Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made my "reservation" for a LR RWD MY a year ago. I though my $2500 put me in line and by line I thought anyone putting their $2500 after me would get their car after me. Surprise. Tesla can't crew gum and walk at the same time so only certain colors and configurations are produced. So now we have people putting in orders and receiving their cars within weeks because they chose the current configuration. Now I wonder what line I'm in. Finally I get it. By having my reservation I lock in the price of the car and upgrades I chose. Yes, that seems true so far. But to get that price you must keep the configuration for a car that may never be built. Is this a legit business? And, if the demand is so great why are some orders being filled so quickly? Shouldn't there be several hundred thousand performance and AWD orders? I would just like to be treated fairly.
So I went back to October 22, 2019 to check various things I could have used with the $2500:
Btc price: $7475, current price $9158. Change: 22% increase
Tesla stock: October 23: $299, current price $816 172% increase
9 month CD: 2.5%

i knew putting deposit down would be giving them an interest free loan (it's why I didn't put a deposit March 2019 because it would've been 18 months locked up with no interest)
But, not getting any guidance on what my money is doing right now stinks

Yes, I search Twitter every couple of days for "RWD Model Y" and get plenty of people tweeting at Musk directly or replying to any and every unrelated Musk puts out, no response.
If it's any reason for hope, Musk has not responded with, "Sorry, we won't be making a LR-RWD." Still, it's unconscionable that we've been left twisting in the wind for so long already.

How long have you been "twisting in the wind" since the estimated delivery date you were given when you placed your order?

I don't recall seeing an estimated delivery date. I ordered a RWD on 1/27/2020. That choice was on Tesla's pre-order menu a long time, from 3/14/2019 to 1/29/2020. If Tesla decides that RWD will not be produced they will have to come up with a good explanation as to why it was on their pre-order menu for so long. Hopefully they'll offer us a discounted upgrade to AWD. Several people mentioned that Tesla won't offer a price discount, but I recall there was a time when they gave free color upgrades or free wheel upgrades on the Model 3.

Several people mentioned that Tesla won't offer a price discount, but I recall there was a time when they gave free color upgrades or free wheel upgrades on the Model 3.

My understanding was that was only when they had built too many of a specific configuration and they had them in the wrong location so they discounted them to move them more quickly rather than pay to ship them again to somewhere else.

You didn’t read anything from how the model 3 was launched. Or didn’t remember.

IIRC, Day 1 reservations for the Model 3 did not allow for indication of which variation an interested person planned to purchase.

Between the 3, Y and Cyberturck, the Model Y allowed for the most customization at the point of initial deposit - choosing color, wheels, interior, etc. I know that Cyberturck didn't allow for this. And I'm pretty sure that Model 3 didn't.

If anything, once Tesla allowed Model 3 deposit holders to configure a car, then it was known that the SR/SR+ would come later, disappointing many, but at least informing.

Heck, with Cyberturck we already know tri and single motor have swapped production estimates.

Reactions: MXLRplus
IIRC, Day 1 reservations for the Model 3 did not allow for indication of which variation an interested person planned to purchase.

Between the 3, Y and Cyberturck, the Model Y allowed for the most customization at the point of initial deposit - choosing color, wheels, interior, etc. I know that Cyberturck didn't allow for this. And I'm pretty sure that Model 3 didn't.

If anything, once Tesla allowed Model 3 deposit holders to configure a car, then it was known that the SR/SR+ would come later, disappointing many, but at least informing.

Heck, with Cyberturck we already know tri and single motor have swapped production estimates.
If I was given a choice to put $2500 in and configure it later when there's more concrete specifications for configurations, I'd take that. I don't think many are asking for their car early (as some has surmised that we're still ahead of fall 2020 estimate) but what I at least don't want is them holding on to the money if they have no intentions of making the car

to qualify for a $5K NJ EV rebate program announced in January
Car price should be less than 55,000$ or <= 55,000$ ?
reason I am asking this because my car price is exactly 55,000$ with out taxes
I ordered MY RWD LR WHITE FSD (1/1/2020)

I spoke to my NA Tesla sales advisor yesterday (5/21) and got the same message: he would go in and fill out a case with corporate and change my November order to AWD BUT the current book pricing would go into effect. He said there is nothing he could do when I asked to simply pay the difference only for AWD upgrade ($4,000) from my original order date. I will be following up with him today to confirm our phone discussion - and clarify whether the premium wheel pricing I got for $1,500 at time of order will remain intact (induction wheels are $2,000 at current book pricing). I have to keep the MY under $55K in order to qualify for a $5K NJ EV rebate program announced in January so for me the book price means I have to limit my color/interior options if I want the 20" wheels.

So I ordered an AWD after realizing it would take a LONG time to get the pre-ordered RWD LR (if at all). AWD in the final stages, got a text they estimate a delivery mid-to-late June. I still kept the RWD order for now, figured I can always get the 2500 refunded when I cancel.

Not sure why I'm holding on to that RWD order since I'm getting the AWD soon. Probably mostly out of curiosity to see what Tesla will do with those RWD LR orders.

I'll probably cancel the order and get the 2500 refunded as soon as I take delivery of my AWD though. No point in lending Tesla free money...

I feel they need to either honor these original LR RWD orders next or they should incentivize us to upgrade by just charging the RWD to AWD difference of that time. C’mon Elon. We are your biggest fans and loyalists. Dont let US down.

That's where you are making a mistake. Elon doesn't care a whit about his "biggest fans and loyalists."

At this point I'm assuming I will never see delivery on my LR RWD, and given that I'm not likely to need a car until 2021, I can afford to wait it out for now. Either I will be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong, they will make a special accommodation for RWD reservation holders, or there will be other EVs on the market to choose from.

• Disagree
Reactions: reardencode
In a world without covid-19, the RWD may have had a decent shot at production, but I just don’t see that happening now. It’s just not worth it to Tesla.

I hope I’m proved wrong, we would like to order one, but pretty sure we’ll be stuck with the higher priced AWD.

In a world without covid-19, the RWD may have had a decent shot at production, but I just don’t see that happening now. It’s just not worth it to Tesla.

I hope I’m proved wrong, we would like to order one, but pretty sure we’ll be stuck with the higher priced AWD.

Yeah probably, but they just dropped S 3 X prices so hopefully once the Model Y demand fizzles out they will decide to make the RWD.

They dropped the Model 3 by $2k, I wonder if the LR RWD Model Y has a similar margin..

Reactions: jgd108

Check this out...got an email today that opens up Phase 1 of the NJ $5K incentive program for online rebates ~120 days after you take delivery and submit the paperwork. Phase 2 (date TBD 2020) will let Tesla take the money off at sale. Defines MSRP as LESS than $55K - but you’ll have to email the program to see if FSD is included (wheels, color options ARE included in the MSRP definition, destination/fess are NOT). Home | Charge Up New Jersey