Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY knob anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the S3XY buttons, but after installing in them I wasn't really happy with the security on the connection to the OBD dongle and removed it. It really has little in the way of protection, while it hides the bluetooth device while the car is off that's not really security against someone determined sniffing signals, then using it to open the doors, and while your driving someone in another car could trivially change your driving settings (e.g. turn off regen for you).

This was a year or so ago, maybe they've improved it, but given they launched this product with such major vulnerabilities I'm simply not going to trust it.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I bought the S3XY buttons, but after installing in them I wasn't really happy with the security on the connection to the OBD dongle and removed it. It really has little in the way of protection, while it hides the bluetooth device while the car is off that's not really security against someone determined sniffing signals, then using it to open the doors, and while your driving someone in another car could trivially change your driving settings (e.g. turn off regen for you).

This was a year or so ago, maybe they've improved it, but given they launched this product with such major vulnerabilities I'm simply not going to trust it.
@dimitar.ns Maybe you could address these points?

Reactions: AndyWarrington
I ordered the knob at the pre-order price having been a user of the buttons since the back end of last year.

I bought the buttons for one single feature - disabling auto-wipers when AP is enabled!

It works seamlessly and perfectly for this and for the other functions I've assigned (e.g. disable/enable regen, turn on/off front & rear fogs), along with the half open door handle to unlock the charge port (really useful!).

My plan is to keep the buttons for their current assignments and use the knob for things like AC and seat heaters.

I found this on the Enhance FAQ, which addresses your concerns I believe - particularly point 2 on their list.

1693575562235.png

I found this on the Enhance FAQ, which addresses your concerns I believe - particularly point 2 on their list.

View attachment 970081
I never had to press a steering wheel button to connect to the commander.

To be honest the rest of that list is a set of compensating controls that make it 'hard' (quoting them) not impossible. This solution needs to implement proper Bluetooth level security using pairing codes, this mechanism may be suitable for an OBD connector that is connected temporarily for diagnosis but I'm not happy to drive down a road with it. I bet if I followed you closely for a while there would be a point where you pressed a button that allows it to pair with my device.

@rotarypower101

About post 755 and for the next few pages.

Thats what I was guessing, was hoping there was a large "knob" specific thread that I hadn't been able to find.

Curious about this product with the updated console configuration now?
How might that work moving forward?
Wondering if there might be a different "universal" implementation considered, or will they likely just adapt to the new configuration? Not sure how that might be done "elegantly"... But potentially it could be better for people that never utilize a cup holder for its intended purpose...

Random though on the topic would be to completely replace the sliding door with a integrated knob in a replacement sliding door to allow the more important forward access to the storage below, and only limiting how far the door retracts, which I think wouldn't prohibit utility as much as the current configuration...Just a thought...not sure if it would be practical in execution.

Last edited:
is the knob sturdy? or is it wobbly? looks like he's touching it very carefully in the video...

what about the lights inside the console? the door needs to be almost closed for the lights to shut off. will the thickness of this knob keep it on all the time?