Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the irony is that Biden is a big advocate for both electric cars and alternative energy. [...
No he's not, otherwise he wouldn't be discriminating against Tesla who is literally the only western company building BEVs at scale. Biden wanted to kneecap Tesla by giving more IRA incentives to unions, only Manchin's intervention saved Tesla from being discriminated.

Yes he is. Biden is obviously a big advocate for both electric cars and alternative energy. The Biden admin.'s opposition towards Tesla is most likely because of Tesla's opposition against unions. If Tesla really was neutral on the issue of unions, then there wouldn't be any opposition towards Tesla from the the Biden administration.

Funnily enough, this was done in 2020 by some "hooligans", our foreign minister condemned the heinous act (lol), and Russian propaganda shows threatened nuclear strikes.
Devious minds think alike.

On the other hand, it gives Tallinn a terrific out: "Out of an overabundance of caution, we removed the temptation of provoking Moscow as had happened in 2020".

Devious minds redux.

According to the new Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief, Ukrainian losses are 1:7 or 1:8 compared to the Russian Dictator's losses. So in other words not at all what was spouted on that group phone call with David Sacks and Ramaswamy on Elon's X platform.

Ukraine has moved to a new stage of the war: a defensive operation instead of an offensive, - Syrskyi gave his first interview as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

More statements:
In 2014, I understood that the war between Ukraine and the Russian Federation would be long-lasting.
Russian losses are 7-8 times greater than Ukrainian losses.
The life of a soldier is the main value. Ready to retreat from some position than to sacrifice all personnel.
We must end the war by going to our borders. Other options are not considered, because we simply have no other way out.
[My underline.]

twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1757447106518745397?s=20

TL;DR Biden got us the IRA; therefore, Biden is not anti-Tesla.

detail:

I do find it instructive that so many comments here paint the Biden admin as anti-Tesla. I could have agreed with that before the IRA happened, since everything was lip service / words to that point, and yes, Tesla (which did not need gov't help) never got mentioned, while GM (which did need gov't help) did get mentioned. A lot. So sure, I was butt-hurt that the best company out there got no lip service.
But...
Against my previous 30 years of carefully watching our government both subtly ("all of the above" energy policy, slow and watered-down EPA requirements, loopholes for SUVs...) and overtly (Iraq war and many other things) always and forever take the side of giving ever more concessions to the fossil fuel industry at the expense of: the environment, basic fairness, water toxicity, individual's private property, our actual future, non-commercial control of government, etc., I find it truly disheartening that the first administration to take actual action against the FF interests, action that puts millions upon millions of actual taxpayer dollars into Tesla's pockets, is touted as "anti-Tesla". That is, when measured against the past "drill baby drill" 8+? decades, illogical and ahistorical.
Am I not the only one that remembers the US government always and forever supporting FF's?
And now they are putting millions into the hands of Tesla, but they are"anti-Tesla"? Money talks. Look at what the pols "do", not what they "say". Or fail to say. What they "did" is give massive incentives and subsidies to Tesla for batteries and cars.
Do we not see how giant a step it is that, at least for one significant and for once well-targeted Act, the Feds took the anti-fossil side? And we want to throw them out because politicians didn't ... quite ... mouth all the words right? Really? Have we even actually listened to the undisputed leader on other side of the aisle and what he would do to the EPA immediately (he has publicly stated this), much less the remaining Executive Branch agencies? He might not be able to repeal the IRA, but then again he might given the 2024 Senate "in play" map, but even without Congress certainly the Executive agencies that administer the IRA could grind it down to nearly a halt. Given the legislation he got passed while in office last time allowing far easier firing of federal employees--legislation he has promised to invoke to clear out all opposition, he could definitely do this.
I think a sense of proportion could be invoked here. Money talks, and for once SOME of it is flowing in the right direction. In fact, enough to matter a good deal. (And, since it seems to matter to some of us so much, yes, they do actually say "Tesla" out loud now and have for several years.)

According to the new Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief, Ukrainian losses are 1:7 or 1:8 compared to the Russian Dictator's losses. So in other words not at all what was spouted on that group phone call with David Sacks and Ramaswamy on Elon's X platform.

Ukraine has moved to a new stage of the war: a defensive operation instead of an offensive, - Syrskyi gave his first interview as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

More statements:
In 2014, I understood that the war between Ukraine and the Russian Federation would be long-lasting.
Russian losses are 7-8 times greater than Ukrainian losses.
The life of a soldier is the main value. Ready to retreat from some position than to sacrifice all personnel.
We must end the war by going to our borders. Other options are not considered, because we simply have no other way out.
[My underline.]

twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1757447106518745397?s=20

I the US bill passes the house and Ukraine get the support they need, I like to think they have credible path to victory.

1. Slowly reduce the Russian assets.
  2. Building up assets and man power ready for future offense.
  3. Diminish Russian production and logistics - slow down the rate at which new assets can arrive.
  4. Develop the tools and the technological edge to make offense viable,

4. Could be drones, wheeled drones, anti-done weapons, aircraft, long range missiles etc.

For now, the biggest problems for anyone attacking seems to be enemy drones and strong fortified positions.

If a fairly negotiated peace can occur before Ukraine launches the offense that is even better. That is more likely to occur when Russia realises that Ukraine has fully achieved the list above.

If Elon wants to end the war quickly, then supporting aid and donations to Ukraine is the best path.

It is hard to tell Elon he is wrong, the best approach is to give him all of the evidence, and back him to to eventually change his mind. Public criticism tends to make him dig in, I suspect private criticism is different.

Meanwhile, younger Russians seem more rational, thoughtful, and empathetic.
Yeah, those are the 300K young men that fled Russia in 2022 during the 1st round draft.

There is a lasting peace to be had with Russia once their close minded hateful elders are gone.
The 'old hate' will outlive any 'new peace'. The solution has to be about Regime Change, but nobody in the West will face that fact. Fear chumps you up.

Speaking of lasting solutions, my hope for Russia is based on interviews I've seen. While it is still somewhat anecdotal, it seems the older Russians represent the emperialist conquerors who think all others should bow down before their greatness or die. Meanwhile, younger Russians seem more rational, thoughtful, and empathetic. There is a lasting peace to be had with Russia once their close minded hateful elders are gone.
I hope you are right but those old Russians were once young Russians. Russia always seems to like or at least be indifferent to sociopathic strongmen who kill more Russians than anyone else does. Sad how much of the rest of the world seems to be headed in that direction as well.

I support the sentiment, but the realities of a Russian break up would be way more complicated. Due to centuries of russification most of the regions are by now majority ethnic Russian, and the voiceless people have been denied any autonomy based on national identity.

Vlad Vexler does a decent job of explaining this here.

I think Vexler is a bit too pessimistic here, maybe it's because of his russian upbringing. My optimistic view is that the majority of people deep in their hearts want peace. Also all people want Kremlin to stop stealing from them and enslaving them. Basically what needs to happen is for the rest of the country to disown The Kremlin and the rest of the country could be "quite peaceful", and then it could proceed organizing as they whish, "increasing local governance", as Vexler gave examples how they have already called for. Then Kremlin could have a choice, join the new "United Nations of Russia" as an equal partner, or stay out, but in both cases lose its control over the other regions and ability to expoit their natural resources. I agree that the decolonization must come from inside, not outside, since "easy come, easy go" would be the result of an externally arranged decolonization. Time will tell.

Add his girlfriend dumping him.

BTW, the Democrats are one step closer to helping Ukraine. The special election for NY-3 went for the Democrat Tom Souzzi. With 93% in Souzzi is up 53.9% to 46.1%. The race was called some time ago. What's telling is that Souzzi was up by 1 in the latest poll, but it looks like the final result is going to be around an 8 point win. Another example that the polls are wrong. Very consistently Democrats are beating the polls by an average of about 9 points.
This may be an ongoing trend where the polls do not properly reflect the voters, and I think it's at least partially backlash against Trump-like politics that some conservatives do not like, and anti-Ukraine is a part of that. There's a block of voters swinging D as a result, and that block generally doesn't participate in polls. Republicans need to return to positive attitudes and positive politics to win that block back.

It's legal language. NHTSA is legally allowed to issue safety recalls, not OTA safety not-a-recalls.

If it's required, it's a recall.

Get over it.
Those who are philologists never will nor ever should get over those in power using or misusing poor, sloppy, ambiguous, misleading or lopsidedly unfair language. Whether or not it is true that “NHTSA is legally allowed to issue safety recalls” is not the point. What is the point is that as an arm of the enforcement process of a government, it is their responsibility to use clear and unambiguous language. In other, far cruder words:
Get over it.