Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD 1st Snow Driving Experience with All Season Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving through a couple inches of heavy snow in Boston last night, I definitely felt the RWD wheels slip frequently with the stock tires. Don't remember this much of an issue with my FWD Jetta that I was using Conti DWS06 with. Might have to suck it up and get snow tires.

Maybe it's my European upbringing speaking here, but how do you live in Boston and not buy winter tires? I live in Utah, I would terrified to drive without snow tires in the winter.

Maybe it's my European upbringing speaking here, but how do you live in Boston and not buy winter tires? I live in Utah, I would terrified to drive without snow tires in the winter.

Drive slower.

This is my first winter with winter tires (on the S but not the 3). The winter tires absolutely perform much better than the old AS. I'll likely put winters on the 3 next season because it really does make driving easier. But I've also driven 18 years in Boston without winter tires with no issues, so it definitely can be done.

At delivery I asked the Tesla rep if I should get winter tires. He said it really comes down to driver comfort and skill.

LR RWD 18 inch MXM4.

Just recently got to test the MXM4 in icy conditions in the area, between 10-20 degrees F at 3AM. Not much in the way of snow, but could definitely see icy spots. I went the speed limit without issue. Lane changes were fine. I just slowed down when cars were around. No substitute for careful driving.

I did so some sudden acceleration and sudden stopping to get a feel for the car. Snow tires would most likely help, but would be the first time I ever bought them. IMO, Model 3 manages fine without, if one just takes care while driving.

Well, it's flatter in Boston, for one. I guess if you have zero hills and don't care about being able to stop in an emergency, good luck on your all-seasons.

Coming back from the mountains a couple weekends ago, I saw what you'll typically see when it's actually slippery with actual topography... a Tahoe on M+S tires. Came to a stop. Started sliding sideways *after* it stopped. I've encountered the same thing on A/S tires before too.

I was driving a borrowed Outback on A/S and had juuuuust enough grip to not crash. In that instance. Some of it was luck. I sure missed the Xice3 on my Golf (sold to buy the 3, so I don't have a proper winter car at the moment).

I sure wouldn't live somewhere cold and skimp on tires. Even living in the bay area I bought snows for my other car, just for mountain trips. it's worth it.

LR RWD 18 inch MXM4.

Just recently got to test the MXM4 in icy conditions in the area, between 10-20 degrees F at 3AM. Not much in the way of snow, but could definitely see icy spots. I went the speed limit without issue. Lane changes were fine. I just slowed down when cars were around. No substitute for careful driving.

I did so some sudden acceleration and sudden stopping to get a feel for the car. Snow tires would most likely help, but would be the first time I ever bought them. IMO, Model 3 manages fine without, if one just takes care while driving.

I agree, I have been pleasantly surprised with how well the MXM4 tires handle the weather, especially given how poorly they are rated. the weight of the car is definitely a factor here. My winter plans were originally to just take my wife's car on the nasty days, but I had no choice to drive mine the past couple of days here in Ohio and it handled it like a champ. Theres no doubt that winter tires wouldn't be superior, but it just isn't worth the money for the number of days that we truly have winter weather and the added flexibility that I have to be able to use my wifes car if needed.

I have to reiterate the point I made earlier in this thread...not all winter climates are the same. A/S tires can be serviceable if you are comfortable with winter driving and understand their limits. Winter tires will absolutely be better, but A/S are fine in milder winter climates.

I think my plan for next year (assuming these OEM tires will need replaced) is to get a more aggressive a/s tire like the Vredestein Quatrac 5. I already feel fairly comfortable with the cars abilities in my region, and it should be even better with these tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...utoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel Drive