Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, do you ACTUALLY hear anything when going forward? None of my Model 3s make any noise I can hear when in Drive from 0 to 10 mph. The air conditioner and coolant pumps make some noise, but I have never heard any PWS in Drive. Complained to Tesla, they said everything was Jake. I even rode in the frunk while my wife drove down the alley and I heard nothing, even with my new Super Whizbang hearing aids. The Rocky Jones backup noise is quite noticeable, but nothing while driving forward.

Forward is actually a hissing noise. I hear it well when the window is down. I also hear it when my neighbors drive by with theirs. I think the reverse is more prominent and obvious. Here is a video that differentiates the noises:

As I understand it, a new, unpaired Commander will pair with any phone. Thereafter, the button has to be pressed for another phone to be added. This was not my experience. During the set up, I was able to pair my iPhone and Android phone without pushing the button. This makes me wonder, even with Safe Bluetooth Connect enabled, could someone nearby with the app, while I'm in the car, pair with the Commander in my car?

I am going to try this myself in the next few days. If anyone has information, please share. Thanks.

Reactions: drdumont
Forward is actually a hissing noise. I hear it well when the window is down. I also hear it when my neighbors drive by with theirs. I think the reverse is more prominent and obvious. Here is a video that differentiates the noises:
Yes, I saw this old chestnut when it came out. All I can tell you is that I, my family, and a few others hear nothing. Certainly no pedestrians hear it or pay any attention. And frankly, I couldn't give a rodential anus.
Of course, everyone you see nowadays is either wearing headphones, some form of earbuds or whatever, and is either chatting away or actually walking and reading/watching/texting, blissfully unaware of the world around them. More than once someone has suddenly sensed they are walking in front of an automobile in a driveway, and has signaled to me in umbrage that they are number 1. How dare I interrupt them y my presence?
There oughta be a bounty on 'em.

Reactions: snovvman
Thank you. Did you simply pair both phones to the commander during the setup? Also, since the dashboard phone uses the same app, I presume you could use it to configure the buttons?
The first Phone is installed and used only for the dashboard. The second phone I only connect it when changing a button configuration. Only one phone can be connected on a certain moment

As I understand it, a new, unpaired Commander will pair with any phone. Thereafter, the button has to be pressed for another phone to be added. This was not my experience. During the set up, I was able to pair my iPhone and Android phone without pushing the button. This makes me wonder, even with Safe Bluetooth Connect enabled, could someone nearby with the app, while I'm in the car, pair with the Commander in my car?

I am going to try this myself in the next few days. If anyone has information, please share. Thanks.
In order to add a new phone you should either press the button on the Commander or Double-press the right steering wheel button. Both require access to the inside of the car. Maybe you pressed the steering wheel button during the setup and didn't notice? So far nobody reported a bug in this security feature.

I wish there was a way (eg via button press) to disconnect curent Bluetooth phone connections and so enable swapping of the phone which is connected without having to force quit the app on the currently connected phone.

The S3XY folks are advertising via Email that you can program a button which will reset the "Apply pressure to the wheel" nag, so you could place a button for example on the armrest or somewhere, thus you would not have to keep a hand on the wheel.

IMHO this is as stupid an idea as putting a weight on the wheel or any of the other hacks that have been used. It defeats the purpose of the safety warning. If your hand is not ON the wheel, this increases your reaction time when the system tries to kill you.

I wrote them expressing my opinion (as a user of the buttons), and to their credit, I did receive a polite reply positing that my opinion was wrong.

Anyone else have an opinion?

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: 804son and Jones1
The S3XY folks are advertising via Email that you can program a button which will reset the "Apply pressure to the wheel" nag, so you could place a button for example on the armrest or somewhere, thus you would not have to keep a hand on the wheel.

IMHO this is as stupid an idea as putting a weight on the wheel or any of the other hacks that have been used. It defeats the purpose of the safety warning. If your hand is not ON the wheel, this increases your reaction time when the system tries to kill you.

I wrote them expressing my opinion (as a user of the buttons), and to their credit, I did receive a polite reply positing that my opinion was wrong.

OMG This would be Amazing if True. Thank you. I’ll try it now.

If Tesla is using the Cabin Camera. The nag should not be used. Unless there is an option for Nag or Camera. #StopTheNag.

Moderator note: This is a S3XY Buttons thread, not a place for a general discussion about the steering wheel nag or any other mechanisms for determining driver attention. There's an entire forum for AP, FSD, and related topics.

Thanks,

Bruce.
I was replying about a new function or the S3XY buttons. I expressed and opinion of its propriety, and an opinion of FSD. Kind of a mixed bag, wot?
The main thing was I wrote about a (at least to me) new function of the S3XY buttons. Where would a better place be for that?

Reactions: Jones1
I was replying about a new function or the S3XY buttons. I expressed and opinion of its propriety, and an opinion of FSD. Kind of a mixed bag, wot?
The main thing was I wrote about a (at least to me) new function of the S3XY buttons. Where would a better place be for that?

Not here, for sure as this is not a thread about nag weights.

I find the "Autopilot Hands-On" feature very helpful. It's an affirmative engagement in the form of a button press, not dissimilar to the actions of rolling or pressing the scroll wheel. S3XY simply provides more location flexibly. Relatedly, does the "Autopilot On" function emulate the double down tap on the stalk? In other words, if a vehicle is equipped with EAP or FSD, will they be engaged with the Autopilot On function?

Another feature that would be very beneficial is to mimic a voice command--specifically, the command to "Play a song from USB". According to what I know, the only way to resume music from an USB source is to use the voice command, otherwise one would have to navigate the folders or playlists to get back to the music that was playing. I, for one, would much rather press a button rather than say "Play a song form USB" each time.

Reactions: Jones1 and BitJam