Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure ISIS is not happy with Russia since they have been helping Syria, but that's a bold move to pull off an attack in Moscow.
Hamas months ago purposefully stepped into a delicate geostrategic balance/shift to disrupt it. Now ISIS in Russia - this one does not appear so far to break anything that was not already broken.

First, I appreciate the insight and opinion into what is happening in your country. Encouraging for sure.

But Ukraine (and the world) need to prepare for the worst case scenario. The possible (and probable by polls) future president is a huge admirer of aotocratic leaders in dictatorships around the world, and it appears the US public (by polls) support this. There is no reason to believe he won’t align the US and its military with Russia, Belarus and North Korea if it means he can have his own military parade. Ukraine, Europe and NATO need to prepare for this. Unlike what happened when all the same signals were coming out of Germany in the 30’s.

Again the world would be crazy to dismiss this clearly developing movement in the US towards an autocratic government.

Jmho.

If I was Canada I would be nervous. From what I've heard about Canadian politics it sounds like Pierre Poilievre has been learning from the Americans. The American right has some popularity in the prairie provinces.

The US does have an autocratic movement and it has a lot of people concerned. However there is also a very strong pro-democracy movement that is not taking the fight for granted. The pro-democracy movement has some of the most conservative voices pre-Trump joining forces with the Democrats. Most Americans are not paying attention, though as people are educated about the autocracy movement they tend to move towards the pro-democracy camp. Most of those people who are not paying attention will start to pay attention around late summer and most will be tuned into what's going on by October.

Most other democracies have short campaign seasons mandated by law, so it gets intense, but it's over quickly. Everyone tends to tune in at once, and then tunes out when it's over. The US has campaigns that pretty much never end now. A small population of civics geeks watch what's going on during those times while the rest of the country does everything it can to ignore politics. The civics geeks are the ones making the polls right now and most of the people they are talking to don't really care, but feel it's their civic duty to answer the poll. The few polls that ask how tuned in people are show only about 20% of Americans know much of what's going on at this point.

Hamas months ago purposefully stepped into a delicate geostrategic balance/shift to disrupt it. Now ISIS in Russia - this one does not appear so far to break anything that was not already broken.

According to something my partner saw an hour ago, the US is saying that they got wind of the attack, though they didn't know where it was going to happen and they tried to warn Russia. Putin thought it was disinformation and ignored it. A notice went out to the US embassy and consulates in Russia to avoid public places and generally lay low for about 48 hours.

So the US can say, "we tried to be nice..."

What I find very strange about the attack in Moscow is how it was accomplished. Assuming for the sake of argument it is ISIS, how did they manage to pull this off. Moscow got the be one of the most survaelled (spelling?) cities in the world. With the entire security appartus of the Russian state looking for riots, Ukranian saboteurs and generic dicontent, how did these 5 guys manage to sneak under the radar? They should have caught them long time ago?

Assuming this is not actually the FSB doing a false flag operation? If it is not I would be scared about a few well organized rioters that are willing to run up a big police body count, that could do some serious damage.

I found the whole thing very strange?

The ISIS sub-group that claimed responsibility was ISIS-K (Islamic State affiliate in Khorasan) - this is apparently an old term for the region that includes parts of Iran, Turkmenistan and Afghanistan. Apparently ISIS-K has a particular axe to grind against Putin and accuses him of atrocities against Muslim people in military campaigns in Chechnya and Syria, as well as in the Soviet-era invasion of Afghanistan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-68642036?src_origin=BBCS_BBC

Kamil Galeev claims some patterns with the attack are similar to some suspicious attacks in 1999, which appeared to be false flag operations
Thread by @kamilkazani on Thread Reader App
Galeev is probably uncomfortable acknowledging that radical islamists committed the terrorist attack in Moscow. It's plainly evident to all that is what transpired. Not a false flag, but Putin and crew are doing their best to spin it as a conspiracy with roots in Ukraine.

22 MARCH 2024, 15:25

Mykhailo Podoliak, adviser to the Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, denies that Washington demands that Ukraine stop attacks on Russia's oil infrastructure. [My u.] [...

22 MARCH 2024, 15:25

Mykhailo Podoliak, adviser to the Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, denies that Washington demands that Ukraine stop attacks on Russia's oil infrastructure. [My u.] [...

Same: