Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD in the Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this has been talked about somewhere else, I can't find it using the search feature.

Everyone says RWD+snow is better than AWD+all seasons. That I'm not disputing or interested in.

I want to buy the RWD, mostly because I'll be able to buy it sooner than the AWD because of the price difference.

What I need to know is how the RWD is with winter tires driving in snow/ice. I like to go skiing, and I live in a hilly area. I have flashbacks to RWD BMW's being stuck going up the hills in a neighbouring town. That said, I don't know if they had proper tires or not.

So the question to RWD owners is, how's the snow/mountain driving?

I apologize if this has been talked about somewhere else, I can't find it using the search feature.

Everyone says RWD+snow is better than AWD+all seasons. That I'm not disputing or interested in.

I want to buy the RWD, mostly because I'll be able to buy it sooner than the AWD because of the price difference.

What I need to know is how the RWD is with winter tires driving in snow/ice. I like to go skiing, and I live in a hilly area. I have flashbacks to RWD BMW's being stuck going up the hills in a neighbouring town. That said, I don't know if they had proper tires or not.

So the question to RWD owners is, how's the snow/mountain driving?

Hope these helps.

I have a BMW , manual tranny with snow tires. And I drive 4000 plus KM a month all over ontario. In Toronto up north , towards Niagara Falls , Kingston and Windsor, oh and every where between. All I can telll you winter tires and not pushing the car hard all make a big difference. Could also be manual tranny.
My driveway also should be noted. It is slopped big time going into the garage I can have difficulties if I don’t clean up the snow as the back end can slide but other than that no issues. As for the Tesla I cannot comment as mine is on order.

I've driven a RWD S in snow as deep as the front bumper and not had a problem.

AWD doesn't help you stop or turn.
I think this depends on the design of the AWD. A friend has a Subaru and I've seen him take right hand corners at speeds that would've spun out my 'AWD' Tiguan.

Thanks for your input Trevlan, that's the kind of realistic experience I'm hoping someone can confirm with the 3.

Thanks for the videos chibi. I've seen the first one but not the second.

I think this depends on the design of the AWD. A friend has a Subaru and I've seen him take right hand corners at speeds that would've spun out my 'AWD' Tiguan.

Thanks for your input Trevlan, that's the kind of realistic experience I'm hoping someone can confirm with the 3.

Thanks for the videos chibi. I've seen the first one but not the second.
I haven't taken my M3 in the snow yet, but my RWD MS with winter tires can drive around Lake tahoe and Washington state (steven pass, leavenworth area) in the winter just fine. Winter tires might even be overkill, might drive just fine with the all-season. it's all about how we drive more than anything.

If you are using these videos as proof of snow handling you haven’t driven in real snow. I live in Western NY WHERE 2 feet at a time has been the norm until the past two years. My driveway is up a steep hill .3 miles. My Forester would plow right up the hill w Goodyear all seasons.

I’m waiting to compare my AWD M3 to that as Subaru seems to be the gold standard besides my Tacoma and Kubota!

I have an early LR RWD 3 as well as a recent P3D. I am still impressed by the get up and go of the RWD3 even after experiencing the P3D. I installed after market wheels and staggered tires on the LR RWD 3 and it performs quite well. I drove in February 2018 in Chicago with the factory wheels and all-season tires in a ton of snow and had no issues. The RWD is a great car option. AWD is not as necessary as people think.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Yep most of the snow driving videos on YouTube are terrible. An yes going usually isn’t the problem it’s stopping. I’m in Alaska and know people who drive RWD cars all winter to do so you must have the best winter tires (Nokian) to get by. That being said a RWD model 3 with Nokian Hakka 9s (Or R2 if you insist on studless) should drive circles around a AWD model 3 with the all seasons that come on it.

Reactions: longshot49
Jumping in here. We are not frequent snow drivers but are planning a trip to Tahoe (Truckee) this week. We have an original config RWD 3 with the factory all weather tires it came with. We have another vehicle (SUV) we could use that has all weather tires but we have chains for if necessary and generally does well in the snow. I would much prefer to take the M3 but am a bit concerned about driving it in snowy conditions. Not interested in getting snow tires for a single use trip. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jumping in here. We are not frequent snow drivers but are planning a trip to Tahoe (Truckee) this week. We have an original config RWD 3 with the factory all weather tires it came with. We have another vehicle (SUV) we could use that has all weather tires but we have chains for if necessary and generally does well in the snow. I would much prefer to take the M3 but am a bit concerned about driving it in snowy conditions. Not interested in getting snow tires for a single use trip. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Someone more familiar with the local laws can chime in about legal requirements and implications of what might be required in terms of chains or winter tires with AWD vs. RWD and the always changing winter road condition classification. I can tell you from a practical perspective, the RWD Model 3 is not your usual RWD front engine ICE car when it comes to snow/ice safety and handling. It has two HUGE advantages, a very balanced weight distribution front to back and a very low center of gravity (which limits the amount of weight transfer to the outside of turns). Driving it on a slippery surface at speed feels like you are in snow sled, very stable, balanced and controlled. The exceptionally fast acting electronic driver aids make it even better.

I don't know what kind of conditions you will be encountering but if you get caught in a bad winter storm or extra slippery conditions, assuming equally capable all-season tires, you will be more capable climbing steep hills with AWD or parking in less than ideal parking spots (or more accurately, getting out of them), but you will have better snow handling, more relaxing driving and much higher safety in the RWD Model 3. The high center of gravity SUV, combined with it's clunkier electronic stability system, will be harder to keep on the road in turns and much more likely to roll-over in the event of treacherous conditions. The weight transfer to the outside tires caused by that high center of gravity is a real disadvantage in treacherous conditions. The low, sled-like nature of the Model 3 is a real advantage.

I grew up in Tahoe, but left a while ago. If controlles are up you will at least need RWD with chains OR snow triees or AWD/4wd with M+S tires and carry chains. So to answer your question if you only take a few trips a year up if the SUV is AWD/4wd take it that way unless the roads are bad you won’t have to mess with chains. If taking trips to Tahoe is something you do more offer I would look at “snowflake” rated all weather (not all season) tires for the RWD 3.

Thanks for the insight. Yes, we are unsure what the conditions will be as we are driving from the Bay Area on Wednesday, but if there is a storm and 80 is under chain control, it feels like taking the SUV (2015 Highlander AWD) makes more sense since it's AWD and we have chains, but if it's post storm stable conditions, we may lean more towards the M3 (I would much rather take the M3 all things being equal).

Installed 4 Michelin X-Ice on my RWD with 18" wheels. Surprisingly good in the snow and also quieter which I wasn't expecting.

Yes, it's unfortunate that various DOT's don't recognize how good a 2WD vehicle like the Model 3 can be in the winter nasties with decent winter tires mounted. I've driven AWD's that handled terribly in the snow even though they had winter tires. The problem wasn't the tires, it was the handling of the vehicle and the traction control.