Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sad - because I don't understand battery performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a 2015 P90D with 21” wheels for several months and achieved similar efficiency to what you are getting. My non-P 85 with 19” wheels frequently gets in the very high 200s wh/mile. On the last 30 miles of a longer flat-road freeway trip it hit 230.

Here's what worked for me to deal with range anxiety: I switched to % mode. ICE cars just tell you how much is left in the tank and even the newer ones with "miles left to fillup" are constantly readjusting through the drive. There's just do much that goes into influencing efficiency.

The rated miles are just too much information for most. AC use is nothing compared to your driving style - accelerating aggressively (we all do it, especially when they're new!), tire condition, stops/starts, temperature, ascents/descents, headwind/tailwind - these are all much more influential factors and some you can't know and some the trip planner tries to account for.

I have a 2016 90D which claims that it has a range of 272. I charge every day to 90%, I use abetterrouteplanner.com for my road trips. I've never tried to get the car past 200 miles without charging.

Maybe I could get 300 miles if everything was totally flat, 70-75F outside, I was the only person in the car, there was no wind and I was going the exact same speed the entire time with no acceleration and perfect inflated tires. When that happens, I'll be sure to brag on the forums about my efficiency and range. Until then, I'm good with the above.

Reactions: hypermails and .jg.