Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 iphones installed. One is installed behind the steering wheel for the dashboard while I am driving and normally is always connected to the commander. My normal iphone I do not use the app unless I want to configure a button. At that moment I stop the app on the other phone and start it one the normal phone. Only one iphone can be connected to the commander at a certain time. The moment I configured the buttons, I close the app and start the app at the phone behind the steering wheel again.
Thank you. Did you simply pair both phones to the commander during the setup? Also, since the dashboard phone uses the same app, I presume you could use it to configure the buttons?

I've literally seen situations where even an automatic car "coasting" put too much decel to rear wheels and tried to spin the car. Neutral, not something we can have, has saved my ass a few times when others were spinning into ditches.
I'm not suggesting it replaces the ability to set regen to zero, but the car can definitely be put into neutral.

Neutral​

Neutral allows Model Y to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal:

• When in Park, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk either up or down to the first position.
  • When in Drive, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk up to the first position. If Autosteer or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (if equipped) is active, you must push the drive stalk up to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second. In doing so, Autosteer or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is disabled.
  • When in Reverse, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk down to the first position.

Note
You must press the brake pedal to shift out of Neutral if driving slower than approximately 5 mph (8 km/h).

• Helpful
Reactions: BitJam and dafish
I've got a new feature request (if possible)...

After the recent update to FSD Beta, there is no longer any setting available to prevent automatic lane changes. Instead, the best you can do is to select "Minimal Lane Changes" to limit how often it makes (usually really poorly timed) lane changes. But, annoyingly, that setting resets to OFF after every drive, so you have to remember to manually toggle it back on the first time you use FSD during every drive.

If there was any way for the S3XY Button commander to have an option to automatically toggle ON this "Minimal Lane Changes" setting (similar to how today it's able to toggle OFF auto wipers and auto brights when FSD/AP/TACC is engaged), that would be awesome.

Thanks for your consideration, @dimitar.ns.

1682545881960.png

1682545980685.png

Last edited:
I went through many posts in this thread in search of answers related to regen but found none, so here are the questions:

The current available driving modes are creep, roll, and hold.
1) Does hold default to max regen?

2) S3xy allows the override of regen amount in the backend even though it is not configurable by default, is that correct? (The YT video seems to suggest this but I wanted to confirm).

3) Does creep or roll provide any regen on deceleration? If so, how much regen? Does S3xy also affect the regen while in creep (presuming creep does regen).

Thanks.

I went through many posts in this thread in search of answers related to regen but found none, so here are the questions:

2) S3xy allows the override of regen amount in the backend even though it is not configurable by default, is that correct? (The YT video seems to suggest this but I wanted to confirm).

3) Does creep or roll provide any regen on deceleration? If so, how much regen? Does S3xy also affect the regen while in creep (presuming creep does regen).

Thanks.
1) Creep, Roll, and Hold do not have anything to do with Regen. The Creep, Roll and Hold have to do with how the vehicle stops at the last or holds in place once stopped. Creep, is like a current ICE automatic transmission, if you let of the brake the car would creep forward. Roll, means at the last of the stopping <4mph the vehicle would then need the brakes applied to come to a full stop. Hold, means that the vehicle will stay in place once it comes to a complete stop regen all the way to stop (<4mph).

2) Yes, You can configure Sexy Buttons to adjust the amount of regen with a press of a button. I have a button for this, but honestly only use it when it's really Icy or snowy on the roads.

3) Again those settings don't affect regen at all. You will always have regen on unless you use Sexy Buttons to override it.

Hope that helps

Reactions: BitJam and snovvman
FWIW, I always have regen in the standard mode and use "hold". It's a true one pedal driving experience and really nice once you're used to it. Provides extra energy back to the battery when stopping as well (extra bonus). Unless it's icy or snowy, then I may use the Sexy buttons and reduce the regen down to 50%.

Reactions: snovvman
1) Creep, Roll, and Hold do not have anything to do with Regen. The Creep, Roll and Hold have to do with how the vehicle stops at the last or holds in place once stopped. Creep, is like a current ICE automatic transmission, if you let of the brake the car would creep forward. Roll, means at the last of the stopping <4mph the vehicle would then need the brakes applied to come to a full stop. Hold, means that the vehicle will stay in place once it comes to a complete stop regen all the way to stop (<4mph).

2) Yes, You can configure Sexy Buttons to adjust the amount of regen with a press of a button. I have a button for this, but honestly only use it when it's really Icy or snowy on the roads.

3) Again those settings don't affect regen at all. You will always have regen on unless you use Sexy Buttons to override it.

Hope that helps

That helps a lot. Thank you!

Following up--Notwithstanding S3xy, does the car default to max regen?

Also, to confirm my understanding--regen is also operating with creep and roll, the real difference with hold, then, is the one pedal driving where the vehicle will stop when the accelerator (can't really call it throttle or gas anymore) is lifted?

To me, roll is more like a manual ICE whereas creep is like an automatic?

That helps a lot. Thank you!

Following up--Notwithstanding S3xy, does the car default to max regen?

Also, to confirm my understanding--regen is also operating with creep and roll, the real difference with hold, then, is the one pedal driving where the vehicle will stop when the accelerator (can't really call it throttle or gas anymore) is lifted?

To me, roll is more like a manual ICE whereas creep is like an automatic?
No problem, glad to help, Yes currently Tesla will default to "standard" regen. There's a rumor that Tesla may provide a "low" regen setting again with a future software update.

"Standard" regen will also be in effect with Creep & Roll as well, Roll will just let off the regen at under 4mph and you would need to use the brake to come to a complete stop.

Sexy Buttons are awesome for many different things, I have them on both my Teslas.

Thanks.
There seems to be a lot of confusion between regen and stop modes. Regen affects how the car slows down from traveling speed to a near stop. Currently, this cannot be changed without S3XY buttons, but Tesla has announced that selectable regen will be restored in an upcoming software upgrade. Stop modes control how the car behaves after 99.9% of regen has been completed. From the owner's manual:
Regenerative braking decelerates Model Y whenever you release the accelerator pedal when driving. You can choose what you want Model Y to do once the driving speed has been reduced to a very low speed (almost at a stop) and both the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are released. While in Park, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Stopping Mode and choose from these options:

• Creep: When close to, or at, a complete stop, the motor continues to apply torque, moving Model Y slowly forward (in Drive) or backwards (in Reverse), similar to a conventional vehicle with an automatic transmission. In some situations, such as on a steep hill or driveway, you may need to press the accelerator pedal to continue moving or to prevent Model Yfrom moving in the opposite direction.
  • Hold: Maximizes range and reduces brake wear by continuing to provide regenerative braking at speeds lower than with the Creep and Roll settings. When Model Y stops, the brakes are automatically applied without you having to put your foot on the brake pedal. Whether stopped on a flat surface or a hill, Vehicle Hold keeps the brake applied, provided your foot remains off the accelerator and brake pedals. See Vehicle Hold.
  • Roll: When close to, or at, a complete stop, Model Y becomes free rolling like a vehicle in Neutral. Therefore, if stopped on a slope, Model Y will roll downward. The brake does not engage, and the motor does not apply torque (until the accelerator pedal is pressed).

Reading the above, Tesla implies that Hold gives the most range because it continues regen all the way to a stop. Realistically, though, you'll probably never be able to notice the difference because the regen achieved at these low speeds is negligible.

No problem, glad to help, Yes currently Tesla will default to "standard" regen. There's a rumor that Tesla may provide a "low" regen setting again with a future software update.

Sexy Buttons are awesome for many different things, I have them on both my Teslas.

Thanks again! So Tesla's "standard" = S3XY's "max" regen?

Agreed, I have them en route so I am planning on button assignments!

There seems to be a lot of confusion between regen and stop modes. Regen affects how the car slows down from traveling speed to a near stop. Currently, this cannot be changed without S3XY buttons, but Tesla has announced that selectable regen will be restored in an upcoming software upgrade. Stop modes control how the car behaves after 99.9% of regen has been completed. From the owner's manual:

Reading the above, Tesla implies that Hold gives the most range because it continues regen all the way to a stop. Realistically, though, you'll probably never be able to notice the difference because the regen achieved at these low speeds is negligible.

Thanks for the great explaination and insight. I wonder if even with hold, does the car apply the brake on its own to bring the car to a stop? Or, the motor(s) can fully do that on its own?

///

Another S3XY question--I intend to use the partial door handle hold to open the frunk and charge port. Is it possible to engage the partial hold without actually having the door pop open? I imagine not because it is a single stage switch where once it is engaged, the door will pop? Again, the YT video above shows the doors popped, but I was wondering if there is a stage where the handle can be held without popping the door. This would require a multi-stage door handle switch, of course.

Is the reason that people want to reduce the regen in order to lessen the draggy feel when lifting the accelerator? Any other reasons?
In slippery or icy conditions it's safer to turn off regen. It is also handy if you want to dry off the brake discs after washing the car. Yeah, if I could turn it off then I'd probably do so when someone new first tries driving the car to ease the learning curve.

I think some people want to disable regen to save energy by coasting down hills. Coasting can be more efficient than regen because you don't have any electrical losses.

In slippery or icy conditions it's safer to turn off regen. It is also handy if you want to dry off the brake discs after washing the car. Yeah, if I could turn it off then I'd probably do so when someone new first tries driving the car to ease the learning curve.

I think some people want to disable regen to save energy by coasting down hills. Coasting can be more efficient than regen because you don't have any electrical losses.

Ah! I now recall reading about low traction conditions and your coasting explaination makes sense. Another great response--thank you!

///

I customized the button actions tonight and noticed that the display order of the buttons changed. Initially, it was blank-s-3-x-y-blank. Now it's blank-x-s-3-y-blank. What caused the change in the display order? There does not appear to be a way to rearrange them.

If you apply a bit of accelerator, you can certainly coast even with regen on.

Bruce.

I customized the button actions tonight [...]
After you've had some experience with them, please let us know what you think.

If you apply a bit of accelerator, you can certainly coast even with regen on.
Sure, of course. But it would be a lot easier and probably more fun if you could just turn regen off.

My second car was a Karmann Ghia and I'd have a blast in rolling hills gaining speed down one hill to get up the next one in 3rd of 4th. My Volvo 240 wagon with electric overdrive was fun like this too when it was down near sea level where it could breathe.

It's not exactly the same thing but I think a Tesla sans regen would be fun in a similar way.

Will do. Seeing the "Coming Soon" on this page Tesla Car Accessories | S3XY Enhance Commander, "Mute on Reverse", I wonder if this is PWS disable on reverse? If so, it would be very nice to be able to mute on forward as well.
Honestly, do you ACTUALLY hear anything when going forward? None of my Model 3s make any noise I can hear when in Drive from 0 to 10 mph. The air conditioner and coolant pumps make some noise, but I have never heard any PWS in Drive. Complained to Tesla, they said everything was Jake. I even rode in the frunk while my wife drove down the alley and I heard nothing, even with my new Super Whizbang hearing aids. The Rocky Jones backup noise is quite noticeable, but nothing while driving forward.

Last edited: