Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD Appreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you a pleb who's scared of American muscle being delivered through two rear drive wheels? Do you suckle on the teat of mother AWD unit, who graciously makes sure her little boy doesn't encounter driving destruction? Then sure, go for AWD.

That's right. Only real american cars have no traction control, no useless safety features ( we are all already dead anyway) and 700 hp going straight to the rear wheels. And best 0 to 60 taking off in 3rd gear. :) Not naming any cars here.

Anyone else noticed that the regenerative braking is MUCH smoother with yesterday's update? I feel like they've meshed chill-mode's regen but with full regen and standard acceleration. I'm lov'n it!

I updated to 42.3 this past Friday evening. Next day I awoke to a LR RWD that suddenly felt much "punchier" through the entire band of the accelerator pedal than previously. Regen was smoother. Wh/mile also seemed improved.

Until I initiated the EAP trial. Seems that Wh/mile goes up when EAP is on, and perhaps because more battery energy is being used to operate the system. But it's early yet. I'm still "meh" about EAP, as I find the need to nudge the wheel now and then kind of annoying. It also takes some of the fun out of driving the car for me as well. I can certainly see EAP's value on long road trips, however. Heavy traffic...somewhat. Main thing is I don't have $5.5k to throw at it once the trial ends. If Tesla would break out TACC apart from Autosteer and offer it at a reasonable price, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Emmexx1
I updated to 42.3 this past Friday evening. Next day I awoke to a LR RWD that suddenly felt much "punchier" through the entire band of the accelerator pedal than previously. Regen was smoother. Wh/mile also seemed improved.

Until I initiated the EAP trial. Seems that Wh/mile goes up when EAP is on, and perhaps because more battery energy is being used to operate the system. But it's early yet. I'm still "meh" about EAP, as I find the need to nudge the wheel now and then kind of annoying. It also takes some of the fun out of driving the car for me as well. I can certainly see EAP's value on long road trips, however. Heavy traffic...somewhat. Main thing is I don't have $5.5k to throw at it once the trial ends. If Tesla would break out TACC apart from Autosteer and offer it at a reasonable price, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

I felt the same way when I initially used EAP and thought I had just wasted my money. But on road trips, it made a HUGE difference in fatigue level!

As for traffic, sometimes I still drive it myself, because I've driven the same commute so often that I'm mentally on auto-pilot anyway. Where it has helped with traffic is when I'm lazy and just want to keep my knees bent and my feet on a dead-pedal position. For the most part, any "emergency" situations can be steered around more effectively (keeping TACC in place while overriding auto-steer) than trying to take full control back from EAP.

Seems that Wh/mile goes up when EAP is on, and perhaps because more battery energy is being used to operate the system. But it's early yet. I'm still "meh" about EAP, as I find the need to nudge the wheel now and then kind of annoying. It also takes some of the fun out of driving the car for me as well. I can certainly see EAP's value on long road trips, however. Heavy traffic...somewhat. Main thing is I don't have $5.5k to throw at it once the trial ends. If Tesla would break out TACC apart from Autosteer and offer it at a reasonable price, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

We are in agreement here. When doing the EAP test with Ver. 8, I was a solid 198 Wh/mile for over 5K miles before and jumped to 205 Wh/mile two weeks and about 700 miles later. I also would go for separate TACC.

I felt the same way when I initially used EAP and thought I had just wasted my money. But on road trips, it made a HUGE difference in fatigue level!

I wish I had been able to test this on my trip cross country. I bet I would be a huge fan too.