Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Palladium Motorized Screen Tilt Kit

Which kit would you prefer? See post for details.

• Mechanical

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Switches

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Simple Integration

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Full Integration

Votes: 60 60.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When do you think tilt screen will be available? I was interested in $250 and the $500 version.
No idea. I manually tilted mine, myself. Cost - Zero.

IMG_7378.jpeg

I kind of laugh because if I would have waited a few years I could have the feature changed, and the new lights, and paid less. That’s why dealing with Tesla and listening to the hype really is not smart. They don’t follow through on their commitments and they most certainly don’t take care of their rabid fans/patrons.

I won’t get burnt on another Tesla. I’ll be a lot more cautious.

I kind of laugh because if I would have waited a few years I could have the feature changed, and the new lights, and paid less. That’s why dealing with Tesla and listening to the hype really is not smart. They don’t follow through on their commitments and they most certainly don’t take care of their rabid fans/patrons.

I won’t get burnt on another Tesla. I’ll be a lot more cautious.
LOL they released all the new stuff a month after i took delivery. I need to adjust mine manually to face me since i doubt a retrofit is ever gonna happen.

Reactions: josahua
Tried to do the manual adjustment with another forum member last night. Ran into some issues that maybe someone can help with. When we ran the passenger side out, the entire mechanism pivots a bit for the mounting plane for the 2 bolts you have to secure it all back in the dash. So while the one on the right goes back (to move it all forward) the one on the left moves in (toward the screen a bit) because of the pivot.

So we when we tried to put it all back in, the left side was too near us (away from the mounting hole) and we couldn't get the screw to go back in. It was off by at least a 1/2". Looking at the 2 attached photos will help. The issue is getting the screw back in the left side bracket. The way the mounting plane (looking down vertical between the 2 bolts that go back in to secure it alll in the dash) pivots we can't seem to get the left screw back in.

According to @Proppilot it looks like he just moved the right side out and nothing on the left. Thanks for all the great work on this Proppilot. When we did just that, the left side moves toward (rearward in the car) so much that we can get the screw back into secure the entire mechanism back in the dash. Does everyone just move the right side screw mechanism and no other side?

Also looking at the bracket on the monitor part, my isn't machined like a "V" like other photos I've seen. My car is a just before they cutover to the motorized display in 2022. That would be were the number "77" is written on my 2nd photo. It looks like the ones with V slot would also have a pin to make sure it tracks in the V and I can't tell from the other photos for sure if that is the case. Obviously with my mounting bracket there is no tracking of a pin in the V. You can basically swivel it left or right to some extent when far enough out.

When the right dog ear on the mountain bracket to the monitor moving back, and the left one then moving forward, it makes it impossible to get it back in with the screen extended to pivot toward the driver. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Anyone move the mechanism on both sides?

IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg

Tried to do the manual adjustment with another forum member last night. Ran into some issues that maybe someone can help with. When we ran the passenger side out, the entire mechanism pivots a bit for the mounting plane for the 2 bolts you have to secure it all back in the dash. So while the one on the right goes back (to move it all forward) the one on the left moves in (toward the screen a bit) because of the pivot.

So we when we tried to put it all back in, the left side was too near us (away from the mounting hole) and we couldn't get the screw to go back in. It was off by at least a 1/2". Looking at the 2 attached photos will help. The issue is getting the screw back in the left side bracket. The way the mounting plane (looking down vertical between the 2 bolts that go back in to secure it alll in the dash) pivots we can't seem to get the left screw back in.

According to @Proppilot it looks like he just moved the right side out and nothing on the left. Thanks for all the great work on this Proppilot. When we did just that, the left side moves toward (rearward in the car) so much that we can get the screw back into secure the entire mechanism back in the dash. Does everyone just move the right side screw mechanism and no other side?

Also looking at the bracket on the monitor part, my isn't machined like a "V" like other photos I've seen. My car is a just before they cutover to the motorized display in 2022. That would be were the number "77" is written on my 2nd photo. It looks like the ones with V slot would also have a pin to make sure it tracks in the V and I can't tell from the other photos for sure if that is the case. Obviously with my mounting bracket there is no tracking of a pin in the V. You can basically swivel it left or right to some extent when far enough out.

When the right dog ear on the mountain bracket to the monitor moving back, and the left one then moving forward, it makes it impossible to get it back in with the screen extended to pivot toward the driver. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Anyone move the mechanism on both sides?

View attachment 947868View attachment 947869
You have to move the left side out some as well, otherwise the mounting bolts don’t line up with the mounting bracket. Just enough so the left remains tucked to the dash while still being able to get both bolts in. On the right, my display sticks out 3” from the dash - same as the auto powered one.

Agreed with Jebinc. I did not run out the left side at all on mine but took time and effort to get the vertical bolt back in. Now that I understand the mechanism operation better I can see that this makes it easier. Now that mine is motorized, I have to run out one side very slightly before the other.

Reactions: jebinc
My 3/2022 build has these 4 open connectors behind the screen (left one is hidden and its a 3-wire purple,green,black). Does anyone know what they are for? Perhaps they are for the missing ambient strip lights or perhaps for the screen tilt controller/motors?
View attachment 801113

Also, for those folks doing a manual tilt. Future adjustments will be easier if you remove the acme screw assembly (just unbolt the plate and unscrew it). You won't need to use a drill to adjust and only need to loosen the two bottom torx screws to move the screen. Those two screws can be reached from underneath without removing the screen.

I'm going to experiment with felt tape between the metal surfaces see if its possible to maintain enough friction for manual adjustment
View attachment 801114

View attachment 801115
Hey dude, curious if you ever got a manual tilt function going or did you stay with a fixed position?

The cost for the motorized unit was under a hundred bucks Canadian so I suspect about 70 USD and it is OTC. I swapped mine and wired to a couple of toggle switches and tapped power from the charger tray. I can manually articulate via the switches. I did it for fun. To me, the screen rotation function is not something I ever change. Tilted it fully left and have not touched it. Did it cause it could be done ✅

The IP Carrier is cheap yes, but I think I figured out why they don't offer a retrofit.

Some early build date cars require a LH Body Controller replacement from 02-B to 03-B to control the screen. It isn't just the IP carrier and the bottom shroud($2 part - #18 on the above graphic). Even if you get both of those installed and un-tape the wiring, it won't work without the correct revision of LH Body Controller, which is a bit of work to get installed (Have a look at the removal/install procedure). After replacement you need to verify all the connectors are seated properly(There are many), wiring is put back correctly, and reinstall an airbag. Then you have to re-pair the immobilizer and re-calibrate just about everything inside the car plus both LH windows and door handles using Toolbox. You can do most of the calibration routines with the built-in service mode, except the screen motor calibration and the immobilizer routine. You need Toolbox for those. (Until you do all of that, the car is a brick.)

So yeah, doesn't seem worth it...

Last edited:
Agreed with Jebinc. I did not run out the left side at all on mine but took time and effort to get the vertical bolt back in. Now that I understand the mechanism operation better I can see that this makes it easier. Now that mine is motorized, I have to run out one side very slightly before the other.
Would you mind sharing some pics on the final outcome? I'm ver curious about accomplishing the same thing on mine

Someone finally finished a full stock retrofit!

Very nice. As expected, the critical part is getting access to the vehicle configuration change, which makes it not feasible for most of us. I really hope Tesla would open that up as an official paid service. Btw, looks likes he also retrofitted to the new matrix headlights! #jealous