Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody actually believe these were the guys responsible?

Its all about as credible as that bear in the old joke about russians. KGB are told to find a rabbit, after 20min torture they have a bear who has confessed to being a rabbit.
Or after much more than 20 minutes of torture they have four gunmen who wish the hell they had blown themselves up. I understand the skepticism, though.

The pessimistic view is that he knows that the concept of a loan won't be acceptable to the Senate, so the whole thing will fall apart, further delaying aid.

The optimistic view is the he knows that the Senate's version of any aid bill will be structured as traditional aid, and that the House will eventually have to accept that version. He talks about a loan now, as that makes it easier to keep the conservative wing of the GOP in the House quiet

Given his history on this issue, and Russian financed political contributions, I'm tending towards the pessimistic view

The Democrats are turning up the heat on Johnson. There is a motion to kick him out that has been put forward. The Democrats all voted to oust Kevin McCarthy and they are holding that over Johnson's head. If he makes sure a Ukraine aid bill gets a vote, they won't vote to kick him out. So his job as Speaker hangs in the balance.

As far as the loan instead of straight up aid goes, the Senate will probably go along with it because it's what Johnson will agree to. Next year the US can always forgive the loans.

The key issue is to start the air flowing to Ukraine again.

Not only is the folly in Ukraine reducing living standards, and costing many Russian lives, it seems to be impacting on the ability of the Russian state to protect its own citizens within Russia.
Like most autocracies, Russia has very little interest in protecting its own citizens. They just need to not revolt. Professor Timothy Snyder, who studies autocracy, puts it best: (emphasis mine)
People reasonably ask how a terror attack could succeed in Russia, which is a police state. Regimes like Russia's devote their energy to defining and combating fake threats. When a real threat emerges, the fake threats must be emphasized. Predictably (and as predicted), Putin sought to blame Ukraine for Crocus City Hall.

In moments of stress, Russian propaganda tries out various ways to spin the story in the direction preferred by the Kremlin. The reputed suspects are being tortured, presumably with the goal of "finding" some connection to Ukraine. The Kremlin has instructed Russian media to emphasize any possible Ukrainian elements in the story. Russian television propaganda published a fake video implicating a Ukrainian official. The idea is to release a junk into the media, including the international media, and to see if anything works.
I find his research on autocrats, their utter uselessness to their populations (the trains actually do NOT run on time - although they DO enrich the 'right people'), and the US's seeming flirtation with such leaders in the present time, quite on point.

Full link to the article

It has been said here before, but bears repeating: a lot of the reason Ukraine is able to stand firm is that autocratic Russia is so corrupt.

Allegedly:

/1. Yesterday, Russian media reported that Russian reconnaissance ship "Ivan Hurs" was attacked, the ship was allegedly not damaged, and all the naval drones were destroyed. Today, a video appeared showing how one of the drones reaches the target [...

twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1661724958236499970?s=20

France might requisition arms producers to speed up production to help Ukraine

[...] PARIS, March 26 (Reuters) - French Defence Minister Sebastien Lecornu said on Tuesday he was prepared to use his powers to requisition industrial capacities or impose priorities to weapon makers to speed up production of arms and shells needed on the battlefield in Ukraine and elsewhere.

"These questions ... are clearly on the table", Lecornu told a news conference, adding stocks and production lines were particularly strained with regard to anti-air missiles and artillery shells.

Lecornu said he could requisition stocks or tell companies to give priority to certain orders, citing Aster missiles produced by MBDA as a potential case for such a move. [...

‘Give us the [self-censored] Patriots’ — Ukraine needs air defenses now, minister says

In a POLITICO interview, Ukraine’s chief diplomat Dmytro Kuleba delivers some blunt messages to Kyiv’s allies.

MARCH 25, 2024 9:00 PM CET

[...] “If we had enough air defense systems, namely Patriots, we would be able to protect not only the lives of our people, but also our economy from destruction,” he added. [...

Source:
TMC rules most likely prevents me from providing a URL. But the article will be the top search result if you punch this into Google:

"Ukraine needs air defenses now, minister says" politico

Last edited:
Update from Elon - inline with my thinking. This would likely involve increased spending (with strings) that would aid bargaining power.

"Just that funding should be contingent on proper accounting of how it is used [...]"

Seems like malarkey to me. We are not actually sending money to Ukraine. We are sending them weapons directly. So accounting for how the funding gets used is almost entirely on us. And AFAIK, accounting is already in place in Ukraine to make sure weapons are going where they are supposed to go. Will Ukraine 100% eliminate all corruptions? No, of course not. No country ever has and no country ever will. If Elon wants to make aid to Ukraine contingent on them eliminating all corruption then he should just be honest and say he is against the US helping Ukraine.

Theses comments also give cover to people who want to block aid to Ukraine at all costs. We have a problem in our country right now that a small minority are blocking the will of the large majority regarding aid to Ukraine, Israel, and Gaza, and fixing the problems on our own border. IMO it is shameful to use misleading malarkey like this to give cover to those who are working against the best interests of the US and against the will of the majority of Americans.

Last edited:
"Just that funding should be contingent on proper accounting of how it is used [...]"

Seems like malarkey to me. We are not actually sending money to Ukraine. We are sending them weapons directly. So accounting for how the funding gets used is almost entirely on us. And AFAIK, accounting is already in place in Ukraine to make sure weapons are going where they are supposed to go. Will Ukraine 100% eliminate all corruptions? No, of course not. No country ever has and no country ever will. If Elon wants to make aid to Ukraine contingent on them eliminating all corruption then he should just be honest and say he is against the US helping Ukraine.

Theses comments also give cover to people who want to block aid to Ukraine at all costs. We have a problem in our country right now that a small minority are blocking the will of the large majority regarding aid to Ukraine, Israel, and Gaza, and fixing the problems on our own border. IMO it is shameful to use misleading malarkey like this to give cover to those who are working against the best interests of the US and against the will of the majority of Americans.
You are correct. All US foreign aid is subject to oversight, lots of it. You are also correct that 80-90% (range of estimates I've read) of the Ukraine aid is spent in the USA, under regular oversight, creating American defense jobs or buying new equipment to backfill what we sent to Ukraine.
Elon is amplifying a crucial Russian disinformation point, long ago clearly debunked by many including the ISW.
The ISW argue convincingly that the ONLY path to victory for Russia is confusing us with false narratives like this. Our collective Western economies dwarf Russia and its allies. Given that this is now a war of attrition, that should be conclusive to loss for Russia... unless they convince us to stop helping Ukraine. This is their only real play, and their disinformation folks know it and are hard at work, with a lot of recent success around here.
Excellent piece on this at ISW today. Lots of clear points, detail, and even some charts.

Here's how to fix the Kerch Bridge problem /s

My thoughts on hearing of the accident were similar. That bridge is a major artery in the Washington DC area. It being out is going to cause a lot of headaches.

I was about to say something similar. People seem to think the US is sending piles of cash to Ukraine or something. Almost all the money spent giving aid to Ukraine is spent in the United States employing Americans to make these things. The rest is spent transporting it to Ukraine and training Ukrainians to use it.

Not only was the aid given with the contingency that Ukraine ensure it's being used as intended, but Ukraine's government has a huge built in incentive to use it as intended. They are fighting a war and have zero interest in any of these weapons being used to do anything but fight the Russians.

Some Russian surrogates have claimed that these weapons are being sold on the black market, though there is zero evidence for this. On the other hand there is abundant evidence that weapons sent to Ukraine are hurting Russians.

I think Musk, Ramaswamy, and others like them have been co-opted by Russian intelligence to do their bidding. Some are willing participants, others are convenient idiots who don't realize they are being used. I think Musk is probably among the latter, but Ramaswamy appears to be among the former.

Here's how to fix the Kerch Bridge problem /s

My understanding from some of the Denys Davydov YouTubes is that Russia is working fast to build a rail line from their main hub at Rostov all the way over land ending (near or into?) Crimea. This would circumvent the choke point of the Kerch bridge, and be largely out of range of Ukranian attacks without significant Ukrainian advances - and of course, right now, due to lack of resources (thank you so much for this again (/s), Speaker Johnson), Ukraine is actually giving ground, not taking it.
The completion of this rail line, and the additional heft it will give to Russian logistics, together sound like a huge problem. And yes, although you can strike a rail line with long range missiles, my understanding is the easy repairability makes it a poor choice for those limited, expensive weapons. You really need to get within artillery range to shut such a thing down effectively, I'm supposing?
Curious what our other informed voices have heard or think about this?

The Democrats are turning up the heat on Johnson. There is a motion to kick him out that has been put forward. The Democrats all voted to oust Kevin McCarthy and they are holding that over Johnson's head. If he makes sure a Ukraine aid bill gets a vote, they won't vote to kick him out. So his job as Speaker hangs in the balance.
This makes no sense. There is no vote scheduled, nor will there be until after Johnson allows a vote on Ukraine aid. The Democrats have no way to "turn up the heat" via motion to vacate. They have a carrot ("if it happens we'll vote to keep you"), but no stick.

Don't think this has been posted:

Investigation: China's Hikvision, Dahua Security Cameras Heighten Risks Of Russian Attacks On Ukraine

February 08, 2024 14:18 GMT

[...] When Russian missiles struck Kyiv in a January 2 attack that killed at least three people, two ordinary outdoor CCTV cameras – one for a condominium, the other for a parking lot -- helped guide their way, the State Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) claims. [My u.] [...

A sign that the Russian Dictator is running low on armored vehicles?

The Dictator is allegedly down to 4/5 of these...

Out of all the vehicles that have been pulled out of storage and used by Russia in this war, this is one that was really at the bottom of my list to even see in theatre, never mind be destroyed.

The video shows what appears to be a Ladoga protected command vehicle, I won’t talk too much about it here as I made a whole post on the vehicle, so check below for the full info on it, in short it was designed to move senior Kremlin staff around under safety in the event of a nuclear attack, it was trialled in 1986 at the Chernobyl NPP.

twitter.com/AFVRec_/status/1772732087616835789?s=20

This makes no sense. There is no vote scheduled, nor will there be until after Johnson allows a vote on Ukraine aid. The Democrats have no way to "turn up the heat" via motion to vacate. They have a carrot ("if it happens we'll vote to keep you"), but no stick.
The motion to vacate was submitted under regular order and not privileged so it requires going through committees where it will die. It was just a warning what some of his caucus will do. The Democrats have nothing to do with this at this point. It's theater.

Russia has increased gasoline imports from neighbouring Belarus in March to tackle the risk of shortages in its domestic market because of unscheduled repairs at Russian refineries after drone attacks, four industry and trade sources said on Wednesday.
Usually Russia is a net exporter of fuel and a supplier to international markets, but the disruption of Russian refining has forced oil companies to import.