.

"The US is not pushing Ukraine to peace talks with Russia. We have said repeatedly: nothing should happen about Ukraine without Ukraine. We are not aware of any talks with Ukraine about negotiations," US State Department Spokesperson Vedant Patel said.

The young men of Ukraine aren't gone. They have simply been mobilizing older age groups in order to preserve the future generations of Ukrainians. Typical Sacks trash Russian propaganda.

The delusion I see in this thread of 'bad evil Russia that should be eliminated from the face of the earth', and 'Ukraine is winning the war' is mindboggling.

Lets face it, Russia is a spent force, both militarily and economically and is not a threat. But because this is an existential crisis for them, they will slowly grind and win the war one way or the other, not withstanding all the amazing fighter jets, bombs, tanks and missiles from NATO. Meanwhile China is definitely a threat, but US chest thumpers can't do a thing about that because the Chinese are just too strong to be confronted. Instead all the US does is make weak sissy pronouncements on China's human rights violations. Yes, Chinese are quacking in their boots when UN makes yet another condemnation on human rights.

If there is even a whiff of Russia losing this war, China will join as a proxy shipping arms to Russia. And China has endless supply of arms. Endless.

A strong Russia-China alliance will be formidable than anything NATO can think of. And Vivek Ramaswamy is right on that.