Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RUST

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think i'm cursed.
This is more of a PSA than anything, noticed some discoloration on my paint after washing this weekend. After trying to wipe it off, I realized it was not coming off and it was RUST eating through the paint from under. March2018 build. i live in socal. Some places are more noticeable than others but i'm sure it'll be more visible with more time. Rust cannot be fixed, unless ALL of it is removed from the car(the red plague =/ ). I am awaiting resolution from Tesla.

Attachments

• RUST DS REAR DOOR HINGE.jpg
    RUST DS REAR DOOR HINGE.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 540
  • RUST DS REAR DOOR JAMB.jpg
    RUST DS REAR DOOR JAMB.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 372
  • RUST DS REAR DOOR.jpg
    RUST DS REAR DOOR.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 357
  • RUST PS REAR DOOR HINGE.jpg
    RUST PS REAR DOOR HINGE.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 329
  • RUST PS REAR DOOR JAMB.jpg
    RUST PS REAR DOOR JAMB.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 351
  • RUST PS REAR DOOR.jpg
    RUST PS REAR DOOR.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
Guess the steel hinges getting a bit rusty isn’t a surprise. It’s a heavy chunk of steel, not likely to perforate.

But some of your photos look like body panels. That makes me a bit curious. How do you think the aluminum body panels are rusting? Do you think they are steel?

Reactions: Jan Fiala
I honestly have no clue what is steel and what is aluminum, and by no means am i an expert at any of this. So if theres a better explanation about what is happening here, that would make me feel a lot better about my situation.

Could be rail dust or other external contaminates. A clay bar or iron remover (for auto paint) will likely take care of those spots. You are much more likely to see such marks on a white car even though they are on just about every one.

The door is definitely alum. The hinges are not. The hinge rust is probably rust, but the door jamb stuff is iron oxidiation that has settled onto the clear coat. Get some iron remover from a detail shop or a car parts store and give it a try, you should be able to resolve it on your own for like 15 bucks.

Reactions: JohnnyG
that makes a lot of sense, i'm still going to bring it in and let them evaluate it. if they come to the same conclusion i'll definitely feel relieved that i am not cursed when it comes to this car.
long story short, I've had the car for 4 weeks in my possession, tesla had it for 5 weeks.
thanks for your input, much appreciated!