Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 For Sale White/Tan/Gloss Wood/No Pano 3500 miles ACCIDENT DAMAGE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I've gathered so far-
Recent right rear quarter panel replacement and door touch up was $22K and the owner was offered $8K in diminished value (which he has rejected as estimates put the number more like $18K). I will be dealing with the same insurance company and the same body shop if I have it repaired. The car is basically $82K when you subtract the Federal Tax Credit. My damage is as above plus two doors so let's use $25K as a conservative number. 82-25-8=49K and those are very conservative numbers. Something North of $40K, which should be do-able, combined with a modest increase in both the repair and diminished value numbers and I can eat the rest as depreciation and the cost of driving on the road with other people. Think of it as a Stuff Happens tax. It sucks but it happens.

This only works if there is a home for the car. A do it yourself type or one with a friend at a body shop can replace the doors and work the rear quarter cost effectively. Sure, the repair will not be Tesla certified but then you will not have to pay $82K for the car.

This is the reason for posting, to see if my logic makes sense.

@lola
Help me understand something.
If you are correct regarding diminished value (and I think you are)...
82-25-18= $39k
Given t-bone impact you described, it's very likely some unseen damage exists to other parts, or even structural misalignment which could add thousands to the repair cost or result in a total loss. In the future, Tesla could also refuse to repair or replace things (such as electronics or battery) under warranty because they could have been damaged during the accident. It's very difficult to prove otherwise, and Tesla is in the position to decide.

All considered, isn't this closer to a $30k car to anyone else?
Because...
You are in a unique position to force an insurance company to cover these potential circumstances. No other owner will have the same leverage with the insurance company.

e,
Starting from the end and working backwards, I'm not sure I have any leverage at all. I'm just hard headed and refuse to spend money that does not need to be spent. It does not matter who's money it is (mine, my insurance company or their insurance company). It just plain makes more sense to do an as is sale for all the reasons I have outlined.

WRT damage, the very first thing I did was examine the car for signs of structural damage. The first obligation you have as an owner is to mitigate further damage. I washed all the black bumper rubber off the car and wheel. The right rear wheel had a small scratch that resembles very minor wheel rash. There was no water intrusion, the doors opened and closed well and there was no increase in wind noise at highway speeds. I also checked the lower kick panel to see if there was any damage there. There were no indications of damage on the kick panel or anywhere towards the underneath of the car (battery). I followed this up by taking the car to the local Tesla Service Center and asked one of their techs to make sure I was not missing something. We even put it up on the lift and the whole underside of the car was perfect. Lastly, traffic had just begun to flow so my wife was under the 35 mph speed limit traveling in a straight line. The Lexus SuV that hit her was pulling out from a stop sign in a parking lot to merge with my wife's lane. She misjudged her entry and hit my wife with that huge plastic bumper cover at what I guess to be about a 65 degree angle. The bumper cover just "smeared" the aluminum panels against the substructure in part of the doors like a hot butter knife spreads butter. The term T bone really does not apply as there was little T bone velocity. The damage came mostly from my wife "driving by" the lady's bumper.

The above being said, you are absolutely right in that there could very well be (1) some damaged door protection structures or (2) damage to the inner fender wall behind the quarter panel. This can only been seen by removing the quarter panel or disassembling the doors. I think this is why several bidders have had independent appraisers asses the car. Both State Farm and the independent appraisers did not think there was any such hidden or structural damage. But, that does not mean we are not all wrong and that there is some hidden damage.

As for your $30K number, the market (and I) would seem to disagree with you.

I am interested in your car.
Plz call me at 360-489-2830 or send me your # to call you.
I am serious.

Respectfully,

Ayub, the DOLPHIN
Cell - 360-489-2830.
“Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then.” – Samuel Johnson. Most of us like smooth sailing when all is going our way. But if this quote is correct, and I suspect it is, then it is in the challenges and adversities of life that we really discover ourselves.

I have been absolutely buried and would like to apologize to all for not being more responsive.
I stopped by Fantastic Finishes in West Palm Beach this morning and started the Tesla Certified Repair Facility appraisal process. I will post the results but do not expect anything until after Christmas.
I also stopped by Tesla to start the trade in quotation process (I'll need this for the insurance company).
I then met with some bidders at the Port St. Lucie Super Charger station.

I got home to a full inbox. I have now sent out a form response to every bidder who has sent me a bid. I wish I had the time to respond to each one individually but had to use a form response. My family is beginning to wonder what has happened to me so I had to cut that corner.

To clarify, when I said I sent out a form response I was trying to say that I wrote up a generic non-personalized response and replied to all birders with the same note.

It was a bad choice of words as it was confusing. There is no "form" to fill out to bid. Each buyers needs are different so a form really does not make sense.

The bidding time has expired and the bidding is closed.

Amy and I are sitting down now to go over the bids. Thanks again to everyone that took the time to consider the car and place a bid. There is no doubt that there are a lot of nice, friendly intelligent people on TMC. Some have a healthy sense of humor as well. It was a pleasure reading though the bids as they came in.

Thank You!
Bill