Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_2001.jpeg

If Johnson's lend lease plan to Ukraine makes it through, then a big advantage for Ukraine might be no limitations on how the weapons are used.

Quote:
Speaker Mike Johnson told POLITICO that he expects to pass a future Ukraine assistance bill with Democratic votes, an acknowledgment of the persistent resistance to any new aid within the GOP.

Last edited:
We've heard this before. Because of the Ukraine war everyone is trying to increase shell production.
Quote:
The European Union has named a host of local ammunition firms it will supply with more than half a billion euros, or almost $560 million, in combined funding to help them beef up production in a bid to push the bloc’s annual output of shells to two million a year by the end of 2025.

No doubt about that. Additionally, Ukraine is certainly being provided with a large amount of very high resolution, real time satellite imagery of Russian military activities.

Satellite data is good for information that doesn't change rapidly like the situation in the various storage depots. OSINT data on those depots is showing that Russia has drawn down those depots a lot. One estimate I saw said that the depots will be mostly empty of anything that can be used by the summer.

Actual real time data is coming from the AWACS circling over the Black Sea. Those feed the Ukrainians with real time data on aircraft and vehicle movement on the Russian side. I think it's that data that has allowed the Ukrainians to take out a number of Russian ground attack aircraft in the last month.

Drone evolution is paralleling aircraft developments in WW I. First planes were just used for observation, then the crews started carrying hand guns to shoot at one another and small bombs like hand grenades to drop on enemy positions. Then dedicated fighters and bombers started to evolve. Ad hoc bomber drones evolved early in this war, but drones to combat other drones are slow to evolve. One of the problems is probably recoil from putting a gun on a drone. A small drone has the advantage of being harder to spot than a manned aircraft, but the downside is that the recoil from any kind of gun is going to disturb its flight a lot more than a manned aircraft.

Quad copters are especially fragile and it doesn't take much to make them unstable. Drones that are basically mini-conventional aircraft like the Orlan is somewhat more difficult, but a drone hunting them could be a conventional aircraft style too. Those are a bit larger and could carry a gun. Drones don't have defensive armament yet, so the first generation drone fighter could get very close before firing its weapon.

The "make it happen" attitude of the Czechs is good to see. They are helping Ukraine hang in there.

At 10K shells fired a day, 1.5 million is 150 days supply. That should last Ukraine through the summer, especially if they conserve shells. During that time there will be some supply coming in from newly manufactured European stock.

Satellite data is good for information that doesn't change rapidly like the situation in the various storage depots. OSINT data on those depots is showing that Russia has drawn down those depots a lot. One estimate I saw said that the depots will be mostly empty of anything that can be used by the summer.

Actual real time data is coming from the AWACS circling over the Black Sea. Those feed the Ukrainians with real time data on aircraft and vehicle movement on the Russian side. I think it's that data that has allowed the Ukrainians to take out a number of Russian ground attack aircraft in the last month.

Drone evolution is paralleling aircraft developments in WW I. First planes were just used for observation, then the crews started carrying hand guns to shoot at one another and small bombs like hand grenades to drop on enemy positions. Then dedicated fighters and bombers started to evolve. Ad hoc bomber drones evolved early in this war, but drones to combat other drones are slow to evolve. One of the problems is probably recoil from putting a gun on a drone. A small drone has the advantage of being harder to spot than a manned aircraft, but the downside is that the recoil from any kind of gun is going to disturb its flight a lot more than a manned aircraft.

Quad copters are especially fragile and it doesn't take much to make them unstable. Drones that are basically mini-conventional aircraft like the Orlan is somewhat more difficult, but a drone hunting them could be a conventional aircraft style too. Those are a bit larger and could carry a gun. Drones don't have defensive armament yet, so the first generation drone fighter could get very close before firing its weapon.

The "make it happen" attitude of the Czechs is good to see. They are helping Ukraine hang in there.

At 10K shells fired a day, 1.5 million is 150 days supply. That should last Ukraine through the summer, especially if they conserve shells. During that time there will be some supply coming in from newly manufactured European stock.
In this modern era of satellite constellations and AI, the amount of observations that can be done via satellite is staggering. Assets like AWACS aircraft and drones also play key roles in observing the battlefield. Satellite images were probably the key intelligence that lead to the drone attack on the Russian A-50 repair facility recently.

In this modern era of satellite constellations and AI, the amount of observations that can be done via satellite is staggering. Assets like AWACS aircraft and drones also play key roles in observing the battlefield. Satellite images were probably the key intelligence that lead to the drone attack on the Russian A-50 repair facility recently.

Satellites are good for near real time, ie data about an hour old, but they are not useful for tracking a ship underway or a plane in flight. If a satellite captures a plane undergoing maintenance, it will probably be there for at least a few hours and probably a day or two.

AWACS are good for tracking moving things.

Moldova (or Ukraine) should do more of these false flags in Transnistria /s

Russia has done some nutty things in this war. Trying to start a war with Moldova seems pretty dumb to me. Transnistria has a very small force that is isolated from other Russian forces. If Moldova and Transnistria go to war, Moldova doesn't have the forces to take out Transnistria, but all Ukraine needs to do is join Moldova in the war. It wouldn't take much effort for the Ukrainian army to overrun Transnistria in a fairly short order. It benefits Ukraine because it eliminates a potential problem on the western border and they can comb the big warehouse in Transnistria for arms to help their war effort.
---
Perun's video this week is on the collapse to Russia's export market for weapons. The problem isn't going to hurt them short term, but once the war is over, they are in serious trouble

In peacetime the Russian military is supported with exports of military equipment. With that market gone, Russia will not be able to develop new technologies and they will fall behind a world that is rapidly moving forward with new technologies.

Moldova doesn't have the forces to take out Transnistria, but all Ukraine needs to do is join Moldova in the war. It wouldn't take much effort for the Ukrainian army to overrun Transnistria in a fairly short order. It benefits Ukraine because it eliminates a potential problem on the western border and they can comb the big warehouse in Transnistria for arms to help their war effort. [...

It would of course be nice if UKR could get their hands on the Russian Dictator's warehouse in Moldova, but I'm guessing that the Dictator's minions there are under orders to blow that warehouse if they would risk loosing control over it.

It would of course be nice if UKR could get their hands on the Russian Dictator's warehouse in Moldova, but I'm guessing that the Dictator's minions there are under orders to blow that warehouse if they would risk loosing control over it.

Probably.

I would expect the Russian garrison in Transnistria is pretty demoralized. Before the war Russia rotated them out every few months, but since the war started they have been stuck there. Demoralized troops can be poor at following orders.

Probably.

I would expect the Russian garrison in Transnistria is pretty demoralized. Before the war Russia rotated them out every few months, but since the war started they have been stuck there. Demoralized troops can be poor at following orders.
“pretty demoralized”

Given the meat grinder aspect of this war I’d suggest that these are very happy troops that are staying in place.

On combatting drones:
This may sound 1950 trash scifi-ish and perhaps it is, but aren’t drones inherently vulnerable to electromagnetic interference? Some kind of pulsed Zzzzzaapppp emanating from, perhaps, a capacitor-based discharger, or a klystron (Poll: how many of you ever have heard of those, let alone familiar with them🤓)?

On combatting drones:
This may sound 1950 trash scifi-ish and perhaps it is, but aren’t drones inherently vulnerable to electromagnetic interference? Some kind of pulsed Zzzzzaapppp emanating from, perhaps, a capacitor-based discharger, or a klystron (Poll: how many of you ever have heard of those, let alone familiar with them🤓)?
I've heard of them but not all that familiar with them. I think the problem is that they are broad spectrum and might wipe out your drones and other electronics as well as their drones. Also I believe they suffer from inverse square, so there is a range limit. (Dirigibles worked well in WWI until planes were able to reach high altitudes.)