Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Palladium Motorized Screen Tilt Kit

Which kit would you prefer? See post for details.

• Mechanical

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Switches

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Simple Integration

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Full Integration

Votes: 60 60.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean other than things like the HEPA filter, LTE, and MCU2? The government didn't make them do any of those retrofits.
Exactly. More examples like: homelink, CCS Support (coming soon), Roadster 1 battery retrofit, PWS (pedestrian warning system) for the models that have the necessary hardware (post 2019 cars). Comparing to traditional car companies, Tesla does better in this area.

Interesting they say retrofit is likely. Seems like old news but maybe something has changed?
Wow. They didn’t even bother listing a source for the retrofit claim.

They are really just making it up as they go along.

Does not exist but lots of reference/instructions and photos on how to do it manually
What photos or instruction are available so I can try to do it myself thank you
Go to page 1 of the thread and start reading. By page 2 you should stumble into the photos and manual that I created and posted
I will try to find page one of the thread that seems to be a problem

time to wear my big boy pants and will get the motors.

Looking to get the swivel part without the screen so I can test it in my lab. The plan of attack would be to wire it (as factory looking as possible) to buttons either located in the space between the bottom of the center display and the charger pads (the middle space between what looks like vent holes, which will be out of sight) or any other space where the naked eye has no visibility from either the driver or the passenger angle.

I will be pressing each button in sequence (to move the screen from left to right) with an auto-stop when the motors feel resistance from the mechanism, OR i will calculate the number of rotations that it needs before it stops, meaning the reach of a fully extended position or fully retracted

time to wear my big boy pants and will get the motors.

Looking to get the swivel part without the screen so I can test it in my lab. The plan of attack would be to wire it (as factory looking as possible) to buttons either located in the space between the bottom of the center display and the charger pads (the middle space between what looks like vent holes, which will be out of sight) or any other space where the naked eye has no visibility from either the driver or the passenger angle.

I will be pressing each button in sequence (to move the screen from left to right) with an auto-stop when the motors feel resistance from the mechanism, OR i will calculate the number of rotations that it needs before it stops, meaning the reach of a fully extended position or fully retracted
Looking forward for the retrofit tilt screen do you know now about when we shall expect the retrofit

Go to page 1 of the thread and start reading. By page 2 you should stumble into the photos and manual that I created and posted
Yes, yes! I used your instructions today! Many thanks! Mine was built in 8/21. Everything needed was there!

IMG_7378.jpeg

IMG_7371.jpeg

IMG_7372.jpeg

IMG_7375.jpeg

IMG_7376.jpeg

Reactions: Proppilot and Bull
Very early first pass of powered tilt. Final gears will be smoother and quieter.

I'm about halfway through creating a kit for those of us who wish to retrofit tilting capabilities to our Palladium S's and X's. This is a result of an intense hunt for motors matching the complete mechanism, and months working with an aerospace gear cutter to create a proper worm drive interface for the tilt mechanism in our cars. But I have a question for you, the community who may be interested in this kit.

What features do you want?

There are four possible options, each of varying complexity and cost. I may offer more than one - and possibly every - option later, but for now I'd like to focus development efforts on a single solution. The feature breakdown, as well as ballpark prices, is as follows:

Mechanical. ~$250. Non-powered. This would be akin to the hand tilt mechanism kits currently offered for 3's/Y's. I'm still considering different methods of affixing the screen at the mechanism endpoints in such a way that facilitates easy movement, but stays fixed when the screen is touched, likely using detents or magnets. Would likely only be affixed at mechanism endpoints and center.

Switches. ~$500. Powered, in the same way shown in the video. Discrete switches would be integrated into the small grill panel just below the screen/just above the Qi charging pads. One switch for tilting toward the driver and back, the other for tilting toward the passenger and back. There would be no motor controller other than your finger, so stopping at endpoints and returning to center before changing tilt direction is your responsibility. Screen would stay affixed at any given travel position.

Simple Integration. ~$750. Powered, with the same characteristics as Switches, but direction input is now controlled with Yoke buttons. Which ones, TBD.

Full Integration. ~$1,000. This would theoretically match the feature characteristics as intended by Tesla. Automatic endpoint stops and direction management. Tilt direction automatically determined by seat occupancy as well as Yoke control. Automatic return to center after leaving the car. Will require time for coding the controller and ensuring reliability.

So vote and let me know.

In case anyone asks - OEM reintroduction of screen tilting isn't looking so hot. I've been hunting and collating information on the mechanism for months, and it's been a complete mess. Some sources say it was withheld due to reliability issues, Elon's own comments indicate part availability issues. The EPC has been extremely inconsistent this whole time, and just today the tilt mechanism part number was scrubbed from the S/X EPC entirely. Seriously, check for yourself. It was part #6 in the Model S Dash Support Frame parts list but the list now skips from #5 directly to #7.
Did any of this come to pass?