Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were there any legitimate (or strategic) military targets?

Or was this just payback for the Russian military ship that was sunk within the past week?
It is my understanding that the Russians don't 'pay back'. They destroy everything they possibly can as fast as they can regardless of anything else. What Ukraine is doing to Russia has no influence on Putin's fervor to destroy them. For example if he would negotiate a peace deal with Zelenskiy they would continue the current destruction unabated; perhaps a few days of cease fire to re-group and intensify the annihilation.

Yeah we're hurting for artillery shells. We're not an artillery heavy military. But other things, for example, we have 3700 Abrams tanks in storage. I mean we could send Ukraine all those tanks and it probably wouldn't have any impact on our security.

I'm not sure what your disagreement is. Maybe it seems like I'm accusing our allies of not throwing in enough on defense spending. But I'm of the opinion that the US spends way to much on defense.

US law does not allow the armor on the US Abrams to be exported. For Abrams to be exported to another country the armor on all Abrams needs to be replaced. This isn't trivial. New armor for these tanks needs to be made and then the old armor needs to be removed and replaced.

The US could export more Bradleys. I don't know why it hasn't. The Bradley doesn't have great armor, but it's very effective on offense.

Yeah we're hurting for artillery shells. We're not an artillery heavy military. But other things, for example, we have 3700 Abrams tanks in storage. I mean we could send Ukraine all those tanks and it probably wouldn't have any impact on our security.

I'm not sure what your disagreement is. Maybe it seems like I'm accusing our allies of not throwing in enough on defense spending. But I'm of the opinion that the US spends way to much on defense.
Not that I am in favour of using the weapons so much but I do think we need an overwhelming arsenal. There is not enough money in the world to pay the industrial military complex for an overwhelming arsenal. We should exclusively buy from Palmer Luckey until they get the message or more Anduril clones startup. All military personnel should be driving CTs so that we have something to provide the next war in 5 years.
Cybertruck Police, Military etc. fleet orders

I hope so but I'm not holding my breath. Say what you will about the Russian people but they can take an extreme amount of misery and just not do anything about it.
Maybe so, but I don’t exactly believe that. I think they’ve simply run off their Russian people with the sense to leave for stable democracies leaving a bunch of idiots behind. In other words, many of the "Russian people” have left.

Last edited:
It is remarkable that the US is supposedly running low on 155 artillery ammunition, yet Blinken has just approved the sale of almost 150 million $ worth of 155 mm artillery ammunition to Israel. Apparently priorities and the moral evaluation of killing civilians change massively depending on the country you are looking at.

It is remarkable that the US is supposedly running low on 155 artillery ammunition, yet Blinken has just approved the sale of almost 150 million $ worth of 155 mm artillery ammunition to Israel. Apparently priorities and the moral evaluation of killing civilians change massively depending on the country you are looking at.

The US is not running low on 155mm ammunition. It was low on the excess it could give to Ukraine without depleting its readiness reserves. 155mm production has been ramping all year and it hitting its stride just as funding for Ukraine is getting hung up in Congress. At this point the US either needs to find a buyer for the 155mm ammunition currently being produced, or it has to cycle down production again which causes all sorts of logistical problems.

So along came a buyer for the extra ammunition which hopefully will eat up the extra production until Congress can get its act together and approve more funding for Ukraine.

It makes perfect sense if you understand how military procurement works and follow the nuts and bolts of US politics right now. Two things most people don't follow because they are pretty complicated and most people find them boring.

The US is not running low on 155mm ammunition. It was low on the excess it could give to Ukraine without depleting its readiness reserves. 155mm production has been ramping all year and it hitting its stride just as funding for Ukraine is getting hung up in Congress. At this point the US either needs to find a buyer for the 155mm ammunition currently being produced, or it has to cycle down production again which causes all sorts of logistical problems.

So along came a buyer for the extra ammunition which hopefully will eat up the extra production until Congress can get its act together and approve more funding for Ukraine.

It makes perfect sense if you understand how military procurement works and follow the nuts and bolts of US politics right now. Two things most people don't follow because they are pretty complicated and most people find them boring.
Oh, really? That's a very neat and wholesome story. Too neat and wholesome to be altogether credible. It's difficult to square this story with the fact that the US Army has asked Congress just this November to approve more than $ 3 billion for additional shell production capacities and for the purchase of shells to refill depleted stocks. Full production capacity is planned for 2025. That doesn't exactly sound as if the US were desperately looking for buyers of artillery shells right now.
Yet even if your version of events were true, you may take it for granted that the purchase of military hardware by Israel in the US will be fully funded by the US taxpayer. Apparently the US assigns a higher priority to firing artillery shells at civilians in Gaza, rather than to firing them at Russian troops in Ukraine.
Don't have any illusions that this isn't damaging the USA's international reputation.

Just to add you my previous post: It's completely implausible that the US Army had so much surplus stocks of 155 mm shells that it was able to support the Ukrainian war effort without depleting its own essential stocks. No one was prepared for the return of a WWI style artillery war as we see it in Ukraine and NATO had burnt through their Cold War ammunition stocks in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Just to add you my previous post: It's completely implausible that the US Army had so much surplus stocks of 155 mm shells that it was able to support the Ukrainian war effort without depleting its own essential stocks. No one was prepared for the return of a WWI style artillery war as we see it in Ukraine and NATO had burnt through their Cold War ammunition stocks in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Would be nice if Ukraine was armed so it wouldn't need to use trench warfare tactics. F16's are a step in the right direction. AWACS tech next? Ground penetrating radar is really sweet. We have lots of drones and experimental drones we can give Ukraine, would be nice if we did that. Our battle field software is really nice. It is possible to take this battle up to an entirely new level, but Biden is afraid of getting involved. We could offer prisoners the option to join the war.

Reactions: petit_bateau
US law does not allow the armor on the US Abrams to be exported. For Abrams to be exported to another country the armor on all Abrams needs to be replaced. This isn't trivial. New armor for these tanks needs to be made and then the old armor needs to be removed and replaced.

The US could export more Bradleys. I don't know why it hasn't. The Bradley doesn't have great armor, but it's very effective on offense.
It's quite difficult to accept that as a valid excuse. Many countries have sent their latest weapons systems to Ukraine, where they are at risk to be lost to Russian forces or to be exposed to Russian espionage. Yet a run-of-the-mill MBT contains such sensitive technology that it can't be used for the very purpose it was designed for, to fight the Russians in a land war in Europe?

Reactions: DanCar
Allegedly:

Belgorod was shelled by the #Russian Federation's air defense forces. According to preliminary data, they intended to launch S300 missiles at the territory of the Kharkiv region, but expired missiles began to fall on residential areas.

twitter.com/dutchakdev2/status/1741084447884058743?s=20

Allegedly:

Belgorod was shelled by the #Russian Federation's air defense forces. According to preliminary data, they intended to launch S300 missiles at the territory of the Kharkiv region, but expired missiles began to fall on residential areas.

twitter.com/dutchakdev2/status/1741084447884058743?s=20

Don't know if this is video from the same incident or another one. It allegedly shows how one of the Russian Dictator's S-300's misfired and crashes in a Russian residential area instead.

twitter.com/dutchakdev2/status/1741094815729606817?s=20

It's quite difficult to accept that as a valid excuse. Many countries have sent their latest weapons systems to Ukraine, where they are at risk to be lost to Russian forces or to be exposed to Russian espionage. Yet a run-of-the-mill MBT contains such sensitive technology that it can't be used for the very purpose it was designed for, to fight the Russians in a land war in Europe?
Abrams non export armor uses depleted uranium, and there's some law that keeps us from selling tanks with that to anyone. Not sure the specifics of the law, probably not even weapons related directly but due to the nature of it being DU. Clearly we had no problems deploying them overseas when we're operating them in combat, so I don't think this is a fear of captured equipment being reverse engineered concern, but something to do with "nuclear materials"

To export the tanks the armor must be replaced.

Abrams non export armor uses depleted uranium, and there's some law that keeps us from selling tanks with that to anyone. Not sure the specifics of the law, probably not even weapons related directly but due to the nature of it being DU. Clearly we had no problems deploying them overseas when we're operating them in combat, so I don't think this is a fear of captured equipment being reverse engineered concern, but something to do with "nuclear materials"

To export the tanks the armor must be replaced.

I think the concern with exporting the Abrams DU armor isn't so much the threat of it being reverse engineered or it's composition, but rather not wanting hostile forces having the opportunity to find ways to overcome the armor.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
I think the concern with exporting the Abrams DU armor isn't so much the threat of it being reverse engineered or it's composition, but rather not wanting hostile forces having the opportunity to find ways to overcome the armor.
Yes, and therefore we don't give it our ally Ukraine so that they can defeat Putin. I'm of the opinion that the risk vs reward favors letting Ukraine use them at least at a small scale with supervision.

Yes, and therefore we don't give it our ally Ukraine so that they can defeat Putin. I'm of the opinion that the risk vs reward favors letting Ukraine use them at least at a small scale with supervision.

That's just my opinion on the intent of the law. Personally, I think it probably made sense at one time, but that time has gone. In any case, more Abrams for Ukraine would surely be welcomed, but what they really need desperately right now are more air defenses(including aircraft), cruise missiles, and munitions.