Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY button install on 2018 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought these buttons. The video linked from the app (no instructions came in the manual or on their site) shows the connector included in the box being connected, but there is no information on connecting the alternate harness for earlier models. I figured both cables would be there, but only one (the mid-sized) cable was there to split. What do you do with the smaller connectors?

When you order them, you have the option of getting the earlier, smaller harness. I got one for my 2018 T3. Contact the company.
They sent a harness with two medium sized connectors that fit mine, but it also had two smaller connectors. There is no other cable behind the removed panel besides the one. Here is a picture of the connectors that don't have a matching cable to plug into. The bigger plug (smaller than the one in the box) fits my car, but what did you do with the smaller one. I did select my year and model when ordering.

Attachments

• 20230815_224001.jpg
    20230815_224001.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 20230815_223929.jpg
    20230815_223929.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 0
They sent a harness with two medium sized connectors that fit mine, but it also had two smaller connectors. There is no other cable behind the removed panel besides the one. Here is a picture of the connectors that don't have a matching cable to plug into. The bigger plug (smaller than the one in the box) fits my car, but what did you do with the smaller one. I did select my year and model when ordering.
That looks like what you'd need for the passenger front section? Different product's installation video, but ... looks like it connects the same place as this (~30s mark)

Reactions: CoolBuddy
Upvote 0
That looks like what you'd need for the passenger front section? Different product's installation video, but ... looks like it connects the same place as this (~30s mark)
That definitely looks like a candidate. I am starting to believe they sent me the wrong wire harness, though (and the video references 2021+ models so it may not match mine). I figure if it was the correct wire harness, someone in here with a 2018 Model 3 would've received it with such and learned how it was expected to be connected.

Upvote 0
That definitely looks like a candidate. I am starting to believe they sent me the wrong wire harness, though (and the video references 2021+ models so it may not match mine). I figure if it was the correct wire harness, someone in here with a 2018 Model 3 would've received it with such and learned how it was expected to be connected.
I have a 2018 Tesla 3. I have connected the S3XY button system and use it for my mirrors, passenger door and the glove box. It works good, no problems. The attached video does not apply to you at all. It is the wrong system and for the wrong year. The harness you have is different from mine. Yours has an extra connector. I would connect your system and ignore that other connector. Conceivably, it could be used for another application. Alternatively, contact the supplier and ask for the correct harness.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 Tesla 3. I have connected the S3XY button system and use it for my mirrors, passenger door and the glove box. It works good, no problems. The attached video does not apply to you at all. It is the wrong system and for the wrong year. The harness you have is different from mine. Yours has an extra connector. I would connect your system and ignore that other connector. Conceivably, it could be used for another application. Alternatively, contact the supplier and ask for the correct harness.
Thanks for confirming. I tried connecting what was there and the commander wouldn't connect

Upvote 0
The attached video does not apply to you at all. It is the wrong system and for the wrong year.
I have a 2020 Tesla model 3, and currently have 3 (three) of these frigging dongles attached to my car. Two are the usual rear-seat OBD2 adapters, which is what you should have gotten... and it's a simple two-plug interposition thing with an OBD2 out. One of which has the S3XY commander plugged into it, another has a different generic Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. The third is the Teslogic adapter, and it plugs into a port near the front passenger footwell, and ... as I tried to clarify ... has the same sort of connectors as the connector in the picture. (It's not OBD2, it's different plug to the actual dongle, but the same "interpose that smaller cable, and plug into/not interpose another connector" wiring going on)

I'll note that the upcoming future S|3|X|Y Knob device claims it can plug into the passenger side or the rear seat one, and you can get either connector.

My hypothesis is you got a passenger-front OBD2 adapter. Were it me, I'd try and plug it in there and see if it works, the video I linked has the directions for taking that part of the car apart. But asking for the right adapter is also a very reasonable approach: what you've got is not the normal one that came with my order.

ISTR that you'll need to be clear on the year of your car, the rear-seat adapter wiring changed at some point, and I can't recall when. I don't know if the front wiring changed any.

Upvote 0
I have a 2020 Tesla model 3, and currently have 3 (three) of these frigging dongles attached to my car. Two are the usual rear-seat OBD2 adapters, which is what you should have gotten... and it's a simple two-plug interposition thing with an OBD2 out. One of which has the S3XY commander plugged into it, another has a different generic Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. The third is the Teslogic adapter, and it plugs into a port near the front passenger footwell, and ... as I tried to clarify ... has the same sort of connectors as the connector in the picture. (It's not OBD2, it's different plug to the actual dongle, but the same "interpose that smaller cable, and plug into/not interpose another connector" wiring going on)

I'll note that the upcoming future S|3|X|Y Knob device claims it can plug into the passenger side or the rear seat one, and you can get either connector.

My hypothesis is you got a passenger-front OBD2 adapter. Were it me, I'd try and plug it in there and see if it works, the video I linked has the directions for taking that part of the car apart. But asking for the right adapter is also a very reasonable approach: what you've got is not the normal one that came with my order.

ISTR that you'll need to be clear on the year of your car, the rear-seat adapter wiring changed at some point, and I can't recall when. I don't know if the front wiring changed any.
This will definitely be the last product I buy from them. Their support is terrible. Slow response and just told me to use the second cable, which I had already explained to them didn't work.

I just am nervous about trying the passenger adapter. If it is actually wired differently, it may damage some other component.

Upvote 0
This will definitely be the last product I buy from them. Their support is terrible. Slow response and just told me to use the second cable, which I had already explained to them didn't work.

I just am nervous about trying the passenger adapter. If it is actually wired differently, it may damage some other component.
Tesla's pretty good about "if we changed how the plug is wired, we change the plug too". If it fits, it'll likely work. When they changed the wiring on the rear, the plugs no longer fit, for example.

Reactions: CoolBuddy
Upvote 0